ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson #11 in new ESPN mock draft.

How many years now has a guy been projected to go high and when draft day gets here there are five foreigners taken ahead of them? Nobody that anybody has ever even heard of. And nobody seems to ever tell these guys that.
Well couldn’t that happen in any draft? So when would they know when is the time to leave ?

Also plenty of them were projected to go high and still went high .

Some of you guys might want to tell Jackson he is gone, cause he definitely doesn't seem so sure. You would think someone definitely gone would be doing as many autograph tours, media blitz and endorsement deals as possible. He is leaving thousands upon thousands on the table just waiting around Lexington. Not to mention he could have an agent who fronts him a large amount of cash as well to get going. No fancy cars reported, no private training sessions with specialized trainers, and several videos of him working out at Craft with teammates. His own dad is on record saying he doesn't mind to work longer if Isaiah wants to stay in school and get better guarantees next year. Sure doesn't appear "gone" yet!

To bad they can't have a preliminary draft where each team makes their picks and if you don't like where you fall in the draft you can take your name out. Then there is a better understanding where you will get drafted in the actual draft and if you should stay in or not.

Right now all it takes is for one team to say they will take you if available and then change their mind. Next thing you know you possibly went from bottom of the lottery to second round with no guaranteed contract because that team didn't stick with what they said.

To bad they can't have a preliminary draft where each team makes their picks and if you don't like where you fall in the draft you can take your name out. Then there is a better understanding where you will get drafted in the actual draft and if you should stay in or not.

Right now all it takes is for one team to say they will take you if available and then change their mind. Next thing you know you possibly went from bottom of the lottery to second round with no guaranteed contract because that team didn't stick with what they said.
I get your p[point but couldn't NBA teams do the same thing in preliminary draft? They would probably choose wrong trying to mess with other teams. Unless you mean they had to honor the preliminary draft, then why not just move draft up?

I don't have any problem with guys like him leaving at all.He should go.It's guys like Ashton and EJ leaving that frustrates me.

Agreed but what the hell are you supposed to do? I think the answer is recruit more KY kids that are 4 year players. But they would have to be patient folks...or it is this transfer portal stuff.

Neither of those guys were ever going to sniff the league truly but will have successful careers overseas.

My hope is the name/likeness ruling will positively impact them and more stick around.

Reactions: SosaUK87
Some of you guys might want to tell Jackson he is gone, cause he definitely doesn't seem so sure. You would think someone definitely gone would be doing as many autograph tours, media blitz and endorsement deals as possible. He is leaving thousands upon thousands on the table just waiting around Lexington. Not to mention he could have an agent who fronts him a large amount of cash as well to get going. No fancy cars reported, no private training sessions with specialized trainers, and several videos of him working out at Craft with teammates. His own dad is on record saying he doesn't mind to work longer if Isaiah wants to stay in school and get better guarantees next year. Sure doesn't appear "gone" yet!
You keep on believing that !

• Haha
Reactions: LEDGENDARY
I don't generally like to do player comparisons but Jackson's size, athleticism and game are incredibly close to Hayes of the Pelicans, who went towards the end of the lottery and was playing very well to end this past season, his second year.

I can't see IJ going any later than the middle of the 1st round and I think he should go. We'll be fine, with lots of guys that can play the 4.

It's been obvious he was leaving for a long time now.I don't know why some hang on to hope about it.
Listen I’m one that’s always been in the boat of 99% of the time these guys are gone. But let’s not act like Jackson hasn’t acted somewhat differently then most of the others have in the past once they declared. Not many that we have seen dont hire an agent for months, stick around and train with guys that are definitely on the tram next year, only train and practice at the UK practice facilities. Now I fully expect him to stay in the draft I just also understand why some would see that there could be a change with this one.

Why would he come back when there are millions of dollars waiting for him right now. There's very little certainty left in the world from a financial perspective. Take the money while it's there and if the economy falls flat in a few years, he can buy a farm in Alabama with a fishing pond and live the simple life.

Take the money. Brooks is probably waiting to see what he does anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: University-6

Or just make every player eligible so that nobody has to declare. If you’re drafted you have the choice to stay or go. If a player is undrafted then they can return to college with no harm done. And, if a player IS drafted but opts to play another season in college they will be the property of whichever team drafts them. Like how Boston drafted Bird after his JR season & he returned to ISU. He played out his SR season but he was already a Celtic.

Idk why they have to put the kids in a position to have to take that chance & risk everything, anyway. The NBA could create some sort of insurance policy against injury for the kids who are drafted but remain in school so they have SOME guaranteed money. And, they could still invite the top 50-100 in for evaluations without it affecting their amateur status. Just seems like there are a few options that would be much better than what they have now. It’s basically a one sided deal that benefits only the NBA & maybe 20-30 kids each year who defy the odds. The rest have to go overseas or are in limbo with their scholarships taken away. I just don’t understand why there has to be such a stiff penalty for betting on yourself & going undrafted.

I get your p[point but couldn't NBA teams do the same thing in preliminary draft? They would probably choose wrong trying to mess with other teams. Unless you mean they had to honor the preliminary draft, then why not just move draft up?
Yeah make it actual picks they have to take. Then if the players back out they have time to research their picks for the actual draft. Works for both parties so they don't get stuck with someone who absolutely doesn't want to be there at that point in the draft.

Reactions: JC CATS
Or just make every player eligible so that nobody has to declare. If you’re drafted you have the choice to stay or go. If a player is undrafted then they can return to college with no harm done. And, if a player IS drafted but opts to play another season in college they will be the property of whichever team drafts them. Like how Boston drafted Bird after his JR season & he returned to ISU. He played out his SR season but he was already a Celtic.

Idk why they have to put the kids in a position to have to take that chance & risk everything, anyway. The NBA could create some sort of insurance policy against injury for the kids who are drafted but remain in school so they have SOME guaranteed money. And, they could still invite the top 50-100 in for evaluations without it affecting their amateur status. Just seems like there are a few options that would be much better than what they have now. It’s basically a one sided deal that benefits only the NBA & maybe 20-30 kids each year who defy the odds. The rest have to go overseas or are in limbo with their scholarships taken away. I just don’t understand why there has to be such a stiff penalty for betting on yourself & going undrafted.
I like this idea but you are going to have to explain a little to me. So say I get drafted #30 in the first round and didn’t like that. That team owns my rights, so I’m still not gonna be a lottery pick right? So what good would it do to come back to school? Might as well start earning if that’s the best you can do? Ya know?

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Yeah make it actual picks they have to take. Then if the players back out they have time to research their picks for the actual draft. Works for both parties so they don't get stuck with someone who absolutely doesn't want to be there at that point in the draft.
The way drafts work and being so secretive. I don’t see it working out like that ever. Maybe the top couple picks would be accurate but after that, it would be a mess, IMO.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I like this idea but you are going to have to explain a little to me. So say I get drafted #30 in the first round and didn’t like that. That team owns my rights, so I’m still not gonna be a lottery pick right? So what good would it do to come back to school? Might as well start earning if that’s the best you can do? Ya know?
Lol. Yeah, there would need to be some tweaks, for sure. I didn’t put a ton of thought into it, just a rough first draft. But, maybe put all the risk onto the NBA teams & allow players to decline if they don’t like where they are picked. I really think a 3 year rule like baseball & football would be the simplest & best way to go.

Lol. Yeah, there would need to be some tweaks, for sure. I didn’t put a ton of thought into it, just a rough first draft. But, maybe put all the risk onto the NBA teams & allow players to decline if they don’t like where they are picked. I really think a 3 year rule like baseball & football would be the simplest & best way to go.
Oh for sure. I love the idea, just not sure how it would work.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
All the NCAA needs to do is say that you can come back to school even if you're drafted.
What about the NBA tho? What do they do? Are they screwed out of a pick? Im sure they have some type of contract and language in that contract that if you sign up for the draft, that’s it. What happens, happens. Ya know?

Listen I’m one that’s always been in the boat of 99% of the time these guys are gone. But let’s not act like Jackson hasn’t acted somewhat differently then most of the others have in the past once they declared. Not many that we have seen dont hire an agent for months, stick around and train with guys that are definitely on the tram next year, only train and practice at the UK practice facilities. Now I fully expect him to stay in the draft I just also understand why some would see that there could be a change with this one.
Agreed

Well couldn’t that happen in any draft? So when would they know when is the time to leave ?

Also plenty of them were projected to go high and still went high .
Yeah, some do go high but how many go lower than what they are told? Just saying if someone is telling him he will go 11th then I would almost guarantee it will be lower for two reasons. One is the foreigners they don't talk much or any about and second his offensive game is a ways off to developing. He is a great natural shot blocker and all the other things to his game is going to take time and I just can't see several teams passing on a lot of guys that is far better offensively with a more complete game.

It's been obvious he was leaving for a long time now.I don't know why some hang on to hope about it.

I think he goes.
But no it’s not been obvious at all. Quite the opposite. He’s not hired an agent, when if he was obviously going he would have. He seems to be hanging around campus working out with teammates. And his dad said both, they talked to PJ and his dad, and there is no rush they can work another year. All of those things say he is at least on the fence. I still only give 30% odds he returns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT