ADVERTISEMENT

I've been a college bball fan since I was 8 or 9.

UNIVKY

All-SEC
May 21, 2002
I grew up in Louisville and went to some Cards game (when dad took me...and the Cats and Cards never played then so chill....lol). Also got to attend a few UK games in Louisville my teen years.

Went to UK and NEVER missed a game except the great comeback against Kansas at Rupp (parents had been transferred to Louisiana when I went to UK, and I was there for Christmas break). Camped out every single time there were tickets being made available for students, usually in FRIGID conditions to get lower level mid court seats. Life was great!

After school, moved to NC for work and have lived here ever since. Have been to Vegas, Chicago, Columbia, Chapel Hill, Athens, Knoxville, and of course Lexington, for dozens of UK games since then.

I am now 61. I have never watched less CBB at this point in a season in my life. This isn't even about our dreadful season. It's CBB in general. Cannot even get remotely interested in this sham season. The stupid virus is a significant part of that, but it's more than that. My interest has been waning for a while.....one and done fatigue and constant roster turnover is a definite factor.

UK is my alma mater. I want us to win every single game. I check this board for info, so I still care.

But my passion is not like it was. The younger people here have no idea what I am talking about. I wouldn't either back when I was in my 20s, 30s, 40s.....

But it's definitely changed.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I posted about this, here, just last night.. in another thread. Don’t have the intestinal fortitude to lay it all out again.

I feel the same way. I have watched a few other games this year. It's a joy to watch teams like Gonzaga and Iowa that actually have structured offenses and know how to play the game, but it only makes me miss the days when we used to have that too. Now The Greatest College Basketball Program Of All Time is forced to watch an unstructured Rec Ball NBA Training Camp each year that can barley score 60 points a game, and it's not just this year. We've struggled to score points now for several years. It's cost us at least 2 more titles!!

Gonzaga is a joy to watch to watch for sure!

Unfortunately its a business now, back then .... not so much. I can't blame the kids for grabbing the money, its literally cashing a lottery ticket.

But between that and AAU ball .... college BB is a shell of its former self. And it will never be the same.

For that matter, even pro sports suck as a fan. As a kid you learned about every player on your fav team. Little turnover. Free agency ended that as a fan. But again, you can't blame players for wanting a free market.

Money ruined it all. So I guess if you want that again, follow lesser sports that aren't ruined (yet) or watch individual sports like golf or tennis where the players have to earn their jack on their own.

I don't enjoy as much. But its the way of the world.

UNIVKY ... hope you and the family are well. Miss you guys!!!

I’m also 61 years old, OP. And I’m trying to think of a single hobby, interest, past time, or favorite anything that I enjoy now with the same level of intensity as when I was a kid. Nothing comes to mind. Are you sure it’s basketball that’s changed?
Oh yeah it’s basketball. I still like women, fishing, turkey hunting, deer hunting, eating, and 4 wheel riding just as much as when I was kid.

I’m 54 , never watch other games at this point . Considering watching less of ours . The entire enterprise - college ball, is badly broken . Crooked coaches , crooked refs , crooked NCAA . But hey the money Still flows somehow . It won’t with my bucks , no more live viewing for me . After trips to Atlanta , Vegas twice , a game or two a year in Lex, the away game at Florida —- no more .

I'm older than most all of you. And (respectfully) I can't relate to much of what you are saying.

ALL Sports at ALL Levels have been changing since we were young. And we changed with it.
...Integration. Expansion. Free Agency. Money.
...Television. Cable TV. Sports Channels.
...Newspapers. Sports magazines. Internet. Chat Boards.

My Point: I do not LIKE all the CHANGES. But the fact that we log on to a Chat Board and talk about this is conclusive proof of how important this stuff is to us.

Me? I can't get enough. I still circle UK games and get depressed when we lose. I wear the colors and have evolved as a Fan.

But I'm still ME. I love my God...my one and only Wife. My family. My Country. And my Wildcats. Every Day.

I grew up in Louisville and went to some Cards game (when dad took me...and the Cats and Cards never played then so chill....lol). Also got to attend a few UK games in Louisville my teen years.

Went to UK and NEVER missed a game except the great comeback against Kansas at Rupp (parents had been transferred to Louisiana when I went to UK, and I was there for Christmas break). Camped out every single time there were tickets being made available for students, usually in FRIGID conditions to get lower level mid court seats. Life was great!

After school, moved to NC for work and have lived here ever since. Have been to Vegas, Chicago, Columbia, Chapel Hill, Athens, Knoxville, and of course Lexington, for dozens of UK games since then.

I am now 61. I have never watched less CBB at this point in a season in my life. This isn't even about our dreadful season. It's CBB in general. Cannot even get remotely interested in this sham season. The stupid virus is a significant part of that, but it's more than that. My interest has been waning for a while.....one and done fatigue and constant roster turnover is a definite factor.

UK is my alma mater. I want us to win every single game. I check this board for info, so I still care.

But my passion is not like it was. The younger people here have no idea what I am talking about. I wouldn't either back when I was in my 20s, 30s, 40s.....

Anyone else?
You are not alone. I have pretty tuned out to all sports with the NBA and college basketball at the bottom of the barrel in my world. I never dreamed I would lose my passion for UK basketball but here I am.

Did they beat Transy last night in the scrimmage?

100% feel like the OP and others. I'm not even searching for games on TV. The CBB product, cheating teams skating, cheating coaches still employed, COVID affecting games, UK stinking, awful officiating across the CBB landscape. It's just an awful product right now. I just to take it all in. It's just blah now. But I do still do one thing. I enjoy the radio broadcast from beginning to end. I miss the days of driving to find a spot just to pick up the Cats when I lived in another state. I miss getting in truck to drive around because I was too nervous to watch the TV lol. Good times.

The loss to Wisky in 15 broke me. I haven't been invested as much since then. I would plan my days around UK basketball. My wife says she is my 3rd love. Kids, UK and then her. But this yr is especially tough. I've grown tired of the revolving door of players.

It's definitely different this year. I watch a ton of college basketball every year but this year is weird. Covid has screwed it up. To me officiating plays a part. It's gotten so bad.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

Anyone else?
You are not alone, I lived and died with them for most of my 66 years wouldn't miss a game on TV and many trips to Rupp which is 275 miles from my front door...might have watched 10 minutes total this season...most of that due to what I perceive as disrespect to those that have suffered bled and died so these dudes could live in a free country.

100% feel like the OP and others. I'm not even searching for games on TV. The CBB product, cheating teams skating, cheating coaches still employed, COVID affecting games, UK stinking, awful officiating across the CBB landscape. It's just an awful product right now. I just to take it all in. It's just blah now. But I do still do one thing. I enjoy the radio broadcast from beginning to end. I miss the days of driving to find a spot just to pick up the Cats when I lived in another state. I miss getting in truck to drive around because I was too nervous to watch the TV lol. Good times.
I drove around in a storm during the UK-MSU game in '05. Just couldn't handle watching it....ha ha

Reactions: jedwar
Gonzaga is a joy to watch to watch for sure!

Unfortunately its a business now, back then .... not so much. I can't blame the kids for grabbing the money, its literally cashing a lottery ticket.

But between that and AAU ball .... college BB is a shell of its former self. And it will never be the same.

For that matter, even pro sports suck as a fan. As a kid you learned about every player on your fav team. Little turnover. Free agency ended that as a fan. But again, you can't blame players for wanting a free market.

Money ruined it all. So I guess if you want that again, follow lesser sports that aren't ruined (yet) or watch individual sports like golf or tennis where the players have to earn their jack on their own.

I don't enjoy as much. But its the way of the world.

UNIVKY ... hope you and the family are well. Miss you guys!!!

Hey Weesie!! What the heck happened in Nashville? Was it close to you?

I’m also 61 years old, OP. And I’m trying to think of a single hobby, interest, past time, or favorite anything that I enjoy now with the same level of intensity as when I was a kid. Nothing comes to mind. Are you sure it’s basketball that’s changed?

I know I have changed....marriage......3 kids....retirement...etc. I still have interest in CFB, NFL, playing fantasy, fan duel etc... just like I have before.

But yep, CBB has changed.

The driving around.....LOL.......I have done the same thing.........usually with 3-5 minutes left.........listen to the Beatles channel til I think the game is over. I have done it for UK Bball, Fballl and even some GB Packers games. Will turn to WHAS when I think its over keeping fingers crossed that Tom Leach has good news. Glad I am not alone.

That is hilarious you do the same....My wife and son (before he got married) would just laugh when I grabbed the keys......but I always record the game, to watch when/if we win "stress free".

The loss to Wisky in 15 broke me. I haven't been invested as much since then.

dint know that it broke me , it was a great season, I hated having purchased tickets to the finals , and having to sell them when I thought I was going to get to witness 40-0 and number 9 in person.

Anyone else?
I'm 58, and could have easily written this post, I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: UNIVKY
Oh yeah it’s basketball. I still like women, fishing, turkey hunting, deer hunting, eating, and 4 wheel riding just as much as when I was kid.
I'm 58 and still LOVE women for sure, lol.

LOVE to go fishing with my 15 year old son; we really enjoy bass fishing.

Really love to hunt as well, although now I mainly hunt rabbit, dove and squirrel.

Love to eat....love it too well, lol.

LOVE....LOVE....LOVE my Wildcats. Like most of you, I was one of those guys who lived and died with every game, every possession, but slowly over the past few years my interest in watching the basketball team has waned quite a bit. It literally hurts me to see our team in the shape it's in; no fundamentals in a LOT of our players over the past several years. I just want Cal to focus on bringing in guys who can actually make shots, dribble and pass. I want to see guys who play for the name on the front, not the back. I want to see guys playing with HEART, no matter if they're from Kentucky or Kalamazoo.

I want to see better officiating in all games; there's no excuse for bad officiating.

And lastly, I want to see Cal design a modern offense and use all of his scholarships....and use the damn bench as a motivating tool.

Anyone else?
You are spot on and the majority I’m confident feel like you.

The loss to Wisky in 15 broke me. I haven't been invested as much since then. I would plan my days around UK basketball. My wife says she is my 3rd love. Kids, UK and then her. But this yr is especially tough. I've grown tired of the revolving door of players.
Agree on Wisconsin loss. Took part of my soul.

College basketball is a just, overall, a really poor product. The Rock Fight 5 last year is about right.

I came of age with the 3 Dave's on JP Sports. "The good ole days" its not that you're in the AARP now OP, it's just that CBB is not good right now.

I used to make sure my Saturdays were clear to watch basketball all day and night, just like wr do for football. Gods honest truth the Gonzaga Baylor game last weekend was the first non UK game I've watched at all this year. And that was background noise while I did a few things around the house.

Anyone else?
could not agree more

Reactions: UNIVKY
Been watching every game for about 30 years. This season in football and basketball has been dreadful, hard to get yourself up to get disappointed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

THEN a multimillionaire tells you you are crazy for caring about a team that his life is built around coaching. Pretty sad.

Reactions: tomrain
Been watching every game for about 30 years. This season in football and basketball has been dreadful, hard to get yourself up to get disappointed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

THEN a multimillionaire tells you you are crazy for caring about a team that his life is built around coaching. Pretty sad.
Our craziness is precisely why he's the highest paid coach in the game. He'd do well to remember that the next time he wants to make catty comments in the media towards fans

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I recommend downloading the NAIA app and watching top 25 games on there.

Makes me feel like a kid watching those games...good spacing and passing, good ball movement, excellent shooting, and solid defense. A lot of the games end up in the 90's and some low 100's even though the defense plays pretty solid. Excellent basketball from a bunch of dudes who know they're not going pro, and that is more than likely their last go.

I totally agree with everyone, and could have also written the OPs post. I am 59 yrs old and for several years never missed a game, either in person, on TV or listening to Cawood on the radio. I have one entire room in my house dedicated to UK Basketball. I think the Whisky loss also took something out of me. Then the Kansas State loss, where we had a bye to the FF , they were mediocre to start with, and their best player played maybe 2 minutes, and we stink up the court, with whats now 8 NBA players on that team. I was somewhat OK with the loss to NC, dont get me wrong, Im never ok with us losing, but it was a good game and if not for the ROOFAree we win that game. But, then the loss to Auburn, a team we had beaten by 30, 2 weeks prior, and theyre playing without their best player who was just lost the previous game. The refusal to bench Hagans in that game after 7-8 turnovers, the refusal to go zone after we kept getting beat time after time off the dribble. I agree with so many, its definitely just not about losing this season, Its the culmination of the plow horse style, the one and done culture, the arrogance toward the fans, the refusal to recruit and play KY kids, refusal to recruit basketball players instead of the "athletes" I know so many people who feel exactly the same, who were die hard KY fans their whole lives. I think the BLM video was the final straw for so many. I know 4-5 personally, who I used to talk " how about them CATs", and rehash the games with, who said as long as Cal is coaching they will never watch another game. I really feel like the fun has been completely taken out of it the last 4=5 years,

I saw a post the other day about it only being older people losing interest. Well, my 30 yr old son was a fanatic just like me,and had his fill of Cal, hasn't watched a game now in 2 years now and swears he wont until Cal is gone.

After reading most of the posts on this thread, I will say I agree with a lot of most of what has been said. While I am still a fan and watch every game and pull hard for our team, the games are harder to watch than in years past. They are harder to watch for me because the number and length of timeouts and commercial breaks. Even with good games, the flow is constantly interrupted. A thirty second coaches timeout ends up being two minutes or more of commercials . A commercial timeout is long enough to fix a sandwich, eat it, brush my teeth and still have plenty of time to get back in front of the TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT