ADVERTISEMENT

Izzo on undefeated UK

He was asked on the SEC teleconference today how it UK going 40-0 would compare to Indiana in 1976. Here's his full response:

On how it would compare to Indiana in 1976 if Kentucky goes undefeated:
I mean, it's different in some ways. So much comes down to -- I think John's done a hell of a job. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the way everything's worked out. I don't know what it's going to do for college basketball and everything like that, but he's withstood the pressure, he's dealt with the young guys. I think that's been great. Bobby Knight's team -- from what I know of it; it was a long time ago, but -- his team was built on a lot more veterans and everything. I don't know what you'd consider. I know the SEC isn't as strong and I don't know where the Big Ten was then. I don't know who they played in the nonconference. There's so many things I don't know. But I know this: If you can go undefeated in '76, 2015 or 3012, it's still an incredible accomplishment. Because no matter who you played, that pressure on it all the time is very difficult. And I give him a lot of credit for how he's handled his team and what they've done. I just don't know how you compare the two, to be honest with you.

On if it's not always easy managing an NBA-type roster or if it's not that hard:
I think John's got a niche now that it's easier, because I think he -- sometimes it's harder to control the, as you say, NBA roster, but the niche there is that if you don't, you don't play. He's got another guy there that's also on the NBA roster. Most of us don't have that, so you have to put up with a little bit more maybe. But he doesn't have that issue. But I think he's got issues like how do they defend, how do you run an offense? You're talking about a lot of young kids, and he's done as it as well as anybody as far as getting those kids ready to play, and they've been progressing and they've had a chance to grow. I know that league isn't as good, when you have a Florida that's barely .500. I mean, they're usually one of the dominating teams in the league. And so maybe those kids have been able to grow a little easier than some years. But it's worked, he's done it. If he goes undefeated, incredible accomplishment, no matter if he's got 12 McDonald's All-Americans instead of 10 or if he's got 12 pros, first-round picks. It's still difficult to do that, especially with young guys.

Calipari got asked about the snipped of the comments that had made it onto Twitter (not the quote in full context) on today's SEC teleconference and had this to say:

First of all, I didn't hear them, but Tom and I are friends. I like the
comments that Jay Bilas made, which is when you look at this team and
how they've come together and how they share and what they do I think
that's the narrative. How do these guys sacrifice and give up minutes
and shots to each other? How do they have the spirit they have, the team
spirit that's been able to do this? I think that should be what this is
all about, not how many guys have a chance to be pros. Other teams have
really good players too. So, I haven't talked to Tom. He and I will
talk. I haven't talked to him in a couple weeks, but he's a good man and
somebody that I consider a friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.