ADVERTISEMENT

Is Trevor Lawrence trending towards being a bust?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Lost huge last night. Graphic said he/the Jags are 0-8 the last eight games he's started. Lost some weapons in the off-season but, still, what gives? The Jags were in first place in their division after 9 games, then went 1-6 to miss the playoffs. Now they're 0-3 which means they almost assuredly are going to miss them again this year.

At this point in light of his original draft position and recent big money contract, shouldn't he be playing better? I'm stunned at how inept the offense looks, and he's a huge part of it. Is he gonna turn out to be a bust or will he turn it around?

• Haha
Reactions: M4CAT
Jags fan here.....he hasn't been great, but more issues than him. O line has been a major issue.....and the biggest change from two years ago when they made a playoff run is the head coach gave up play calling duties to a young OC. It has NOT Worked out. Many Jags fans are irate of why it is taking so long for Pederson to take over the duties again, but he continues to back the young guy.

His last 2 seasons were solid to good. The overall team success has been abysmal of late though as you mentioned.

Their division is full of dog crap teams like the titans and colts. That division race is already over and look for Houston to win it by 5 games at least.

Jags fan here.....he hasn't been great, but more issues than him. O line has been a major issue.....and the biggest change from two years ago when they made a playoff run is the head coach gave up play calling duties to a young OC. It has NOT Worked out. Many Jags fans are irate of why it is taking so long for Pederson to take over the duties again, but he continues to back the young guy.
Need Fortner back at C to…

Prince Charming Hair Flip GIF

Perhaps.

Boy, you would think that 2 years is plenty of time to establish whether the OC is capable or not, wouldn't you? Wonder why Pederson is so reluctant to take back play calling duties?

Just moved north of Jax so I'm listening to a lot of sports talk chatter and the fanbase is very disgruntled, to say the least. And, after last night's debacle, can't say I blame them.

It's a huge problem for a #1 pick in his 4th season to see the offense still be this bad. And why the Jags can't pay out to put more help around him....is a mystery. This isn't MLB where some markets literally have half to a third of salary compared to other teams.

But as the game was still early and behind...Trevor throws a terrible INT that pretty much put the game out of hand. He clearly isn't generating offense...it's not like they are losing games because they have to score 40 pts a games.....Jags are clearly not scoring enough regardless of the defense.

Game by game points....

Miami - 17 pts (not a great D)
Cleveland - 13 pts
Buffalo - 10 pts

Reactions: gamecockcat
Seems like he has the same issue as Levis, if your O line is bad, then your offense will be bad. Tim Couch found this out.

Reactions: TM2013
Has he lived up to the hype of being the next Peyton Manning? No. But he isn't a bust.

He joined a team that won one game before he got there and had ONE winning season sinc 2008. He has played three full seasons, had a winning record in two of those, made the playoffs, won a playoff game, and made a Pro Bowl.

I'm giving some grace for the fact that it's the Jaguars he has to play for.

GPCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTGQBR
531163183963.212,3306.760406610584.5-

Rushing

GPCARYDSAVGTDLNGFDFUMLST
CAREER 532101,0204.9113375136

I'd be shocked if anyone on this forum could name a single offensive teammate of his that isn't Eteinne.

I wouldn't say he is trending toward "bust" per say. he has had success. A bust is someone who never did anything. Ryan Leaf, bust. JaMarcus Russell, Jeff George, Akili Smith, Andrae Ware, are bust. Trey lance is trending (pretty much is) a bust. Lawrence, just not quite as good as expected. Keep in mind, everyone had already labeled Sam Darnold a bust. Might be time to relook at that, which I why I do not like to label a guy a bust after only a few years. Sometimes, it just takes a little longer.

I'd be shocked if anyone on this forum could name a single offensive teammate of his that isn't Eteinne.
Christian Kirk, Brian Thomas (stud WR from LSU), and Gabe Davis ( he was very dependable in Buffalo). Davis had 746 yards and 7 TD's last year and 836 yards and 7 TD's the year before.

Its crazy he would say no one knows his teammates as if we aren't actual lunatics on a sports message board. Brother I know most of the backup offensive lineman in the league. Naming Gabe Davis isn't difficult.
Don't act like this is unusual. Most couldn't name a ton of the NFL Draft picks in any given year. Fantasy probably helps fans know a ton of guys they wouldn't normally know but let's not act like these guys are stars.

Christian Kirk, Brian Thomas (stud WR from LSU), and Gabe Davis ( he was very dependable in Buffalo). Davis had 746 yards and 7 TD's last year and 836 yards and 7 TD's the year before.
Haven't followed the Jags as I just moved to the area but I thought TL had some decent potential weapons on the team to help him out and Thomas and Davis certainly would qualify in my book. Probably not a bust at this point and may never be. But, 53% completion rate, horrible INT last night, took a horrible safety the game prior that all but put the game out of reach, some other questionable throws. Just doesn't look like he's in sync with the rest of the offense (or they with him). Can't speak to the play calling but it certainly does not appear to have distinguished itself, either.

Only three full years in the league. Really has never had a true #1 superstar WR.
2022 (2nd year) 4113 yards / 66.3% rate / 25 TD's / 8 INT's
2023 (3rd year) 4016 yards (16 games not 17 like 2022) - 21 TD's / 14 INT's (definitely regressed in the INT stat but yards and TD's was still good.

Those are not bust #'s by any comparison.

I'd argue Doug Pederson is probably a bottom tier NFL coach...he hit lighting in a bottle to win that one super bowl and quickly sucked in Philly.

I think what goes un-noticed is how much a coach like Andy Reid, Shannahan, McVay make a QB look very good and you take the same QB and put him with Brandon Staley, Robert Salah, etc....they wont' look so amazing.

It's not easy call...but I argue in football the head coach is worth a ton more vs baseball and even basketball.

Only three full years in the league. Really has never had a true #1 superstar WR.
2022 (2nd year) 4113 yards / 66.3% rate / 25 TD's / 8 INT's
2023 (3rd year) 4016 yards (16 games not 17 like 2022) - 21 TD's / 14 INT's (definitely regressed in the INT stat but yards and TD's was still good.

Those are not bust #'s by any comparison.
You're right - those numbers are pretty good. Debatable if they measure up to his expectations being the #1 overall, but sometimes expectations are wildly optimistic. However, this is his fourth year and 3 games in, his stats are significantly worse. Of course, he can right the ship and end up with 4+k yards and 25 TDs with only 10 Ints and this thread will seem at best premature, at worst ridiculous. Or, he can continue to slide statistically and maybe we'll all be wondering about this question by season's end.

I wouldn't say he is trending toward "bust" per say. he has had success. A bust is someone who never did anything. Ryan Leaf, bust. JaMarcus Russell, Jeff George, Akili Smith, Andrae Ware, are bust. Trey lance is trending (pretty much is) a bust. Lawrence, just not quite as good as expected. Keep in mind, everyone had already labeled Sam Darnold a bust. Might be time to relook at that, which I why I do not like to label a guy a bust after only a few years. Sometimes, it just takes a little longer.
Jeff George did play 14 yrs.

There's no way he is a bust. Ive seen him look pretty damn good. His team sucks, coach sucks, but not Lawrence.
My Green Bay Packers will take him off you hands if you want Malik Willis!

There's no way he is a bust. Ive seen him look pretty damn good. His team sucks, coach sucks, but not Lawrence.
Agreed, but 1-9 the last 10 games might disagree with you, although, of course, it's not only his fault they've lost. But, he is a former #1 overall pick and he's currently connecting on 53% of his passes with few TDs. That's not good. Maybe too early to say 'bust' but, geez, you've gotta get more out of your franchise QB than that, don't you?

Willis is a backup that has went 2 and 0 for your team.

It def appears there late season run to playoffs two seasons ago was an outlier. Injuries derailed last season, but they have never returned to the swag they were playing with two seasons ago.

Week 1 they had Miami down 17-7 and going in to make it 24-7 late in 3rd qtr and Etienne fumbles into the end zone. Next play Miami goes 80 yards for a TD and comes back and wins on last second FG.

That crushed them apparently and haven't looked like they have cared since.

Reactions: gamecockcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT