ADVERTISEMENT

J. Edwards

You’re a clown. I was kidding. It’s becoming painfully obvious the ranking services all whiffed on the kid.
No what “whiffed” is you 2 or 3 dumbasses that run your mouth like a middle school girl about everything just to try and get some attention. Nobody likes you, just go home. It’s like school was for you, no girlfriend, being a nerd and picked last for everything except picking boogers which you were given a certificate for.

We aren’t that important.

This board is for discussion about ALL aspects of the UK Basketball program. Good AND bad. As long as it’s done in the proper manner, what is the problem?

EVERYONE on this board wants to see Edwards play up to the potential he exhibited as a top 3 recruit. If he can get to where he SHOULD be, this team could become legendary. That’s the reason for all the concern regarding where he is right now.

It’s more than understandable.
Or, you know, we could play Shep, Dilly, and Adou more (when he’s back). Does Edwards do anything better than Adou? People had said he’s a better three-point shooter - but that’s statistically not true.

Why should he care? He’s guaranteed a starting spot no matter what.

Well, at the very least...... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's becoming apparent that he is not what he was supposed to be. However, he's a decent player. 10 & 4 isn't bad. He really just needs to play like Thiero....more aggressive on defense and the boards and shoot less 3's. My fear is Cal will hold back Theiro waiting on Edwards to "turn the corner".

I like Edwards. He’s a good, but not great player yet. Frankly, he just still looks like a freshman. Thiero currently does everything Edwards can do but better. And he’s got infectious energy. When he returns, he needs to get more minutes than Edwards. Just truth

This is not a negative comment just a serious question. What exactly did he excel at in High School that made him a top recruit and potential #1 draft pick and what or why has that changed?
I really don’t know. Every time I read what a scout said about him it was always really vague like “he has all the tools to be special” or something like that. It made me a little nervous from the get go.

I expected Edwards to be much better than he has been, especially after all the hype and rankings. However, he can actually make basketball plays. I’ve seen recruits who didn’t even look like they knew how to shoot or make basic basketball plays during the Cal era.

No way Edwards is the biggest bust.
The scouting reports on Edwards were not very generous. All the struggles we're seeing with him were in those reports. There was one VERY LONG report I remember reading, it may have been a collection of different scout's thoughts at some tournament. The one improvement I saw with him last night was a willingness to go with his right hand.

Reed is killer regardless how many points he scores. Cal is trying to get Edwards to shoot himself out of his funk (7 shots isn't really even that many). Unfortunately Edwards is still too deep in his own head. We are twice as dangerous if we get Edwards playing closer to how he should be able to.
How do we know this is the issue? He's always been "the man" and now he's not. Just think Mitchell and Reeves.

So what? There’s no rule that one must be the same size as the guy he replaces in a lineup. In the lineup I’m talking about 6’6” Reeves plays the three spot. That is EASILY big enough for the three in today’s game. Hell, when you factor in that our other two front line starters go 7’1” and 6’9”, it would still give us one of the biggest frontlines in CBB.

Bottom line: I think a team should start one of the combinations that works best for it, and we have NOT been doing that. EVERY damn game we play our best when we go to the three guard lineups (with Reeves at the three). The evidence is overwhelming now on what combination plays best for this team …and it sure ain’t the one we start.
I think we need more size at times given our rebounding issues. I think a healthy Theiro would be a huge help right now. The guys you mention have been getting more minutes than Edwards of late even without AT anyway. I know you prefer to toss people in the trash quickly when they don't live up to what you expect. It is unheard of for any one with a shred of talent to take at least part of their freshman to find their comfort zone after all. He seems to be sitting at about 7th in our rotation currently and averaging nearly 10 ppg. All this hand wringing seems rather drastic at this juncture. I'll see how things play out first.

Lacks elite athleticism. Iffy jumper but nice form. Has zero handle with his right.

No clue how he was the top prospect in this class. Every one of those analysts should be run out of the business. How could they not see he can't dribble with his right hand at all?

Does have good physicality and hustle though and seems selfless. Much to be said for that for sure, but just isn't close to the top player. Great glue guy though and I do think his shooting improves because he has a nice stroke

How do we know this is the issue? He's always been "the man" and now he's not. Just think Mitchell and Reeves.

We don't know because we're not on the staff but speaking in absolutes is an RR past time. Last night you could tell they were running plays back to back for Edwards in the 2nd half trying to get him going. You can tell based off his body language.

He's like Clarke and Boston from a few years back where their talent and potential in high school didn't translate to the college level, which happens sometimes. Some exceed expectations, some are where you expect them, and others fall short. It's what happens with teens. But it's quite evident the entire team is trying to give Edwards the nudge to break through.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
His defense is more of a disappointment than his shooting. Mizzou and Florida was running ISO plays for whoever he was guarding, As long and athletic as he is, it’s baffling how bad he is on the defensive end. His lateral quickness is lacking and he struggles with staying squared up on his man. He is also slow to rotate, which makes him look even worse. Hope he can get better.

He seems to HATE any contact. He is a great rebounder when he goes after them, but gets pushed around against big physical teams.
I think some of the lack of lateral quickness can be fixed if he'd get into a better defensive stance...he gets beat off the dribble a lot because he's standing, or closing out, in too much of an upright stance

Reactions: catben
I think we need more size at times given our rebounding issues.
Sheppard and Reeves both have better rebounding averages than Edwards, and Dillingham rebounds at nearly the same rate. So that’s a rather horseshit excuse for not starting our best lineup. There would not be any significant loss of rebounding, and we'd be better in nearly every other way.

I know you prefer to toss people in the trash quickly when they don't live up to what you expect.

And this statement is TOTAL HORSESHIT. Simply suggesting that a guy shouldn't start ain't "tossing him in the trash." Reed and Dillingham don't start, so do you think that means they've been "tossed in the trash" by Cal? Edwards can still get plenty of minutes and opportunity in an off the bench role. And if he starts playing better, he can move back into the starting lineup.

You know, there used to be this crazy notion that a starting spot is something a player had to earn, not something that was automatically granted upon arrival. Reed and Dillingham have earned it with their play, Edwards has not. What's more, the evidence OVERWHELMINGLY shows that this team plays best when we go with the three guard set (with Reeves at the three).

So here's a crazy thought: maybe we should actually try starting our best lineup.

Last edited:
First things first, there is not one person on here who wants Edwards to fail or be a bust. This is a UK message board, however, so if someone has something to do with UK basketball, we all have a right to discuss. On top of that, now that they are making more NIL money than most of us make in a year, they are no longer KIDS that can't be critiqued. IMO

But with that said, we may have to realize that Edwards is going to be a decent/good player, and not some superstar like was predicted in high school. That actually may be a good thing, because this team doesn't need him to be a superstar. He is going to give you 15-20 minutes, 7-10 points, couple rebounds, couple assists, and play a little D. I didn't see anything in high school, or in his time this season thus far, to expect more.

Unfortunately, we are 14 games into the season and usually what you see, is what you get. I don't know of any UK player from the past who played 14 games and all of sudden doubled his output the rest of the season. That doesn't happen. I don't think anybody that has watched all 14 games really expects that.

When I see him play, it looks like he does indeed have the weight of the world on his shoulders. Like he has a big entourage/family expecting millions from the NBA. I do hope something gets figured out, but the confidence just does not seem to be there.

The insane thing to me is this, and it's relatively simple. Two of the three most efficient offensive players on the team are Reed and Rob. Reed averages 26 mins and Rob averages 22 mins. That's a concern. DJ has been MUCH better lately, but he's still wedged between Thiero and Edwards in offensive efficiency. And he averages the second most minutes on the team. I'm still convinced, with this team, the rotation is relatively simple.

Three of DJ, Reed, Reeves, and Rob need to be on the floor at ALL times. No more playing Edwards at the 3. Then you have two of the five of Bradshaw, Mitchell, Thiero, Ugo, and Edwards on the floor. Obviously you don't want Thiero and Edwards together, and the same can be said of Bradshaw and Ugo. As long as Thiero is out it pretty much simplifies things. But if he's healthy, he's literally the perfect stretch 4 for the group, basically as Mitchell's backup. This basically leaves Edwards out, which is tough. I'm fine with continuing to find time for him, but not at the expense of the four guards.

Three of DJ, Reed, Reeves, and Rob need to be on the floor at ALL times. No more playing Edwards at the 3.
Judging purely by results, this absolutely appears true. I think in EVERY game this season this team has played best when 3 of those 4 guards are on the floor at the same time. And it struggles when only 2 of them are in.

Yet we still have people who insist that Edwards must start, or who seem to think Thiero is his only alternative. I don’t get it. It’s almost like they don’t actually watch the games at all.

Guess I'm in the minority and like how the program is handling Justin Edwards right now. I am not seeing any complaints from Edwards or bad body language when he sits-and his minutes are not nearly as much as expected. He sits quite a bit and has but is supportive/great teammate. For those who want to mock that-go look at last year's team when someone would do something positive and the half assed interest from teammates-it was poisonous.

Thought he showed some flashes at beginning of UF game and was active and good on both ends and then last night at start of 2nd Half-loved how they went to him and got him going a bit-the play that I felt was big--when he missed the and 1 FTA, he gets involved in the loose ball and is on the floor and eventually Cats get ball back and score-making it a 4 pt trip and really after that moment, never felt Missouri was going to be a threat. Not saying that he was catalyst but he was willing to "next play" a negative (missed FT) and fight/compete. Loved his euro to right finish in open court too.

Justin doesn't need to be putting up monster numbers every night-but get back to Toronto Edwards-which was impacting the game in various ways and the scoring output will grow with his confidence in contributing in various ways. Love his game--would also love if he stayed another year for his development but we know how that goes in today's CBB, at UK, and also the fact Justin is one of the older FR Cal's had as opposed to DJ or what Boogie Fland will be next year.

Give me "TJ" (Toronto Justin) and this team goes next level. When that happens? Up to him to produce, but he's got it in him, he's working on his game and if that's taking place which Cal said it is-he's not had a player not eventually get over the hump. But with '24 class-if you added 1 more guy to forward/wing spot and kept Justin for '25 team....he would get where he was projected to be IMO. Go when you are ready to be a Pro which was Cal's message last night and while we hope it happens in '24 season to finalize the roster's production and make them really tough to deal with--if it doesn't-this team can still win/contend and he can come back and finish his development next year. He's close though--really close to a breakthrough and he's shown flashes-now those grit/tough plays need to become more often and the shots will start falling more often. Just how the karma of sports tends to work in my experience as a player/coach/fan.

Kid needs a second year and possibly a third from what he’s shown so far. I know that’s a ridiculous statement in this era but from what I’ve seen he looks like a freshmen, the rest for the most part play like upperclassmen.
What’s real crazy is that he’s a year and a half older than DJ Wagner and six months older than Adou. Dude is a fvcking 20 year old freshman. Lmao

What’s real crazy is that he’s a year and a half older than DJ Wagner and six months older than Adou. Dude is a fvcking 20 year old freshman. Lmao
Some people hit their peak earlier than others, his age really isn’t that big of a factor. He’s still young

Well, that’s just silly. There’s no logical reason that Reed and Dillingham need to come off the bench together. That’s just an excuse folks like you are making up to try to rationalize what Cal is doing.

And, frankly, I don’t care if it’s Reed or Dillingham who gets a chance to start. But ONE of them should. Lord knows they’ve earned it. In literally EVERY game this season our best lineup has been the three guard set where Reeves is at the three spot and two out of the Wagner/Reed/Dillingham trio are at the other two guard spots.

I just find it quite odd how Cal has SO stubbornly refused to even try starting the combinations that have actually played best for his team this season.

Agreed. All marketing deals with CCC no doubt. Happens almost every year.

Being a year and a half older doesn’t necessarily mean he’s been playing organized basketball that much longer though
I haven’t seen any stories that mentioned Edwards started playing basketball later in life than most guys that end up in his position. Have you?

I haven’t seen any stories that mentioned Edwards started playing basketball later in life than most guys that end up in his position. Have you?
No I haven’t seen anything, I’m just assuming he has the same amount of experience because he’s in the same class

Reminds me of when people kept saying Ashton Hagans should still be in high school, while he was actually a 20 year old freshman 😅. I was 17 when I started college, 20 year old freshman is wild to me.

Reminds me of when people kept saying Ashton Hagans should still be in high school, while he was actually a 20 year old freshman 😅. I was 17 when I started college, 20 year old freshman is wild to me.
A lot of times it’s because of the month their birthday is in, some people don’t get to start school until they’re 6 because of that

A lot of times it’s because of the month their birthday is in, some people don’t get to start school until they’re 6 because of that
Lol … yes, but even starting Kindergarten at 6 (my daughter did this) that still makes them a 19 year old college freshman, not 20. They wouldn’t turn 20 until their sophomore year even in the case they start school at 6. You’d have to start kindergarten at 7 to be 20 as a college freshman (or be held back at some point, or spend a year at a prep school).

20 is an old freshman no matter how you slice it.

Lol … yes, but even starting Kindergarten at 6 (my daughter did this) that still makes them a 19 year old college freshman, not 20. They wouldn’t turn 20 until their sophomore year even in the case they start school at 6. You’d have to start kindergarten at 7 to be 20 as a college freshman (or be held back at some point, or spend a year at a prep school).

Maybe his mom kept him out a year, I don’t know. It is an old freshman I agree, I was 17 when I graduated high school, but it still doesn’t mean that he should be the best freshman on the team that’s all I’m saying. Age doesn’t always equal experience and everyone grows at their own pace

Maybe his mom kept him out a year, I don’t know. It is an old freshman I agree, I was 17 when I graduated high school, but it still doesn’t mean that he should be the best freshman on the team that’s all I’m saying. Age doesn’t always equal experience and everyone grows at their own pace
Of course not, I could have been been 25 and still not good enough. I think what most people are getting at is he was billed as the best of the entire group, and he’s just not. And that’s okay. I like the guy. 10-15 years ago I’d be saying man imagine this guy as a sophomore, he could be really good! Problem is today we know that’s not going to happen. People just expect more because of the hype, and they know we’re only getting him one year.

Of course not, I could have been been 25 and still not good enough. I think what most people are getting at is he was billed as the best of the entire group, and he’s just not. And that’s okay. I like the guy. 10-15 years ago I’d be saying man imagine this guy as a sophomore, he could be really good! Problem is today we know that’s not going to happen. People just expect more because of the hype, and they know we’re only getting him one year.
No I agree I hold out hope for the very slim chance he does come back, probably won’t happen but who knows how good he could be as a sophomore

Reactions: STL_Cat

This. He was a 7 year old kindergartener! Lmao WOW!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT