ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper Johnson

Honest question, when was the last time a basketball recruit with strong athletic ties spurned UK for an out-of-state non-traditional power? If he goes to UNC, I get it. But Alabama beating out UK here would be the equivalent of Stoops beating out DeBoer for Robert Horry Jr., 5-star dual threat quarterback who grew up in Tuscaloosa.

Not sure, but Alabama making the final-4 is the equivalent of them making the football playoffs. Us winning zero post-season games is the equivalent of making the toilet bowl, and losing. Definitely didn't help.

Let's be honest, our fan base would go nuts if we landed Johnson. Pope needs this.

There's tons of emotional parachutes being made right now if Johnson pulls the Alabama or UNC hat.

If Pope lands this kid, it shows he can hang with the big boys. It's not a "must-get", but it's damn close in terms of showing that Pope has arrived as a recruiter.

Going out and beating Oats, Calipari, and Davis for a kid would be a huge deal.

It might help the perception of Pope to people who want one and dones.
I hope we never get another one, unless it's a total surprise.
JJ appears to be a high volume shooter, but not a high percentage maker.

It might help the perception of Pope to people who want one and dones.
I hope we never get another one, unless it's a total surprise.
JJ appears to be a high volume shooter, but not a high percentage maker.
One and dones aren't bad. Solely depending on them is bad.

Surround Johnson with legitimate veteran players and he'll be fine.

Not sure, but Alabama making the final-4 is the equivalent of them making the football playoffs. Us winning zero post-season games is the equivalent of making the toilet bowl, and losing. Definitely didn't help.
I have been following UK since Cotton Nash. I think the answer would be this would be the first.

Reactions: Mike-D
they were the number 1 overall seed and lost in the s16

I'd love to be a 1 seed, and not lose to a 14 and 15 in the 1st round. Also, that 1 seed year, didn't they win the conference regular season and sec tournament?

I'd love to be a 1 seed, and not lose to a 14 and 15 in the 1st round. Also, that 1 seed year, didn't they win the conference regular season and sec tournament?
not sure
i just know they underachieved as a number 1 overall seed
i am not a Oates fan
if fans hated how arrogant at times Cal was then they would really hate Oates and his attitude

I remember the story of Jared Prickett on his recruiting visit to Kentucky. John Pelphrey was his host and Prickett was down to UK and ND. Pelphrey told Pricket, "If you want to play football, you go to Notre Dame. If you want to play basketball, you go to Kentucky."
Yet Dennis Johnson turned down Notre Dame to play football here.

I don't care how many Final Fours that Alabama makes. Their basketball team will always play 2nd fiddle to Alabama football. The Alabama fans are more concerned about who the 3rd string punter for their JV team is, than who a 5-Star basketball recruit named Jasper Johnson is.
So that’s basically most Div 1 Schools with an athletic director worth a crap.

I’m still stunned with this. Family is UK athletic royalty. Seems that Jasper would be jumping at the chance to play for UK rather than UK begging him to play for the top all time program.

If it’s all about 1 & done and how much nil maybe let him go. Might not bring the team first chemistry that UK is instituting. It’s a honor to be a homegrown Ky guy and get to play at UK. I would have thought he would have been like Perry, Sheppard, Moreno and Noah and couldn’t wait to put on that UK uniform.

Like to see him at UK but if he’s not all in for #9 do the Damien Harris thing but you won’t ever be fully celebrated in Ky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT