ADVERTISEMENT

Is this staff taking responsibility? Lot of finger pointing through KSR.

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
First off, there was the finger pointing at last years of line coach. Freddie Maggard gives a bunch of excuses about how there wasn't enough experience fostered by the previous coach. As if only Jagr Burton had played ten more snaps against South Carolina last year, we would be better against Youngstown State this year. 10 full games experience later we see how important that really was.

Then, it's all about NIL. Yes, we're 52nd in recruiting, but not because we lost a bunch of experienced recruiters and replaced them with pro coaches. But because we don't have the money to pay players. And that probably did hurt. We needed NIL cleared up. Glad it happened. But we're tied with Vanderbilt and Campbell in next years class ranking. Surely we don't need much money to do better than that.

Now, max Duffy has scuttlebutt about buy in. The line isn't studying hard enough. The receivers don't know the offense. There's not enough leadership. The week players are getting frustrated, now come the stories its their fault. But we are also getting a lot of outside confirmation from other football people this offense has issues. Plus, eyeballs.

I know how these threads that mention ksr devolve. It's really not about them. I don't doubt they are being told this.

But what concerns me is that they are being told. The staff has found an outlet to give all the reasons its not their fault. They need to keep first and third issues to themselves. And, will they look at all the way to correct problems starting in the mirror if they have other excuses?

First off, there was the finger pointing at last years of line coach. Freddie Maggard gives a bunch of excuses about how there wasn't enough experience fostered by the previous coach. As if only Jagr Burton had played ten more snaps against South Carolina last year, we would be better against Youngstown State this year. 10 full games experience later we see how important that really was.

Then, it's all about NIL. Yes, we're 52nd in recruiting, but not because we lost a bunch of experienced recruiters and replaced them with pro coaches. But because we don't have the money to pay players. And that probably did hurt. We needed NIL cleared up. Glad it happened. But we're tied with Vanderbilt and Campbell in next years class ranking. Surely we don't need much money to do better than that.

Now, max Duffy has scuttlebutt about buy in. The line isn't studying hard enough. The receivers don't know the offense. There's not enough leadership. The week players are getting frustrated, now come the stories its their fault. But we are also getting a lot of outside confirmation from other football people this offense has issues. Plus, eyeballs.

I know how these threads that mention ksr devolve. It's really not about them. I don't doubt they are being told this.

But what concerns me is that they are being told. The staff has found an outlet to give all the reasons its not their fault. They need to keep first and third issues to themselves. And, will they look at all the way to correct problems starting in the mirror if they have other excuses?
English please--thank you.

If Stoops can’t honestly sit back and reflect and see how his entire offensive philosophy and culture from coaches to in game management needs to change there is zero hope for him.
And there is the problem...he won't I feel. His DNA is Big 10 ball with Ball control and defense wins. That doesn't work in modern football unless you have Ga. talent. The Bulldogs did yesterdsy what Stoops wants to do but can't at UK with the talent he will always have. He is like Coach Cal, too stubborn to change.

And there is the problem...he won't I feel. His DNA is Big 10 ball with Ball control and defense wins. That doesn't work in modern football unless you have Ga. talent. The Bulldogs did yesterdsy what Stoops wants to do but can't at UK with the talent he will always have. He is like Coach Cal, too stubborn to change.

It’s always a windy day in 1989 in the Big 10 for Mark Stoops.

And that’s the big problem.

While I agree with many who think Mark Stoops is too stubborn to change, especially after the post game interview, I won't call him out for something that has NOT occurred. If things don't change after the season, then we can get upset, and burn the Stadium down.

Reactions: FltDoc
We have 10 years of evidence of what Stoops wants on offense. It's not going to change at this point. Besides about half of last year, our offense has looked the same no matter who the OC is. That's why firing Skank is not going to change anything.

To be fair....KSR isn't exactly a knowledgeable group of guys on any sports.

1. Football....yes they want to stay in Marrow/Stoops good graces. But Duffy...he knows the special teams guy and defends even all this entire debacle. I mean seriously....we can't hardly snap a FG/XP all year. To not argue a full scale change on special teams needs to go....pretty much shows it's relationship driviing their thoughts and not as much reason.
2. Basketall.....they all go on with Cal's lack of inbounds/end game management, won't play shooters, etc...then state "There is no other coach I'd want that Cal at UK still".....like WTH.

Reactions: Blouman
To sit back and do nothing in this off-season will only keep the bad karma flowing. I don’t see that happening. I don’t see him changing, he’s just too damn arrogant. I see several players hitting the portal as well. I’m of the opinion it doesn’t matter who the OC is, things don’t change. Need to weed out those that aren’t 100% in and start over. Next year could be a major step back.

We look like the worst team in the east right now.

Next year is looking like a really bad year if we cant correct some things. Namely, we don’t have an impact QB in the portal we might go 3-9 next year. Stoops might see the writing on the wall and jump ship, honestly if he is smart he would bc he goes sub .500 aint no one going to hire him. This year has been one of the most frustratimg bc we have talent. This isn’t a Bill Curry or Joker talentless suckfest and I hated those but we all saw those coming

Last edited:
Reactions: FltDoc and Knoffs73

I don't take any "news" broken on KSR seriously. The business structure of KSR depends on ads. If you take a course on internet publication, the first thing you will learn is that the number of hits determines how marketable your website will be to advertisers. KSR is set up to generate hits, and that's why their columns are titled as they are, with attention seeking as the objective. KSR is also famous for searching, plagiarizing, and twisting material from other websites.

Also, with the exception of Maggard, nobody at KSR knows or comprehends anything about college football. I have no beef with Maggard, except for the fact that he works for a really bad organization.

Let's face it. If UK sports were covered well by the local newspaper and the regional media, a product of KSR's low quality would not have much of a market. But KSR thrives because a little bit of bad coverage is preferred by our fans to almost no coverage at all. The online HL is subscription based now, and their mediocre columnists don't have anymore access to the UK athletics department than anyone else in the media has. As things currently stand, there are not any good public sources for news on UK athletics.

I don't take any "news" broken on KSR seriously. The business structure of KSR depends on ads. If you take a course on internet publication, the first thing you will learn is that the number of hits determines how marketable your website will be to advertisers. KSR is set up to generate hits, and that's why their columns are titled as they are, with attention seeking as the objective. KSR is also famous for searching, plagiarizing, and twisting material from other websites.

Also, with the exception of Maggard, nobody at KSR knows or comprehends anything about college football. I have no beef with Maggard, except for the fact that he works for a really bad organization.

Let's face it. If UK sports were covered well by the local newspaper and the regional media, a product of KSR's low quality would not have much of a market. But KSR thrives because a little bit of bad coverage is preferred by our fans to almost no coverage at all. The online HL is subscription based now, and their mediocre columnists don't have anymore access to the UK athletics department than anyone else in the media has. As things currently stand, there are not any good public sources for news on UK athletics.
I agree with you
The local media comes across as though if they ask tough questions instead of the soft ball ones they always ask they will be put on the crap list like Matt is currently on with Cal

The guy that called Stoops tonight about us running the ball almost every first and second down was an interesting question to listen to. Only problem, Stoops mumbled and jumbled on the question so much I can't even tell you how he answered it. One of the better questions that I knew there would be no answer for. The guy pointed out our predictability on offensive calls and I think Stoops finally said that the plan of doing that is to make it 3rd and 5 so we have a better chance to pick up the first down. Hearing stuff like that makes you wonder if he will ever have an offensive minded coordinator.

The guy that called Stoops tonight about us running the ball almost every first and second down was an interesting question to listen to. Only problem, Stoops mumbled and jumbled on the question so much I can't even tell you how he answered it. One of the better questions that I knew there would be no answer for. The guy pointed out our predictability on offensive calls and I think Stoops finally said that the plan of doing that is to make it 3rd and 5 so we have a better chance to pick up the first down. Hearing stuff like that makes you wonder if he will ever have an offensive minded coordinator.

He said that several times over the years. When you see us go run on first and second over and over....that's 100% stoops pushing for those calls.

No reason at all that we should be that predictable on first down.

Its a known fact that other teams don’t spend a lot of time worrying about our offense. They all defend us the same way. Our offense is boring, it’s predictable and it’s easy to defend. We are doing the same plays we did the first game of the year.

To me, it all boils down to this…

Coach Clink ——-> ???? Idk who our DB coach is
Coach Schlarman ———> Wolford/Yenser
Coach Sumrall ————> ??? Stoops bro

We lost a metric shit ton of DAWG ASS coaches who could develop and recruit, and so far we have not even begun to replace them. We got jack shit, and we will have to find some legit coaches soon, or things will not get better.

He said that several times over the years. When you see us go run on first and second over and over....that's 100% stoops pushing for those calls.

No reason at all that we should be that predictable on first down.

So, last year when we didn’t do that, it was because of Stoops?

Way too much Stoops hate. The man is still underpaid, imho. He’s accomplished downright impossible things here at UK. He needs some help. He needs more money for assistants. He deserves all our respect. It’s one stupid season…

It’s an absolute meltdown of a season, and we’re looking at what…7-5? Easily 9-3 if we could simply snap the ball and hit FGs.

So, last year when we didn’t do that, it was because of Stoops?

Way too much Stoops hate. The man is still underpaid, imho. He’s accomplished downright impossible things here at UK. He needs some help. He needs more money for assistants. He deserves all our respect. It’s one stupid season…

It’s an absolute meltdown of a season, and we’re looking at what…7-5? Easily 9-3 if we could simply snap the ball and hit FGs.

I defend stoops and especially this year's playcalling more than probably anyone; but it's absolutely stoops. He did it last year too. Every somehow remembers a fine tuned offense that hummed along all year, yet it was anything but. We struggled all sec play until the LSU game.

When the going gets tough or things aren't going well, stoops goes to the plan I outlined: run on first and second; throw on third. We saw it with Gran, coen at times, and we saw it starting with UT this year. He finally turned loose a little vs Georgia and we need him to let scang call his plays vs UL.

No matter who calls the plays next year, stoops needs to stay out of it. His natural tendency under stress is micromanage and go Uber conservative. I love him, but that's where he is

Stoops has a hard time trusting his OCS.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
That’s honestly pretty concerning if that’s not only his goal, but something that he’s defending as sound strategy rather than reflecting critically on. Obviously you have to convert some 3rd & 5 type situations over the course of most games, but if that’s the situation you’re intentionally playing for with every set of downs, SEC defenses are going to win enough of those plays that it will be difficult to sustain a drive and score. Our anemic scoring numbers in conference games this year bear that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT