ADVERTISEMENT

Is Stoops ready to try Gilmore?

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
Scraping the barrel here. I know Bowden is a great athlete but as a qb isn't he limited in his ability to get the ball down the field. Teams will put 9 guys in the box every play.

Most reports I have heard say that Gilmore is a project and he doesn't really know the playbook. He has all of the tools, just struggles reading defenses and going through the check downs. He didn't get here until the Summer, so he is behind on everything.

I realize that we are all desperate for someone to bring us out of this horrible situation, but Amani must not be ready. When Lynn is your best option, that tells me that we have no other viable options, including our true Freshman Gilmore.

Catben where have you read these reports? I haven’t seen the first thing written about him all summer or fall. Thanks.

Reactions: jnewc2
Catben where have you read these reports? I haven’t seen the first thing written about him all summer or fall. Thanks.

Actually it came from Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond. Usually I take that with a grain of salt, but since Coach Stoops doesn't even mention Amani in any conversation or press conference as being an option, I believe it.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Dont think we're going to see AG this season pray Sawyer heals and looks like he did v Florida or UT Martin might be our only win left

Let’s not act like he was a great prospect coming out of high school. He was rated as the 35th player in his state and towards the bottom of the. Class we signed. He might turn into a great qb, but let’s not act like he is a five star or high four star recruit. He is the lowest qb rated recruit we have signed since 07. That doesn’t say hey I’m sec football ready as a true freshman

Let’s not act like he was a great prospect coming out of high school. He was rated as the 35th player in his state and towards the bottom of the. Class we signed. He might turn into a great qb, but let’s not act like he is a five star or high four star recruit. He is the lowest qb rated recruit we have signed since 07. That doesn’t say hey I’m sec football ready as a true freshman
Are we that bad...that we are actually taking players that can't (maybe never) play at the SEC level; even if we had no other choice?
That is not good...

Well if Gilmore isn't ready NOW, he'd better get there quickly because if Smith can't get back to healthy, and Bowden is our QB, then Gilmore (or WW) is one play away from being:

"What does the Barber say?"

"Next"

Go CATS!

That may be true, but how many frosh qb's are playing this year? And we cant beat any of them (so far).

Is our system that much harder than everyone else's?

That may be true, but how many frosh qb's are playing this year? And we cant beat any of them (so far).

Is our system that much harder than everyone else's?
Many of those freshman came in with the possibility of playing, Gilmore did not. IF NS was healthy, he would be a completely different story.

Reactions: Lost In FL
If you have a good system installed by good coaches with good recruits that fit that system then the approach should be - next man up.

For whatever reason that is not the approach.

Most reports I have heard say that Gilmore is a project and he doesn't really know the playbook. He has all of the tools, just struggles reading defenses and going through the check downs. He didn't get here until the Summer, so he is behind on everything.

I realize that we are all desperate for someone to bring us out of this horrible situation, but Amani must not be ready. When Lynn is your best option, that tells me that we have no other viable options, including our true Freshman Gilmore.

I really like Amani Gilmore but if he has a scholarship to an SEC school there is no excuse for him to be that behind. Maybe we need to look for a replacement for Hinshaw as well

Reactions: sluggercatfan
but from everyone here (hyperbole) he is never going to be SEC ready

..........sadly, you are probably right. A future SEC Qb typically displays the ability to play as a frosh. Not a certainty by any means, but the majority of the time they have the ability to take some true snaps as a frosh, and in doing so they show promise. Gilmore is likely not there. Wood is definitely not there based on the staff's recent zero confidence vote. Nope, we're down to Smith and Bowden........We are in some dire straits right now folks. Don't think many realize how bad this is. Smith really needs to get healthy and stay healthy. Anything short of that isn't going to be good for the Kats.

..........sadly, you are probably right. A future SEC Qb typically displays the ability to play as a frosh. Not a certainty by any means, but the majority of the time they have the ability to take some true snaps as a frosh, and in doing so they show promise. Gilmore is likely not there. Wood is definitely not there based on the staff's recent zero confidence vote. Nope, we're down to Smith and Bowden........We are in some dire straits right now folks. Don't think many realize how bad this is. Smith really needs to get healthy and stay healthy. Anything short of that isn't going to be good for the Kats.
We need a smitty miracle.

If they're really not willing to try Gilmore at all, it really doesn't bode well for his outlook here. Behind a WR and basically walk ons? Not promising
Thinking about it, and reviewing our history with QB prospects we recruited out of high school, I doubt Gilmore ever sees significant playing time, or even his senior season with us.

Actually it came from Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond. Usually I take that with a grain of salt, but since Coach Stoops doesn't even mention Amani in any conversation or press conference as being an option, I believe it.

Yes
Stoops never mentions him . He will redshirt

Again, recruiting has gotten a thousand times better. But almost completely on the defensive side of the ball. We have a roster full of MAC level wr and qb

Thinking about it, and reviewing our history with QB prospects we recruited out of high school, I doubt Gilmore ever sees significant playing time, or even his senior season with us.

Agree. Not looking good for him if he can't see the field during this debacle.

Again, recruiting has gotten a thousand times better. But almost completely on the defensive side of the ball. We have a roster full of MAC level wr and qb

Our TEs are incredible. We have Wagner and Bowden at wr who are both very good. Bryce Oliver has alot of potential too. Although I will agree to the extent it was slower to come around in the wr position. Qb too

Reactions: Bill Withers
Agree that LB playing legit QB will only further condense the defense into the box. Especially if the staff can't get the passing game going and other skill positions don't step up.

Teams already know CMS and EG are run first, second, then run some more from the wildcat.

The only thing keeping them remotely honest once in a while was Bowden on the perimeter. Bringing him behind the center makes it much easier for teams.

The only way I would go for LB at full-time QB is if there is some sort of plan to exploit the other aspects of the offense outside of the base run, wildcat, and QB run which teams clearly are ready for.

If the coaching staff has seen an ability from Bowden to effectively run as well as lead the offense, get the ball to other playmakers with some sort of consistency/accuracy in the passing game, then, by all means, let it rip with him.

If all the staff sees is just an athlete and their plan is to basically run the wildcat to death, play the field position game, not take shots, not spread the ball around...then I don't see things getting much better. If that's the case the only thing they have really done is take away our best perimeter threat, put him in the box, and said "here defenses come get him..."

Gilmore will get his chance when Bowden gets hurt playing QB. I hope he doesn't get hurt, but playing out of position against SEC defenses will not help him any. Our best hope right now is that SS has time to heal before the Arkansas game

There are a lot of schools that take players that can't play in the SEC as a true freshman. This is the norm.
Yes redshirt...
but also, from comments here... he will probably never be ready for SEC level.

Yeah, but he was 35th in Louisiana, which would likely put him top ten in Kentucky and maybe top 25 in Tennessee. I think we also beat out Ed Orgeron for him....who knows talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT