ADVERTISEMENT

Is Pope's offensive/defensive philosophies based on Pitino's 90's style?

I've never seen a Pope-coached team play before and was just curious.
From what I have watched, most of it but it does look like it has a bit of the old Princeton offense Ole Petie C. ran hence the center averages 4 assist per game. Philosophy is like Nate Oates, 3's or layups but Oates defense sucks and BYU plays defense.

I know Rick will hype one of his former player but his take on Pope's offense gave me hope.

I'm so far out of the loop that I did not realize the connection between Carrol and Oats. If Pope runs a system similar to Oats, this should be a lot of fun. Thanks for the info.

From what I have watched, most of it but it does look like it has a bit of the old Princeton offense Ole Petie C. ran hence the center averages 4 assist per game. Philosophy is like Nate Oates, 3's or layups but Oates defense sucks and BYU plays defense.
Oats teams are not always bad on defense. This year it was not great but they were good defensively the previous year. I think Pope’s defense will be solid with the right kind of players

If THE POPE can get his players in shape and play as hard as pitinos players played he will kill it here at Kentucky and by his presser yesterday I have no doubt he will do this

I've never seen a Pope-coached team play before and was just curious.

There’s a few videos on YouTube that will give you an idea what his offense is like. It’s a fun and exciting style of basketball. His team shot more 3’s than 2’s last season.

Pope uses a lot of Pitino stuff. Shooting three's, running off defensive rebounds and passing. Pope also mentioned about wanting to put teams on their heels, and that is exactly what Pitino did every game. He also mentioned wearing down teams in the second half with this style of play, and that is another philosophy from when Pitino was here. Read that teams will have to have decent depth because of the pace we will play with.

I know they shoot a ton of 3’s but the weird thing is they don’t make a high percentage of them.

Concepts or outcomes, yes, but not the same. Floor spacing, movement, high percentage of 3 point shots are all the same. How they get there is altogether different.

Pope does something very few coaches do-switches things up to best utilize his personnel. He does a masterful job not forcing a system onto his players. Conceptually he doesn’t change, uses in a variety of ways-continuity, circle, dribble hand off/screen and roll out into a 5 out. His actions are some of the best I have seen and they all progress into a 2 man game or 4 out sequence if they break down.

Don’t think he has a GO offense 😜

I haven't seen a lot of Pope's teams either, do they press a lot? I loved watching Pitino's full court pressure. Deflections and turnovers were fun to watch end up in easy buckets at the other end.

Offensively - the concepts are similar, get the ball up the floor quickly looking for the 3 point shot, movement of both the ball and players once in the half court, multiple screens and cutting to the basket. No holding the ball and movement forcing the opponent to try and keep up defensively. Generally, all 5 players are 3 point threats. Had a big center that played post up and could operate around the basket without being double teamed because of the spacing. No shot clock violations or 1 player dribbling excessively dribble with a purpose. Offense movement is predicated on reading the defense, not repetitive and predictable. Players make hard cuts off screens or back doors looking for a pass as a result Most 2 point shots attempted are layups. Good interior passing.

Defensively - BYU plays man to man and does not press much. Pitino’s style at UK was to generate offense from a full court pressing defense. Individual don’t help off their man so much as COW did leading to wide open 3point attempts.

General - Rebounding emphasis is all 5 players going to the boards on both ends of the court. Pressure creates fatigue - Pope pressures with his offense, Pitino with his defense. BYU games that I watched, Pope used his bench extensively, did not notice “tired” players at the end of games.

Oats teams are not always bad on defense. This year it was not great but they were good defensively the previous year. I think Pope’s defense will be solid with the right kind of players
This year they ranked behind UK, but hell after our horrible defense I would take anyone else's defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT