ADVERTISEMENT

Jay’viar Suggs

Definitely need some depth and guys who can replace Walker and OX once they leave. Barring injury, I have to think Walker is bound for the NFL after this year, he's likely a first round pick. Not sure if Ox has any eligibility left after this year. He enrolled in Jan. 2020, so he may actually have a covid year left if he wants it.
Read Walker's interview where he said he was going about business like it is his last year. Trying to get to the point of going 110% every play. Really wants to help UK 'get over the hump' and prove people wrong about our program not being able to rise further. Loves Lexington and not just wanting to leave but wants to prepare himself for a great year not just for himself but the team also. Really fortunate to have a young man in this program like him.

But HC at LSU said they werent going to buy players...FWIW
Right, I didn't mean "sell" about money. but that Kelly would convince Suggs he was a missing piece to re create a dominant LSU traditional defense.

Definitely need some depth and guys who can replace Walker and OX once they leave. Barring injury, I have to think Walker is bound for the NFL after this year, he's likely a first round pick. Not sure if Ox has any eligibility left after this year. He enrolled in Jan. 2020, so he may actually have a covid year left if he wants it.
Agreed...I expect heavy DL loss after this season in Ox, Silver, Walke and probably Rybka....that is your starting DLine and backup at DT/DE in Ox.

So maybe Suggs is an eye to 2025 to take the DE spot. But I'd argue Brian Robinson looks like a stud that will end up with his hand on the ground nad move to DE/DT. So I'd like to see Brian Robinson groomed to take a starting spot in 2025 if the issue is what are we going to do after next season.

If UK did indeed lose Zeismer/Gadson to injuries that may require them missing all or part of '24, a DL pickup is a must. Don't forget DH-Y is recovering from surgery too. Most really good D college teams have 8-10 man DL rotation. Gotta keep the big guys fresh!
Injuries are just assumed with every d-line rotation going into the season. Never enough depth it seems like.

Right, I didn't mean "sell" about money. but that Kelly would convince Suggs he was a missing piece to re create a dominant LSU traditional defense.

Gotcha, I thought thats what you meant. I just thought Kelly's comment was very interesting in any case.
Thanks

Reactions: JASUN74
The defense still lacks a true pass rusher other than Walker but he's a NG
Walker is a DT more than anything, Silver backed by Hayes are NGs. However, they move Walker all around the line, DE, DT, NG, even a MLB at times. Good situation to have a guy that versatile.

The defense still lacks a true pass rusher other than Walker but he's a NG
I honestly can’t understand why the elite of the elite pass rushers aren’t beating the door down to come here after watching Allen. Is it money, the program not big enough for the top guys or what? This staff has shown they can get players better so I just can’t figure it out. I should add that the last class may actually have a big dog or two who turn into something special, before that though it hasn’t worked like I thought it would after Josh. Also on the comments about Ox. How many thought, like I did before he got hurt or during that LSU game, that he would still be here this year. I thought, dang , he’s working his way to the league quicker than I hoped. Sucks he got hurt and very glad he made such a great recovery, hopefully this season he shows out and gets back to us thinking NFL potential.

I honestly can’t understand why the elite of the elite pass rushers aren’t beating the door down to come here after watching Allen. Is it money, the program not big enough for the top guys or what? This staff has shown they can get players better so I just can’t figure it out. I should add that the last class may actually have a big dog or two who turn into something special, before that though it hasn’t worked like I thought it would after Josh. Also on the comments about Ox. How many thought, like I did before he got hurt or during that LSU game, that he would still be here this year. I thought, dang , he’s working his way to the league quicker than I hoped. Sucks he got hurt and very glad he made such a great recovery, hopefully this season he shows out and gets back to us thinking NFL potential.
I think some of it is just that finding guys Josh Allen don't come around often. Even 5 star edges don't produce like they're advertised in college or pros. It's like the quarterback position... It's incredibly difficult to find a guy that's big enough (Elvis Dumervil types are an incredible exception) and have that one step burst and timing. Some of that stuff is unteachable. You can teach every pass rush move possible, but the guy executing it has to have that timing that just can't be taught.

That LSU game... dude was playing UNCONSCIOUS. Thought we had the makings of a future 1st rounder or maybe early day 2 pick.

Wade & Fearby were both 4* DE recruits we signed after the Josh Allen era, both had tons of power program offers

But yes agree, this D desperately has missed an edge rush terror since Allen left. No secondary can sit in zone forever with the QB sitting back under zero pressure looking for an open reciever.

Wade & Fearby were both 4* DE recruits we signed after the Josh Allen era, both had tons of power program offers

But yes agree, this D desperately has missed an edge rush terror since Allen left. No secondary can sit in zone forever with the QB sitting back under zero pressure looking for an open reciever.
Fearbry will be a good one before he leaves. Just needs to mature: add a little size and strength. He has the rest of the tools.

I think some of it is just that finding guys Josh Allen don't come around often. Even 5 star edges don't produce like they're advertised in college or pros. It's like the quarterback position... It's incredibly difficult to find a guy that's big enough (Elvis Dumervil types are an incredible exception) and have that one step burst and timing. Some of that stuff is unteachable. You can teach every pass rush move possible, but the guy executing it has to have that timing that just can't be taught.

That LSU game... dude was playing UNCONSCIOUS. Thought we had the makings of a future 1st rounder or maybe early day 2 pick.
I agree with all of this of course, I was just thinking of the higher ranks kids who’s been offered by the top programs out of high school. I definitely get your points for sure. I understand we’re great at improving guys who actually work hard , it’s just a mystery to me I guess. Still, I will say I love the guys our staff goes all in for and am a firm believer they’re one of the best staffs in the country at finding the right players for the program. Thanks for your post Ky Texan

Won't happen. Late 1st round or 2nd.

No. And that isn't a knock.

Those are very nice tools. But not unique. Walker is an excellent player but hasn't approached the kind of player he can become. There wasn't enough improvement between 2022 and 2023. His performance in 2024 will determine how wealthy he will be in 2025.
PFF has him going #5. CBS mock draft has him #7.

Reactions: The-Hack
PFF has him going #5. CBS mock draft has him #7.
I was responding to a statement that he might go #1 in the entire draft. That won't happen. I don't attach any credibility to a mock draft 4 months before the season starts. These projections will change. Where he actually slots will depend on the 2024 season. He certainly has the size. But the top of the first round is mainly for QBs, LTs, and dominant edge rushers.

Reactions: satcheluk
I think some of it is just that finding guys Josh Allen don't come around often.

And that development takes time.

Josh Allen had a respectable 6.5 sacks his Junior year, but none the second half of the season, against mostly SEC teams.

He listened to sound advice, stayed put, Brad White was brought in from Indianapolis with some cool training techniques for edge rushers, and Allen exploded for 18.5 sacks his Senior season, 2018/19.

In other words, the next Josh Allen may well be on campus, and may have been here for a year or two.

Reactions: JASUN74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT