ADVERTISEMENT

Its always the offense . When will we ever get good movement ?

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Tonight our O and D was pathetic but more often than not its our O that lets us down. Tonight we hang a proud 60 up against a mid major in Rupp arena . The player movement in the first half was totally nonexistent . How can a coach as good as Cal not know how to institute an effective offense ?

Tonight our O and D was pathetic but more often than not its our O that lets us down. Tonight we hang a proud 60 up against a mid major in Rupp arena . The player movement in the first half was totally nonexistent . How can a coach as good as Cal not know how to institute an effective offense ?
Great points its a combo of the revolving door and stubbornness.

Our offense consists of passing the ball around the perimeter and then letting a player drive to the basket. We rarely run any imaginative sets and far too often our scoring is dependent on fast break points. I just don't have an idea what they're trying to do on offense most of the time and I don't think the players do either.

Reactions: Calsmyguy
Everyone . Every . Last . One . Knows its the offense . its the lack of offensive sets costing us wins every year , sometimes at terrible moments like Auburn . We never have enough shooters . I mean we have shooters , we dont have enough makers .
In thinking instead of sleeping I'm not convinced this team is that good . At least not near # 1 in the country good . And it revolved back around the lack of offense .
Lets take a harder look
Hagans - An absolute ball hawk , one of the best defenders in the nation , fast , great hands , but the kid lacks a good J
Quickly ? he's a roller coaster guy so far , he might be hot , he may not , can you count on him ? Are either of these two guards 1st round NBA picks ? Because we aint winning much without top flight lottery picks . Thats is proven .
Maxey -- Looked great against MSU , needs to play 35 minutes a game even if it means setting Aston or IQ more .
Nate -- Good Lordy he looked just out of place last night . He didnt even look like he belonged on the floor . When you get targeted as the guy to attack by Evansville you know your defensive needs work . I mean his D was so bad it makes former Cats we have dogged look like Gary Peyton . Question .. Cal says if you cant defend you dont play .. I guess not having a bench kept Nate on the floor last night , but going forward where are we going to hide him ???? And what does Nate bring to offset the bad D ? I'm not sure , he might be able to knock threes but he is either too slow getting it off or our O doesn't get it to him in position to take it . There again NOT a NBA player . Period .
Nick - Poor guy doesn't understand the game , so maddening , he is talented , he's huge .
But he seems to play so robotically , he doesn't understand the finer points of positioning or have sense of what to do and when to do it . is he an NBA player ? Not any time soon .
Brooks ? Who grades these guys as 5 star players
The guy that we dont know about is Juzang , he nails a corner three in the first half but we dont see him much the rest of the way . Seems like the one guy that Cal inexplicably buries every year . I have no clue why we didnt give him a little more run last night . But he's no lottery pick . How many top level NBA picks to we really have ? compared to many past season the talent level seems really low .
Well thats a still pissed off take at 6am the morning after an ugly UGLY loss. I know its early , I know teams can easily overcome Nov losses , but no one saw this one coming . After beating MSU and pummeling Eastern , you would think we could play a stinker and still survive Evansville . But they played so much harder than we did , they seemed to want the W so much more than we D , and Cal seemed awful subdued on the sidelines . Like no one was really ready to play . Hopefully we look back at the end and this game truly was a hiccup , a blink , not the signs of troubled waters ahead . but if we dont increase tempo we are not going to " out half court " teams with better offense than us .

Reactions: KFuqua
Go back and watch the 2012 team videos. We had no offense then either, what we did have was really good big men, and superior talent. Cal has not had an offensive scheme or sets since he has been here, but he always had superior talent. Sadly, the last few years, he has not had superior talent. This is why we lose in the sweet 16 and elite 8's to teams with less talent, but more experience, solid, fundamental teams. We start over each year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Win a lot of games, flame out in the tourney.

Go back and watch the 2012 team videos. We had no offense then either, what we did have was really good big men, and superior talent. Cal has not had an offensive scheme or sets since he has been here, but he always had superior talent. Sadly, the last few years, he has not had superior talent. This is why we lose in the sweet 16 and elite 8's to teams with less talent, but more experience, solid, fundamental teams. We start over each year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Win a lot of games, flame out in the tourney.

I'll set back snd see if anyone can counter that . I think you are correct .

We need to keep a 10 million dollar a year coach to recruit, and get a 500 thousand dollar a year one to coach the offense. I wish he had those salt and pepper shakers up his ass.

I'm near afraid to ask two questions .. LOL. What " salt and pepper shakers " ??

And last night some poster making a reference to " random offense". I missed any info on both these two items . Please tell me Cal's random offense isn't some new age BS like " position less basketball "

I'm near afraid to ask two questions .. LOL. What " salt and pepper shakers " ??

And last night some poster making a reference to " random offense". I missed any info on both these two items . Please tell me Cal's random offense isn't some new age BS like " position less basketball "
When he talked to that supposed dribble drive guru coach, they talked about the offense over dinner and was using salt and pepper shakers drawing up plays . Some bullshit to that effect.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Everyone . Every . Last . One . Knows its the offense . its the lack of offensive sets costing us wins every year , sometimes at terrible moments like Auburn . We never have enough shooters . I mean we have shooters , we dont have enough makers .
In thinking instead of sleeping I'm not convinced this team is that good . At least not near # 1 in the country good . And it revolved back around the lack of offense .
Lets take a harder look
Hagans - An absolute ball hawk , one of the best defenders in the nation , fast , great hands , but the kid lacks a good J
Quickly ? he's a roller coaster guy so far , he might be hot , he may not , can you count on him ? Are either of these two guards 1st round NBA picks ? Because we aint winning much without top flight lottery picks . Thats is proven .
Maxey -- Looked great against MSU , needs to play 35 minutes a game even if it means setting Aston or IQ more .
Nate -- Good Lordy he looked just out of place last night . He didnt even look like he belonged on the floor . When you get targeted as the guy to attack by Evansville you know your defensive needs work . I mean his D was so bad it makes former Cats we have dogged look like Gary Peyton . Question .. Cal says if you cant defend you dont play .. I guess not having a bench kept Nate on the floor last night , but going forward where are we going to hide him ???? And what does Nate bring to offset the bad D ? I'm not sure , he might be able to knock threes but he is either too slow getting it off or our O doesn't get it to him in position to take it . There again NOT a NBA player . Period .
Nick - Poor guy doesn't understand the game , so maddening , he is talented , he's huge .
But he seems to play so robotically , he doesn't understand the finer points of positioning or have sense of what to do and when to do it . is he an NBA player ? Not any time soon .
Brooks ? Who grades these guys as 5 star players
The guy that we dont know about is Juzang , he nails a corner three in the first half but we dont see him much the rest of the way . Seems like the one guy that Cal inexplicably buries every year . I have no clue why we didnt give him a little more run last night . But he's no lottery pick . How many top level NBA picks to we really have ? compared to many past season the talent level seems really low .
Well thats a still pissed off take at 6am the morning after an ugly UGLY loss. I know its early , I know teams can easily overcome Nov losses , but no one saw this one coming . After beating MSU and pummeling Eastern , you would think we could play a stinker and still survive Evansville . But they played so much harder than we did , they seemed to want the W so much more than we D , and Cal seemed awful subdued on the sidelines . Like no one was really ready to play . Hopefully we look back at the end and this game truly was a hiccup , a blink , not the signs of troubled waters ahead . but if we dont increase tempo we are not going to " out half court " teams with better offense than us .

I left out Whitney . For all his ink and reputation I haven't seen much , other than his horrible FT's he was invisible last night . I guess that why I forgot him

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Yep, you are right. And isn't it funny how some of these players go to the NBA and put up 30, 40 and 50 points just a year or two removed from Coach Cal?

Watching a Cal couched UK team can be miserable even in victory. If your team does not have an offensive scheme to score points that is what you get

Well we made the front head line of Fox News .. must be a slow news day " Small school downs #1 ranked Ky on their home floor "

Reactions: KyFaninNC
This is what happens to us every year because half the team is spending the first several months learning how to execute at this level. We're busy watching guys do basketball 101 and 102 when it should be 301 or 401 level execution by and large. This isnt some overreaction to last night, its been a criticism Ive had all OAD.

I didn't think the Defense was that bad but the offense at times was horrible, too many stupid turnovers, it was like they did not have a clue where players were going to be on the floor, too many possessions where they passed it once and then shot it early. Cal did not seem to be into this game either. They just stunk up the gym and got the butts beat.

Yep, you are right. And isn't it funny how some of these players go to the NBA and put up 30, 40 and 50 points just a year or two removed from Coach Cal?

Watching a Cal couched UK team can be miserable even in victory. If your team does not have an offensive scheme to score points that is what you get

This is a great point and I wondered it last night. Have to hand it to Duke.. i dont think they ever have better scorers/offensive minded players (aside from last year).. but they always seem to be able to make shots and create offense. Meanwhile, every year it seems our recruits are void of that ability.

But then in the NBA, it reverses.. our guys almost always find their offense there.

That's on Cal. And hes really the only one who can fix it. Its not like football where you can get an offensive coordinator.

My hope is that as we keep getting a bit older every year.. that we get better consistency. Last night's loss WAS also on the team not executing. We were bound to have our Bucknell/Lehigh/Mercer moment.. thank god it didnt happen in the tournament.

I'm worried . Call is great , but he does have this weakness . Offensive movement and the ability to get the right player the right shot when needed . Yeah we have scorers , yeah we have guys go off and get 30 . But when the game is tight and the competition high , can we run a set to get the right player the ball ? So much of Cal's offense seems to be the ability for someone to draw a double , then we pass it out and create ... but who is this group is going to draw a double .. absolutely NO ONE .

Last edited:
Cal's offensive "scheme" is utterly unimaginative and predictable. It's been a problem his entire tenure he's just had the talent to mask it. That is no longer the case.

This is the part I don't get. Cal's teams at Memphis were a lot of fun to watch. It's like he changed his philosophy when he got here to playing plow mule ball. Kind of like Stoops on a basketball court. We have the athletes now to run all game long and this is definitely the year to do it because we have zero reliable bigs.

Agree with most. The only "offense" we run consists of running either Quickley or Maxey off baseline screens hoping they can get open. It desperately needs to change.

Just to put this into context... the mighty Cardinals from Ball State put up 57 points against Evansville... in the 2nd half alone! We score 64 in the whole game.

This is the part I don't get. Cal's teams at Memphis were a lot of fun to watch. It's like he changed his philosophy when he got here to playing plow mule ball. Kind of like Stoops on a basketball court. We have the athletes now to run all game long and this is definitely the year to do it because we have zero reliable bigs.
It our biggest night will be draft night.

Reactions: seccats04
Cal's offensive "scheme" is utterly unimaginative and predictable. It's been a problem his entire tenure he's just had the talent to mask it. That is no longer the case.
Well I am past getting upset over this. This is Cal and he will not change. Like Aunt Bea’s pickles, learn to love it.

Our offense is 15 years old. Cal refuses to hire an assistant to run the offense. Im not faulting Cal but its just the way it is. AD and KAT dont seem to be walking in that door. Many of these kids need two and three years. As we all know thats not the program around here.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Whatever the tweaks were sure as hell did not work. Same last year, we beat pro teams in Bahamas and then get blown out by Duke.

Hell, maybe Cal should just roll out the ball and let them play.

wait till Camp Cal
Wait till February
Wait till March
Wait till next year, best class ever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT