ADVERTISEMENT

I've read some dumb tweets, but this one is up there....

We damn well better beat Missouri this week. That’s what a top 25 program does. We not not contend for the East but we should beat the Missouz, South Carolinas, and Louisvilles of the world. That’s when he earns his check IMO. Keeping us in the top 20 would be fine with me.
This. You can't be the 8th highest paid coach and not field a Top 25 team. Imagine paying Cal to have us not be a T25 team.......wait.......

If we can’t achieve top 10 status then why are we paying top 10 money?
The coaches he makes more than in the SEC are Zach Arnett, Billy Napier, Hugh Freeze, Sam Pittman, Eli Drinkiwitz, Shane Beamer and Clark Lea. He's right in that middle tier of highest paid coaches in the SEC and he's performed almost right to that level. Knowing college football is now a money game and the SEC has lots of it (7 of the top 11 paid coaches in college football), I would compare him to his counterparts in the SEC and not nationally.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'm not calling for him to be fired. Not even close. I'm not naive. But 7-5 is not going to sit well with the fan base this year, just like another post season choke won't sit well with the basketball side.
Keeping in mind too, who 4 of those 7 wins could be - EKU, Ball St, and Akron in the non-conf, then Vandy in conference. That doesn't inspire much confidence in the 7 wins, in my book at least.

7 wins looks differently to me if yes, you get Vandy, FL, Mizzou but then also get someone like Texas Tech or Nebrasks early in the season, then Louisville, then like Iowa in the bowl game

I'm actually surprised how little chatter happens about UK's early non-conf schedule. 3 cupcakes wins nearly all season - which amounts to nearly half our total wins sometimes

Keeping in mind too, who 4 of those 7 wins could be - EKU, Ball St, and Akron in the non-conf, then Vandy in conference. That doesn't inspire much confidence in the 7 wins, in my book at least.

7 wins looks differently to me if yes, you get Vandy, FL, Mizzou but then also get someone like Texas Tech or Nebrasks early in the season, then Louisville, then like Iowa in the bowl game

I'm actually surprised how little chatter happens about UK's early non-conf schedule. 3 cupcakes wins nearly all season - which amounts to nearly half our total wins sometimes
The wins are primarily a product of scheduling. I'm glad someone else sees it besides me.

To me, as bad as the performance Saturday was, Stoops saying after the game the fans need to pony up more $$$ was even worse.

I'm not saying he is wrong, but you don't step up to a mic, after YOUR team lain an egg, and throw it back on the fans like "its not really our fault".

Before the game? Fine. During summer banquets with boosters? Fine. After your squad played even worse than anyone imagined? Absolutely not!

Stoops just told his team they're not good enough. Instead of focusing of ridiculous penalties, lack of execution, missing open receivers, etc.

Which is not to say we could have one the game. But even Coach Cal would have started with "I got outcoached" & "They kicked our ass" before saying i still like my guys and we're going to work to get better.

Apparently salaries having NOTHING to do with expectations. Walk in and tell your bosses tomorrow.
What rock have you been hiding under? Did you never hear about "pay for performance"? And, yes the fans are paying the coaches for poor performance. Just check the price of a ticket for the game, a hot dog at the game or your cable bill.

To me, as bad as the performance Saturday was, Stoops saying after the game the fans need to pony up more $$$ was even worse.

I'm not saying he is wrong, but you don't step up to a mic, after YOUR team lain an egg, and throw it back on the fans like "its not really our fault".

Before the game? Fine. During summer banquets with boosters? Fine. After your squad played even worse than anyone imagined? Absolutely not!

Stoops just told his team they're not good enough. Instead of focusing of ridiculous penalties, lack of execution, missing open receivers, etc.

Which is not to say we could have one the game. But even Coach Cal would have started with "I got outcoached" & "They kicked our ass" before saying i still like my guys and we're going to work to get better.
Yeah, both are snake oil salesmen and politicians and content to count their $$$ and bash the fans.

What rock have you been hiding under? Did you never hear about "pay for performance"? And, yes the fans are paying the coaches for poor performance. Just check the price of a ticket for the game, a hot dog at the game or your cable bill.
Wth? You realize I'm agreeing with you right?

the frustrating part about Stoops salary is he is getting paid for the occasional "big" win

He isn't being held accountable to compete with Georgia , he is being held accountable to compete with South Carolina, his coaching goal is to keep UK from ever being as bad as Vanderbilt (who beat us with our NFL QB)

So he has 3 preseason games where he plays for guaranteed wins with the hopes that UK eeks out 3 more SEC wins to become bowl eligible. Yes, he has had some 10 win seasons, but UK still gets its ass kicked by good teams - and UK is unlikely to have a year , even a good year where they beat both the wannabes in the same season, , Florida and Tennessee

There is a ceiling with Stoops and as LineSki said as a complement, its keeping UK in the 35-22 ranking.

For Mitch Barnhart, that apparently means you are paid crazy money compared to your peers.

UK may have a breakout season one year, but Stoops level of entitlement is getting near Calipari levels now.

Your team gave up 600 yards to Georgia and you admit you can't compete with them unless you buy the best players - and put that on the fans.

Those two need to remember what its like to be fired for sucking

Last edited:
the frustrating part about Stoops salary is he is getting paid for the occasional "big" win

He isn't being held accountable to compete with Georgia , he is being held accountable to compete with South Carolina, his coaching goal is to keep UK from ever being as bad as Vanderbilt (who beat us with our NFL QB)

So he has 3 preseason games where he plays for guaranteed wins with the hopes that UK eeks out 3 more SEC wins to become bowl eligible. Yes, he has had some 10 win seasons, but UK still gets its ass kicked by good teams - and UK is unlikely to have a year , even a good year where they beat both the wannabes in the same season, , Florida and Tennessee

There is a ceiling with Stoops and as LineSki said as a complement, its keeping UK in the 35-22 ranking.

For Mitch Barnhart, that apparently means you are paid crazy money compared to your peers.

UK may have a breakout season one year, but Stoops level of entitlement is getting near Calipari levels now.

Your team gave up 600 yards to Georgia and you admit you can't compete with them unless you buy the best players - and put that on the fans.

Those two need to remember what its like to be fired for sucking
You are reacting to one game, and you are making some assumptions. The University has a business plan and must look 10 years ahead. You may not understand every business decision they make, but that does not make them wrong.

"You’re not paying him, what does it have to do with expectations at all"

Clearly with Barnhart, there is none. Must be swell not having to live in the real world, where those things are intrinsically linked.

You are reacting to one game, and you are making some assumptions. The University has a business plan and must look 10 years ahead. You may not understand every business decision they make, but that does not make them wrong.
Yes yes, clearly these brilliant business strategies of pay without the expectation of equal production is so beyond our ability to understand. It takes an MBA from Wharton to comprehend such financial wizardry. 😏

• Haha
This has been happening for 11 seasons now. This isn’t a new trend. We aren’t competitive on the road against the top tier SEC teams.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I am not reacting to one game, I clearly laid out what the history is under stoops and the reality is its not a single game, its that regardless of the talent level UK has , UK has never competed for the SEC East, much less the SEC championship, much less a national championship.

Whatever assumptions I am making are based on the multiple years of history. No one is putting heat on Stoops to compete with Georgia , yet he is paid as if he has put a program together than can.

Georgia just happens to be in a unique position of being the single team that UK needs to beat in order to secure the SEC East, an SEC Championship and compete for a National Championship.

I saw where someone pointed out to Stoops that in his entire career here he has two wins against SEC teams that had a winning record at the end of the season, I believe he argued that point until it was pointed out that person was correct. That must have been humbling.

believe it or not, I'm a Stoops fan but he needs a bit of a reality check along with our AD.

Stoops is being paid 9 to get blood from a stone. And he gets blood from very stony soil.

Along the way from Bryant to Stoops, UK had a coach named Blanton Collier whose staff was the single most talented staff ever assembled. He went 41-36-3 in 7 years.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT