ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stop handshake lines?

When did the handshake line begin? I played Kentucky high school basketball, graduating in 1964 and don’t ever remember doing it. We might fist bump before tipoff before the beginning of the game. I don’t remember seeing it in college. this might just be an old man’s memory.

I figure if professional hockey players can do it after 60 minutes of kicking the shit out of each other, collegiate basketball players should be able to do the same. If you can't that's a you problem.

Actually baseball does do it.

And my high school team had a brawl when I was a JR (38 years ago). Had nothing to do with the game, it was over a girl (eye roll). Ironically it was the last game I won as a pitcher (went all 7 innings).

But it's not the handshake line that's the problem, it's the attitude of today's youth. So if they don't do it there, they will after the game, or during the game, or somewhere. And this is coming from a person that does not like shaking hands.

I figure if professional hockey players can do it after 60 minutes of kicking the shit out of each other, collegiate basketball players should be able to do the same. If you can't that's a you problem.

Do they? I dont follow hockey so I have no idea, but a quick Google search.. the first result says they removed it because of the friction is causes, and the 2nd result said they only do after a series is over.

You think kids today have the same integrity, morals and fortitude that kids from the 50s had? Why not, because 3 guys did some point shaving to make money? Lol
You want to talk integrity and morals with 1950s America as the jumping off point?? Lol let’s definitely get into that. Want to start with the student demonstrations in opposition to the Brown vs. Board of Education ruling?? So yeah nah, you’re right, definitely not the same. A bunch of those kids are still alive and voting too.

Reactions: BigTyrone
But really it ain’t doing squat to promote sportsmanship in any meaningful sense.

If you hate an opposing player, you’re still gonna hate him just as much after being forced to begrudgingly touch his hand on the way out. And nobody thinks “what good sports!” when they see the handshake line, because we know they only do it because they must to avoid being bashed as a bad sport.

I guess some feel it’s necessary to continue this ritual just so that we can pretend that we’re encouraging sportsmanship. But I don’t. It serves no productive purpose, and seems the only times it ever gets attention is when something goes wrong like this.
I don't "pretend" it encourages sportsmanship. It does.

The fact that adult coaches refuse don't emphasize the fact that a game is just a game is a symptom of our society. I lettered in 5 sports in HS (3 team and 2 individual), and can't think of a single player on another team I "hated." Did I want to kick their ass in the game? Yes.

I agree with you on one point. It gets attention "when something goes wrong like this." Likely because it's pretty rare. There are thousands of basketball games every night that go off without a hitch. This kind of issue happens probably 0.000001% of all games.

These idiots are the problem. Not the practice of handshake lines.

You want to talk integrity and morals with 1950s America as the jumping off point?? Lol let’s definitely get into that. Want to start with the student demonstrations in opposition to the Brown vs. Board of Education ruling?? So yeah nah, you’re right, definitely not the same. A bunch of those kids are still alive and voting too.

Oh lord, race shit from you again.. I'm shocked.

Oh lord, race shit from you again.. I'm shocked.
All I did was point out improved racial relations. Should be encouraging to you, not off putting since you’re a guy that’s so big on morals and integrity and all that.

Yeah for sure, kids were never entitled like this before now!! Like can you imagine this happening in the 1950s!!?? No entitled kids back then who would do things like this or participate in point shaving, just as a totally random example…
Not their fault, they thought they could trust in Jimmy Two Times.

The same people that may have difficulty (win or lose) in going through a handshake line, and not being able to at least fake maturity, are the very ones that need to learn those life skills.

Quite frankly I'm pretty surprised at the amount of responses of people who think we should just abandon people being able to act civil and mature. If you give in to little things, it will eventually erode more important civil customs and norms. Civil discourse matters. And I'd argue it matters now more than ever.

Yeah for sure, kids were never entitled like this before now!! Like can you imagine this happening in the 1950s!!?? No entitled kids back then who would do things like this or participate in point shaving, just as a totally random example…
1951–- 3 UK bball players arrested for point shaving.

All I did was point out improved racial relations. Should be encouraging to you, not off putting since you’re a guy that’s so big on morals and integrity and all that.

What does race have to do with anything here? The same problems affect whites today just the same: entitled, selfish, etc.

Again, if you think that 1950s kids.. white AND black weren't built different and had harder work ethics.. I don't know what to tell you. Go have a conversation with a 17 year old and tell me you got anything from it.

Reactions: JonathanW
It's always easy to say what other people should do when they face a loss, a hardship, a setback, etc.

If Bill at work gets a promotion over you, knowing you were both competing for it... you forming that handshake line to go congratulate him?

Of course you aren't. Lol.

😮 I’m certain that just cannot be true!! In a time of such morality and integrity, there’s just no way!!
Yeah! And some dude named Jim Crow was pretty popular during that time of high morality and integrity, also. 🤷‍♂️

What does race have to do with anything here? The same problems affect whites today just the same: entitled, selfish, etc.

Again, if you think that 1950s kids.. white AND black weren't built different and had harder work ethics.. I don't know what to tell you. Do have a conversation with a 17 year old and tell me you got anything from it.
Not surprising to hear that you are completely out of touch with the youth of today. I, on the other hand, actively mentor young men in my community and I’m glad to say they are just as thoughtful and ambitious on average as kids from my day and from generations before. They are just young and feeling things out, learning from mistakes. Dude, it’s sad that you’ve apparently forgotten what it’s like to be young.

The kid I’m closest to that I mentor is an 8th grader and he was caught with a vape at school this year. He tried the whole “I was holding it for a friend” deal. I tore into him, while trying not to laugh saying “you know how many times teachers have heard that before!!??”. The kids are EXACTLY the same as we were and they will learn the hard way til they grow up just like we all did. To grown ass adults they will look stupid, selfish, trivial, and immoral. Same as the way adults looked at us when we were kids.

Race was brought up to show just how ridiculous your boring and tired ass take was. Again, you brought up morals and integrity. How is human treatment not relevant in that? Are the kids today the ones who are “built different” because they don’t mind sitting next to a kid of another race in the classroom? Or has it always been that shitty kids are the product of the shitty adults who raised them?

• Haha
Reactions: phunterd
Not surprising to hear that you are completely out of touch with the youth of today. I, on the other hand, actively mentor young men in my community and I’m glad to say they are just as thoughtful and ambitious on average as kids from my day and from generations before. They are just young and feeling things out, learning from mistakes. Dude, it’s sad that you’ve apparently forgotten what it’s like to be young.

The kid I’m closest to that I mentor is an 8th grader and he was caught with a vape at school this year. He tried the whole “I was holding it for a friend” deal. I tore into him, while trying not to laugh saying “you know how many times teachers have heard that before!!??”. The kids are EXACTLY the same as we were and they will learn the hard way til they grow up just like we all did. To grown ass adults they will look stupid, selfish, trivial, and immoral. Same as the way adults looked at us when we were kids.

Race was brought up to show just how ridiculous your boring and tired ass take was. Again, you brought up morals and integrity. How is human treatment not relevant in that? Are the kids today the ones who are “built different” because they don’t mind sitting next to a kid of another race in the classroom? Or has it always been that shitty kids are the product of the shitty adults who raised them?

I just want to say..

I could give two shits about your anecdotal stories about helping some inner city kid, because you're a race-baiting poster as we've seen before.

You brought up race, probably because you saw the photos of 1 white kid in there surrounded by 15 blacks, so it was damage control time. You know what the problem is lol.

Morality and Integrity?.....LOL
We have chicks with dicks destroying women sports today. Some of you people have no clue!
You are right. But it doesn't mean you give up. Folks are pushing back hars to preserve women's sports. We can either throw our hands up and say F it, see where that takes us. Or, we push back to preserve civilty and societal norms. Personally, I think giving up leads to a worse place we're currently in.

I just want to say..

I could give two shits about your anecdotal stories about helping some inner city kid, because you're a race-baiting poster as we've seen before.

You brought up race, probably because you saw the photos of 1 white kid in there surrounded by 15 blacks, so it was damage control time. You know what the problem is lol.
Idk what photos you’re talking about, but the “15 blacks” comment tells me all I need to know about you.

Then you just came right out and said it in the next sentence. Just wow. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited:
I don't think anything rash needs to happen, we all know how heated and intense the storied rivalry of Texas A&M Commerce and Incarnate Word can be.

A lot is on the line in those games.

We have chicks with dicks destroying women sports today. Some of you people have no clue!
Wow I never took you as someone so passionate about women’s sports. Good on ya bud, but I just can’t get into it 😂😂😂

But seriously though, if your statement were true, The Daily Wire woulda just made a documentary instead of casting a fictional movie based on a nonsensical premise.

You are right. But it doesn't mean you give up. Folks are pushing back hars to preserve women's sports. We can either throw our hands up and say F it, see where that takes us. Or, we push back to preserve civilty and societal norms. Personally, I think giving up leads to a worse place we're currently in.
Explain to me how he is right. Ohio tried to pass this legislation to stop one trans girl from playing JV softball with her friends. Kid Wasn’t even good enough to “ruin” the varsity comp.

Wow I never took you as someone so passionate about women’s sports. Good on ya bud, but I just can’t get into it 😂😂😂

But seriously though, if your statement were true, The Daily Wire woulda just made a documentary instead of casting a fictional movie based on a nonsensical premise.
I don't need to be passionate, to recognize and call bullshit....

Explain to me how he is right. Ohio tried to pass this legislation to stop one trans girl from playing JV softball with her friends. Kid Wasn’t even good enough to “ruin” the varsity comp.
Because morality and integrity are in decline today. An example is Cs w Ds in women's sports. My point was, we have to push back instead of just saying F it. We also need to take a serious approach to holding people accountable for there actions instead of deflecting blame to a dozen different factors.

Because morality and integrity are in decline today. An example is Cs w Ds in women's sports. My point was, we have to push back instead of just saying F it. We also need to take a serious approach to holding people accountable for there actions instead of deflecting blame to a dozen different factors.
Sad...that this needs explaining.

Sad...this needs explaining.
What was explained? Nothing has changed about women’s sports except people like you pretending to care about it because of a fringe issue that is an extremely light weight and effortless cudgel for you to wield against a group of people you don’t want to exist.

This is a non starter with y’all I get that. I respond like this to cut through just so it doesn’t go unchallenged. Because it needs to be. You three are awful. I’m gonna go hoop now ✌️

Last edited:
It's always easy to say what other people should do when they face a loss, a hardship, a setback, etc.

If Bill at work gets a promotion over you, knowing you were both competing for it... you forming that handshake line to go congratulate him?

Of course you aren't. Lol.
Actually. I certainly would.

What was explained? Nothing has changed about women’s sports except people like you pretending to care about it because of a fringe issue that is an extremely light weight and effortless cudgel for you to wield against a group of people you don’t want to exist.

This is a non starter with y’all I get that. I respond like this to cut through just so it doesn’t go unchallenged. Because it needs to be. You three are awful. I’m gonna go hoop now ✌️
Don't forget your participation trophies......

Quite frankly I'm pretty surprised at the amount of responses of people who think we should just abandon people being able to act civil and mature. If you give in to little things, it will eventually erode more important civil customs and norms. Civil discourse matters. And I'd argue it matters now more than ever.
Well, to be clear, my opinion that I’d be fine with getting rid of the handshake line is not just because of these unfortunate incidents. I’d be happy to get rid of it even if none of these things were happening at all.

Because it just seems like an insincere unnecessary forced ritual to me. Why require players who just got their asses kicked to then get in some contrived “line” to shake the hands of the gloating faces who just kicked their asses? Is that really accomplishing anything?

If the players want to congratulate and shake the hands of their opponent afterward …great, more power to them. But enough with forcing them to do it even if they don’t want to. CBB would be no worse if it dropped this routine.

Well, to be clear, my opinion that I’d be fine with getting rid of the handshake line is not just because of these unfortunate incidents. I’d be happy to get rid of it even if none of these things were happening at all.

Because it just seems like an insincere unnecessary forced ritual to me. Why require players who just got their asses kicked to then get in some contrived “line” to shake the hands of the gloating faces who just kicked their asses? Is that really accomplishing anything?

If the players want to congratulate and shake the hands of their opponent afterward …great, more power to them. But enough with forcing them to do it even if they don’t want to. CBB would be no worse if it dropped this routine.

And.. if the coaches can barely be bothered to do it.. then what exactly are we doing here?

No one gets done with that handshake line and thinks "you know what, I'm glad we did that, I learned something".

Also, the NBA has gotten younger and the College game has gotten older. You have 18 year old NBA players who don't do this, but we think 23 year old college players need this for developmental reasons?

Reactions: UK90
You’d think people were asking the Russians & Germans to shake hands after WW2. We’re talking about athletic competitions of for entertainment. If you can’t humble yourself enough in defeat or victory to shake your opponents hand, then you really don’t deserve to play. Being compliant with a lack of civility, in something as simple as an amateur sport, is an indictment of our society as a whole right now. If you can’t cope with a loss, you sure can’t cope with life. I don’t care if it’s players or coaches. They just come off as entitled brats.

You’d think people were asking the Russians & Germans to shake hands after WW2. We’re talking about athletic competitions of for entertainment. If you can’t humble yourself enough in defeat or victory to shake your opponents hand, then you really don’t deserve to play. Being compliant with a lack of civility, in something as simple as an amateur sport, is an indictment of our society as a whole right now. If you can’t cope with a loss, you sure can’t cope with life. I don’t care if it’s players or coaches. They just come off as entitled brats.

For the record, I love that this is the first topic/debate in a while that seems to really split the fanbase down the middle. I love that. Idk, i find sports debates fun and debating the same shit get old. Debating this stuff never bothers me and I think the opposing side has some decent reasons to keep it going.

My retort is, why don't we make pro athletes do this? Are they above this sort of thing? In no other occupation do we go ass kiss the opponent (be it a coworker, another competing company, etc). I think the handshake line IS good for youth sports, it teaches them all the things were talking about. But at some point, these are adults, many of home are older than the rookies and sophomores I'm the NBA. I guess I just don't see what we are gaining by doing this. The players gain nothing, coaches don't care, fans get nothing.

Problems like this usually start in the home. If a kid is taught right and wrong at home we would have less of these kind of problems. Now that is not saying it will solve all the problems but it would a lot of them.
I agree with most on here not to stop the kids from shaking hands. Don't let a few boneheads stop from kids from showing respect. JMO

Reactions: KFuqua
Do they? I dont follow hockey so I have no idea, but a quick Google search.. the first result says they removed it because of the friction is causes, and the 2nd result said they only do after a series is over.
I don’t think it’s too much to ask of people to ask them to look their opponent in the eye and shake their hand. Even if you don’t like someone, it’s about learning self discipline and how to show respect.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
For the record, I love that this is the first topic/debate in a while that seems to really split the fanbase down the middle. I love that. Idk, i find sports debates fun and debating the same shit get old. Debating this stuff never bothers me and I think the opposing side has some decent reasons to keep it going.

My retort is, why don't we make pro athletes do this? Are they above this sort of thing? In no other occupation do we go ass kiss the opponent (be it a coworker, another competing company, etc). I think the handshake line IS good for youth sports, it teaches them all the things we’re talking about. But at some point, these are adults, many of home are older than the rookies and sophomores I'm the NBA. I guess I just don't see what we are gaining by doing this. The players gain nothing, coaches don't care, fans get nothing.
If anything is gained, it’s a brief moment of humility in having to accept a result as a sportsman. I think we need to experience that at any age. But I see where you’re coming from. It’s hard to expect people to practice sportsmanship after a game if we’re not going to enforce it during a game for players, coaches, and fans alike.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

These episodes rarely happen. And the way I see it, if you can't win or lose with maturity and respect, then maybe competive sports just aren't for you. (Them, not you). Again, I just don't want to keep lowering the bar on civility. Canceling the good old fashioned "good game and a handshake" just feels like another little chip in giving up. We need to expect more, not less.

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT