ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stop disliking Calipari and wish him well

Episode 12 Clare GIF by The Bachelor

• Haha
Reactions: Jamal Mercer
along with all of this, we should also stop making posts about the former coach and players- wish them well personally, on to better things

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
I know over the last few years I've been about as hard on him as anyone on here has. But let's look at it this way.

1. He didn't force UK to fire him & pay him the 33 million dollar buyout.

2. These last several seasons didn't go the way any of us wanted. No one wanted to win & advance deep into the NCAA tournament anymore than Calipari did. He did the best he could do. He didn't lose these games because he wanted to.

3. He coached here 15 years and not even a hint of scandal. He never did anything to embarrass the BBN & the UK basketball program. he ran as clean a program as anyone could.

4. The recruits he brought in here were all top notch high character young men. None of them did anything while they were here or after they left here to embarrass the UK basketball program.

Maybe it's time we, myself included gets off his back
Every fan should feel this way. Cal didn't deserve the vitriol he received.

I said this in brief earlier, but I can't just not dislike him for all the damage he did to UK and all the wasted time when we could have remained elite and actually competing for championships rather than let him pursue his other interests while holding the program hostage.

But at the same time, it's time to stop obsessing over him and posting about him and bringing him up constantly. If you want to talk about Cal, go to the Arkansas board, IMO. I don't want to hear about him anymore.

I just have apathy towards him. It got to the point we just couldn't do anything right in March the past 4 seasons.

I dont think I've ever hated a coach or player. They are strangers and have no real emotional impact on my life, good or bad.

I am a fanatic about my sports and enjoy bantering with all of you every day but this is just mindless entertainment n the end for me.

Some of yall crack me up.

I’m glad Cal is gone, but I don’t take any sport seriously enough to hold a long grudge about it. I was raised to believe only small-minded people hold long grudges because the person with the grudge is only making themselves miserable. The other person usually doesn’t care.

Why expend energy to hate Cal for year or decades when he could GAF less a about any of us? Seems pointless unless making yourself angry is something one enjoys.

I’m glad Cal is gone, but I don’t take any sport seriously enough to hold a long grudge about it. I was raised to believe only small-minded people hold long grudges because the person with the grudge is only making themselves miserable. The other person usually doesn’t care.

Why expend energy to hate Cal for year or decades when he could GAF less a about any of us? Seems pointless unless making yourself angry is something one enjoys.

It’s only been a month. Anybody that’s hated him for decades probably has a different beef beyond hoops.

You're a good poster Mega, and I understand where you're coming from, but I find it difficult to forgive the man who fiddled and farted around whilst Rome burned. He only cared about what HE cared about, and not what was in the best interests of his employer.
He single handedly brought our program to the mediocre level. I realize he doesn't give two shits what my opinion is, but it IS my opinion. His last five years he just mailed it in.

To me Cal is just like any other D1 coach not at UK. I'm indifferent to him. Much like I was when he was at Memphis.

I appreciate what he did here and a bit sad the ending did not go better. I don't hate him but at the same rate I wouldn't knock down the door to be wishing him well either.

I know over the last few years I've been about as hard on him as anyone on here has. But let's look at it this way.

2. These last several seasons didn't go the way any of us wanted. No one wanted to win & advance deep into the NCAA tournament anymore than Calipari did. He did the best he could do. He didn't lose these games because he wanted to.

3. He coached here 15 years and not even a hint of scandal. He never did anything to embarrass the BBN & the UK basketball program. he ran as clean a program as anyone could.

4. The recruits he brought in here were all top notch high character young men. None of them did anything while they were here or after they left here to embarrass the UK basketball program.

"No one wanted to win & advance deep into the NCAA tournament anymore than Calipari did. He did the best he could do." <<< Can't agree with this, sorry to say. Cal placed himself above the Program/University and players. He just needed players to run his Wholesale OAD scheme that featured quantity of players over quality of result. In his mind, UK Basketball was the University of Cal and it fed his delusion. I will never wish the "man" harm in any way but I will not acknowledge the "coach" as being something great because his motives were not in keeping with the very reason he was hired and paid so well. Barnhart jumped at the chance to rid himself and the University of the guy once it was known that he violated to covenants of his contract. Respected coaches that breathe that type of rarified air that blue-blood programs provide to them don't cut and run at his age after 15 years ... they retire with grace and do a farewell season tour and become an ambassador for the University that treated him so well. He's a snake-oil salesman and nothing else, and his stewardship of this program will forever be a stain and embarrassment on this Program when taken in total. For a program like UK, that is a damned shame that it ended the way it did and that was a willful decision that Cal made. That is his legacy and unfortunately now is a part of our past but thank goodness we can move on.

Last edited:
I did not like the guy before he came here. Am not going to stop now. Just wait he will put his foot in his mouth many times in his stay in Fayetteville.

You all do what you will with the guy. Me, like i have said before, he was not my coach. I was in a coma for the last 15 years waiting for the time when he was no longer here. Even if Pope ends up a total bust (which i do not thing he will), I am happy the Moon PA moron is no longer in KENTUCKY.

This pretty much says it for me. He had early success and some fun teams to watch and brought in great players to cheer for. But his dismal record the past 5 years or so was not fun at all to many UK fans including myself. I don't hate the guy either but not sorry to see him gone. Pretty excited to see what Pope can do.
Every fan should feel this way. Cal didn't deserve the vitriol he received.
Don't tell is how we should feel buddy. We are old enough to do that for ourselves. F@#$ Cal and the horse he rode in on

If his priority had been what every coach at UK had had since 1930 until he became coach in 2008 he would have won 3 or 4 national championships...but once he won in 2012, and stated that he had done that and now could move on to putting kids in the NBA and changing generalization poverty as his top priority, he should have stepped down because he was no longer doing what he was being paid for. I appreciate very much what he did for the tornado victims in Dawson Springs and the Purchase and the flood victims in eastern Kentucky, but he was being paid to win and that was not his focus. He will reach yet another first on NBA draft night when Reed and Rob become the first top 10 or higher draft picks to be picked that were not starters on their college team. I don't hold anything against him personally but I really appreciate that he stepped down so that OUR program could get back to its goal of winning SEC and National Championships and carrying about winning every game.

If his priority had been what every coach at UK had had since 1930 until he became coach in 2008 he would have won 3 or 4 national championships...but once he won in 2012, and stated that he had done that and now could move on to putting kids in the NBA and changing generalization poverty as his top priority, he should have stepped down because he was no longer doing what he was being paid for. I appreciate very much what he did for the tornado victims in Dawson Springs and the Purchase and the flood victims in eastern Kentucky, but he was being paid to win and that was not his focus. He will reach yet another first on NBA draft night when Reed and Rob become the first top 10 or higher draft picks to be picked that were not starters on their college team. I don't hold anything against him personally but I really appreciate that he stepped down so that OUR program could get back to its goal of winning SEC and National Championships and carrying about winning every game.
Well said and it's past time.

I’m pretty confused by the obsession and hate towards him by or on here. Yeah of course it was time for him to go. But I guess I don’t understand why people would hate him. He was well past his coaching prime. And we needed to move on. I guess that’s really all I can take from it. What’s the reason for disliking him though ? Honestly just curious
The Cal Brigade continues to act like they didn't see a thing. "Time to go" is such a vague copout. What's the reason? There are MANY.

He's a liar, a jerk, hates the fans, loses to nobodies in the tournament routinely.

He craps on his best players when they aren't his favorite burger boys.

He inflates his own record while simultaneously pretending he doesn't care about it.

He panics in tight game situations.

He alienates the referees.

He doesn't know how to draw up an OOB play or run a zone defense, yet he blasts the fans for calling him out.

He tried to hold up UK for money not once, but twice.

I could literally write a book.

If Pope can have this attitude coming in and having to build from nothing, then so can the fans. Be grateful for the great stuff he did and forget the rest.
With all due respect, CMP didn't go through the last 5 years with us. He doesn't have a fan perspective like we do. He's taking the high road as the Kentucky coach, as he should. But the fans don't have to do that, and telling people HOW THEY SHOULD FEEL is presumptuous and arrogant.

Excuse me, but where did I tell anyone how they should feel? Reading comprehension might help you out a bit.
Speaking of reading comprehension, if you'd read his post, you'd have noticed that he quoted two people and was clearly talking to the other one.

Speaking of reading comprehension, if you'd read his post, you'd have noticed that he quoted two people and was clearly talking to the other one.
Please explain why I was quoted in that post then. He included me with that remark and I would like to know why. That's my point. Since you have better reading comprehension than I do woukd you please explain how I am connected to his remark?

The Cal Brigade continues to act like they didn't see a thing. "Time to go" is such a vague copout. What's the reason? There are MANY.

He's a liar, a jerk, hates the fans, loses to nobodies in the tournament routinely.

He craps on his best players when they aren't his favorite burger boys.

He inflates his own record while simultaneously pretending he doesn't care about it.

He panics in tight game situations.

He alienates the referees.

He doesn't know how to draw up an OOB play or run a zone defense, yet he blasts the fans for calling him out.

He tried to hold up UK for money not once, but twice.

I could literally write a book.
Dang he really got to you

The OP's Point No. 1 is misleading and is unduly generous to CCC. What happened is - CCC went to Arkansas and played footsie with John Tyson, which led to CCC talking with Tyson substantively about the Arkansas head coaching job - WITHOUT FIRST GETTING PERMISSION FROM MITCH to talk about the Arkansas job. By doing that, CCC breached his contract with U.K., which gave Mitch legal grounds to fire CCC for cause and thereby avoid any obligation for the buy-out. So Mitch - to his credit - seized the opportunity to get rid of CCC and just told him (metaphorically), "Look, you breached your contract, and I've got you by the balls with a downhill drag. You resign as U.K. head coach, and we'll forget about the breach of contract ... but we won't pay you any part of the buyout. If you can get the head coaching job at Arkansas after you resign from U.K., carry on."
Now I can't prove it, and neither Mitch nor CCC will ever admit it ... but I'd bet a really big price that that's what happened.
Bottom line ... CCC didn't just leave the U.K. job to be nice. He screwed up, legally, and - as they say - the rest is now history. Good riddance ! ! !
Absolutely, he didn't do it (or not do it) out of the goodness of his heart. He was being shifty and got caught.

What could have been I don’t hate him I can’t believe how much talent he basically wasted to not have more then 1.

Look.. I get that at some point, maybe this blows over. We're seeing it with Pitino as we speak, you see it in a lot of sports as time passes

But that is not happening with Cal anytime soon.. and honestly.. I'm not sure it will. It really seems like he was fine to lose games, out of spite, to prove some point. He wasn't a bad coach that got fired like BCG.. every team has bad coaches at some point. They weren't cut out for the job, and the fans move on. But Cal was almost purposefully bad, and I'm not sure you can come back from that.

I think it's going to be a long time before he's able to come back, like a Pitino, where we forger about the bad times and remember what they achieved. It certainly isn't going to happen next year.
I agree. There is a difference between the Pitino situation and the Calipari situation. And I'm just talking about their times at UK, NOT any other times or situations.

I know Pitino eventually went to our rival and his personal issues were his business, not mine; but while he was here, he was good to UK, always coached our team well, didn't put the NBA over UK, didn't talk down to the fans or treat us like garbage, didn't avoid press conferences when we lost or show up to them to brag, didn't break (bad) records (first losing season in 100 years, loss of 1st in total wins, etc.), he respected the traditions at UK, he coached to WIN.

Cal, on the other hand, did the exact opposite of the things I listed above. He almost DESTROYED my beloved school, my team and you could even say my state by embarrassing us on the national stage. WE ARE UK and he didn't respect us and our traditions...He was selfish...anything good he did was ultimately for selfish reasons. His ego couldn't take admitting he was wrong, he was thin-skinned. I could go on and on but I'm getting irritated just typing this.

People handle things differently. Some can get over Cal easier than others can. No one is right or wrong. Just please don't judge one if you are the other. If you don't want to hear people who are still upset, just don't read the comments and don't criticize them. We all will get over Cal eventually, just maybe not at the same time.

Oh, one more thing, then I promise I'll shut up on this topic. Some say that they like the person and not the coach or ask how can you do that? I'll be honest. I obviously do NOT like the coach and that should be obvious as to why. But as far as Cal, the person goes...I don't care much for the person either. He knew what he was doing here, using UK to promote the draft, showing favoritism to certain players, thinking he was bigger than UK and the program (his ego), etc. These are personal characteristics. I do not hate him, but that's why I don't like Cal either way...personal or professional.

Thanks for reading, if you do.

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT