ADVERTISEMENT

It's on..Texas and OU not renewing Big 12 media rights

There isn't another university poised to dominate NIL, recruiting, and college sports like UTexas is. Austin is a flagship college town with an enormous market (2.3 million)... and a huge alumni base in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Fort Worth. Wherever Texas ends up, it will ultimately shake out to be them and everyone else. There is a reason Texas A&M desperately wants them out of the SEC... and I wish they would stay in another conference too.

Their advantage will manifest itself in men's basketball principally because there isn't another major sport that can be impacted by just a few talented players... and they'll be able to outbid any other university (not to mention their enormous pool of in-state talent [second only to California]).

NIL will be the death of college basketball dominance at North Carolina, Duke, KU, and UK. And Alabama's days of dominating college football are numbered as well (Bryce Young would be in 7 figures anywhere he went... he just happened to be at 'bama when NIL went live). It will take a few years to shake out and it becomes more and more apparent to kids that the bigger money is available in the bigger markets and the truly elite kids can get it anywhere. OU too... is going to have a difficult time staying relevant.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What will happen here? Don't the existing members have to vote them in? Does anyone know the rules and procedures on that? This can not be good for us.

There isn't another university poised to dominate NIL, recruiting, and college sports like UTexas is. Austin is a flagship college town with an enormous market (2.3 million)... and a huge alumni base in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Fort Worth. Wherever Texas ends up, it will ultimately shake out to be them and everyone else. There is a reason Texas A&M desperately wants them out of the SEC... and I wish they would stay in another conference too.

Their advantage will manifest itself in men's basketball principally because there isn't another major sport that can be impacted by just a few talented players... and they'll be able to outbid any other university (not to mention their enormous pool of in-state talent [second only to California]).

NIL will be the death of college basketball dominance at North Carolina, Duke, KU, and UK. And Alabama's days of dominating college football are numbered as well (Bryce Young would be in 7 figures anywhere he went... he just happened to be at 'bama when NIL went live). It will take a few years to shake out and it becomes more and more apparent to kids that the bigger money is available in the bigger markets and the truly elite kids can get it anywhere. OU too... is going to have a difficult time staying relevant.
I live in Houston. you are severely over estimating the pull UT has. only small texas towns (there are alot i give you that) care about college sports here. most of the big name players in TX in football are just as likely to go to bama as UT. No one even talks UT sports on sports radio here, its pretty much all Texans 24/7 365 days a year. and since UT has been terrible for a decade its even worse.

So this will likely be the death of the Big12/SEC Challenge. I wonder what it will be replaced with? I doubt they could add any good replacements to the Big12 that would keep this alive.

Add another L to Texas’s double digit loss record! Cal is about to dominate Beard on a yearly basis!

That is a seriously glass-half-empty take. As a matter of fact, there's only a sip or two left in the glass, period. However, you make some good points. Enough for me to start my day a little depressed. Thanks for that.

Reactions: rabbitTown

Ohio State has everything you mentioned about Texas with no instate competition from other schools.

So this will likely be the death of the Big12/SEC Challenge. I wonder what it will be replaced with? I doubt they could add any good replacements to the Big12 that would keep this alive.
That is he least of the SECs worries

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT