ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper Johnson

How many high school recruits do y’all think Pope will take in 2025?

The main recruits I’ve seen mentioned are Jasper Johnson, Malachi Moreno, and Tounde Yessoufou. Hopefully Oweh, Garrison, and Chandler will do well and be back in 2025 as well.
Moreno was heaping tons of praise on UNC the other day. 🤢

Did Johnson not play well this summer? Said he dropped to 17th? A high school scout said that for the next 3 or 4 years there are probably at least a couple of players in each class in Kentucky that could probably play at UK even with UK maintaining the status it is used to. Mentioned Johnson and Moreno and the next class a Weiss and someone else that was really good. Mentioned another player or two after them in the next class. Said that high school talent in Kentucky is on the rise.

Reed didn’t win an sec tournament or ncaa tournament game. Didn’t win a high school championship. Darius won a khsaa ans ncaa championship and made a bundle of money in to the nba. I don’t know what else could qualify you as a Kentucky legend

Imo they both are but let's put it in perspective: Darius was a sixth man but crucial piece on a championship team. It wasn't as if he carried them.

Reed's popularity isn't some devious bizarre favoritism. Reed was the legacy of two UK greats. That's incredibly unique and alone makes him incomparable. Then to add he was a great player who had a great season rocketing up the draft board just makes him over the top no matter the comparison.

Imo they both are but let's put it in perspective: Darius was a sixth man but crucial piece on a championship team. It wasn't as if he carried them.

Reed's popularity isn't some devious bizarre favoritism. Reed was the legacy of two UK greats. That's incredibly unique and alone makes him incomparable. Then to add he was a great player who had a great season rocketing up the draft board just makes him over the top no matter the comparison.
Reed is the son of legends. that is his legacy here.

Sure looked like he was a UGA jersey to me in that photo.
Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Did Johnson not play well this summer? Said he dropped to 17th? A high school scout said that for the next 3 or 4 years there are probably at least a couple of players in each class in Kentucky that could probably play at UK even with UK maintaining the status it is used to. Mentioned Johnson and Moreno and the next class a Weiss and someone else that was really good. Mentioned another player or two after them in the next class. Said that high school talent in Kentucky is on the rise.

In 2026, the #1 player in the country is from Louisville, but plays at a prep school in California - Tyran Stokes.

Also, Taylen Kinney from Newport is around #32, Jayden Johnson from Trinity (Louisville) is #45, and Gabe Weis from Springfield is #65. Jordan Bender from Ballard is unranked but is a player. All 4 of these guys came to Big Blue Madness last year.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
In 2026, the #1 player in the country is from Louisville, but plays at a prep school in California - Tyran Stokes.

Also, Taylen Kinney from Newport is around #32, Jayden Johnson from Trinity (Louisville) is #45, and Gabe Weis from Springfield is #65. Jordan Bender from Ballard is unranked but is a player. All 4 of these guys came to Big Blue Madness last year.
Yeah, Kinney was one mentioned along with Weiss. Also a Shuggart?, said his brother was a trainer at UK and 6-9?

Reactions: Blueblood4life2024

Stokes is a stud. He should be the top priority in ‘26.

Would be cool to land the other four guys, if there’s room for them.

Should have Perry and Noah still on the squad by then and maybe Moreno and Magwood.

Could we have 8-9 Kentucky kids on the roster in 26-27?

I’m going to say Pope signs five, maybe six.

The ‘25 class is talented and deep. Got to get as many of these guys as possible without going overboard. I don’t think he would want a roster with 7 or 8 Freshmen.

Definitely want Johnson and Moreno. Another in-state kid that looks like UK material is Magwood (originally from Louisville).

Get those three plus Riley is also a priority (if he stays in ‘25).

Maybe finish with Yessoufou and maybe another long term investment 4-star/high 3-star type.

Those six plus five guys back in Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry, and Noah.

Then use the last two spots in the portal?
After the Pango tournament (Top 30 Co-MVP), Yessoufou will be ranked higher than 4*, not even in the range of strong 3*. He hasn't been in the 3* ranking for a while now. Next updates, he will be a 5* without question. Jamie Shaw called him "the 2nd best player at the event".

He really struggled shooting the ball. abysmal from 3.

Reactions: RunninRichie
After the Pango tournament (Top 30 Co-MVP), Yessoufou will be ranked higher than 4*, not even in the range of strong 3*. He hasn't been in the 3* ranking for a while now. Next updates, he will be a 5* without question. Jamie Shaw called him "the 2nd best player at the event".
I already consider Yessoufou a 5-star. I wasn’t saying he was a 4 or 3-star.

Kinney is the real deal, quick, nice touch. Weis has talent and nice shot but needs to play every play

Is Jordan Bender related to Brandon Bender, the guy who left Louisville back in 2002?

Reactions: 1war
Well if you are going to roast Rivercatinfl you might as well get me too . I watched him when he played at Georgia but had forgotten what he looked like.

Is it that big of a deal that you felt the need to berate him?
Even if you didn’t know that was Edwards, he looks nothing like Jasper Johnson.

He was a role player on a title team. I wouldn’t call that legend territory. Legend at UK is a player who is good enough to have their jersey hoisted into the rafters.
Darius was a multi year home grown player who won a title, he was the sixth man who eventually started. He absolutely deserves a jersey before Sheppard. Reed had a chance to be a legend but unfortunately didn’t win anything, not stay long enough for a storied legacy. He took his bag but in the end his legacy will suffer here. It’s ok.

<iframe src='https://widget.spreaker.com/player?episode_id=60255119&theme=dark&chapters-image=true' width='100%' height='200px' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Dennis was on Sunday morning sports talk with Anthony White. Great interview. Big takeaway is that Pope has been in contact with him several times a week. Dennis said that they are seeing how the new hire trends. My interpretation of that is they are going to see how the team does this year but UK is high on the list. Basically the only way I don’t see Jasper at UK next year would be if Pope is a Kenny Payne let down of a program.

Young players do improve when a real coach develops their skill set.

Pope is a real coach. The previous LOSER cared zero about development--just stop by for a few months and be on the way out.

rr

^ God I hope not. That team wouldn't win 15 games.
It would depend on who the two or three transfer portal guys are.

A third year Garrison could be lottery level. Chandler has lottery potential. Johnson is presently a top 10 RSCI guy. You get that fourth year from Oweh, who looks like he has Azuibuke potential.

What if Chandler develops into a rich man's Cam Spencer? What if Oweh and Garrison get exponentially better. None of those options are farfetched either. The potential is certainly there.

Now, would I love to see Pope add Thomas and Dybantsa to the roster? Absolutely. But I don't see it happening. I'll believe Pope can land those types of guys when I see it.

He was a role player on a title team. I wouldn’t call that legend territory. Legend at UK is a player who is good enough to have their jersey hoisted into the rafters.
Darius survived BCG and stuck around..,,

2025-2026:

G - Johnson - Perry - Magwood
G - Chandler - Transfer portal - Magwood
F - Oweh - Noah
F - Transfer portal - Moreno
C - Garrison - transfer portal
Good projected lineup. That is very realistic.

My only changes would be moving Perry behind Chandler and Moreno behind Garrison.

Perry is better playing off the ball.

Moreno is a 7’0 post player. He’ll be the backup 5.

So we would definitely need to add two stretch 4’s from either the ‘25 class or the portal.

Reactions: Fox2monk
2025-2026:

G - Johnson - Perry - Magwood
G - Chandler - Transfer portal - Magwood
F - Oweh - Noah
F - Transfer portal - Moreno
C - Garrison - transfer portal
I’d love to get that new guard we just got into recruiting Jerry Easter, he’s on team USA and rising along with Magwood. Obviously Peterson would be number 1 if we can’t nab Dybantsa, but I hope we try! Having Moreno and Johnson in state is amazing for that class.

Nate Ament is a stretch forward who we have prioritized, and he’s ranked 13 in the class. Prototypical stretch forward at 6’9” and 190 pounds. Seems to fit the mold of guys were are recruiting for the system.

Tounde Yessoufou is also intriguing, he’s more of a small forward high motor athletic guy. Don’t know if he can shoot it or not though. Number one forward in California who’s listed as a PF, but he’s only 6’5”. Says he has a great handle and explodes into the lane. If he develops an outside game he would be tough. Don’t know how high he is on the list, but he’s 16 overall so he’s very good in this class which is deep. Lots of coaches love him because he plays hard every minutes he’s on the court and affects the game like a Swiss Army knife.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT