ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stop disliking Calipari and wish him well

How did he treat their average fan like crap?

Seriously? He had a contentious relationship with some media members.

But spent a crap load of time with the fans. Always nice to me. I never saw him treat one fan like crap.

Please enlighten
I kinda disagree with this. My buddies and I attended the AAU tourneys every summer in Orlando. Several times we tried to speak to Cal when he was walking past us but he never stopped for even a minute. Now I know this is not a big deal, but it is memorable to us. Also, Cal not speaking about fan's concerns, dodging call-in shows, forgetting about what kentucky basketball is suppose to be about. To me, this is treating the average fan like crap, to a degree.

I kinda disagree with this. My buddies and I attended the AAU tourneys every summer in Orlando. Several times we tried to speak to Cal when he was walking past us but he never stopped for even a minute. Now I know this is not a big deal, but it is memorable to us. Also, Cal not speaking about fan's concerns, dodging call-in shows, forgetting about what kentucky basketball is suppose to be about. To me, this is treating the average fan like crap, to a degree.
I guess that's different personal experiences, he always spoke with us and even signed an autograph.

Also spoke to thousands at his team tours across the state.

This could be a a time and place situation

True Detective, Season 1.

It took Nic Pizzalatto a decade the write the screenplay.

It shows. It has the best dialogue for any series I've seen in television history. Absolutely brilliant screenplay.
None of the following ones are in the same stratosphere imo.

c594334e-928a-49e5-81f6-393cda3c2105_text.gif

Look.. I get that at some point, maybe this blows over. We're seeing it with Pitino as we speak, you see it in a lot of sports as time passes

But that is not happening with Cal anytime soon.. and honestly.. I'm not sure it will. It really seems like he was fine to lose games, out of spite, to prove some point. He wasn't a bad coach that got fired like BCG.. every team has bad coaches at some point. They weren't cut out for the job, and the fans move on. But Cal was almost purposefully bad, and I'm not sure you can come back from that.

I think it's going to be a long time before he's able to come back, like a Pitino, where we forger about the bad times and remember what they achieved. It certainly isn't going to happen next year.

I know over the last few years I've been about as hard on him as anyone on here has. But let's look at it this way.

1. He didn't force UK to fire him & pay him the 33 million dollar buyout.

2. These last several seasons didn't go the way any of us wanted. No one wanted to win & advance deep into the NCAA tournament anymore than Calipari did. He did the best he could do. He didn't lose these games because he wanted to.

3. He coached here 15 years and not even a hint of scandal. He never did anything to embarrass the BBN & the UK basketball program. he ran as clean a program as anyone could.

4. The recruits he brought in here were all top notch high character young men. None of them did anything while they were here or after they left here to embarrass the UK basketball program.

Maybe it's time we, myself included gets off his back
Cal put Ky Basketball back where it belonged and won us a chip. I hated that things turned bad for him here. He was given the respect and time to right the ship but couldn't get it done. To his credit he moved on and admitted it was time for a new direction. He exited a lot like Tubby did.

Look.. I get that at some point, maybe this blows over. We're seeing it with Pitino as we speak, you see it in a lot of sports as time passes

But that is not happening with Cal anytime soon.. and honestly.. I'm not sure it will. It really seems like he was fine to lose games, out of spite, to prove some point. He wasn't a bad coach that got fired like BCG.. every team has bad coaches at some point. They weren't cut out for the job, and the fans move on. But Cal was almost purposefully bad, and I'm not sure you can come back from that.

I think it's going to be a long time before he's able to come back, like a Pitino, where we forger about the bad times and remember what they achieved. It certainly isn't going to happen next year.
I don't think he was so much bad on purpose as much as winning stopped being the prime directive which means losing doesn't have much of a pain point which those accustomed to winning tend to sniff out because the opposite is so apparent so it shows.

Wins and banners became things just done in passing on the way to the NBA green room.

The urgency just sucked clean out and replaced with haughty ass pride in dominating draft night.

• Sad
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I don't think he was so much bad on purpose as much as winning stopped being the prime directive which means losing doesn't have much of a pain point which those accustomed to winning tend to sniff out because the opposite is so apparent so it shows.

Wins and banners became things just done in passing on the way to the NBA green room.

The urgency just sucked clean out and replaced with haughty ass pride in dominating draft night.
I lost all respect for him. I don't think he's as bad a coach as we think. Giving up one after anther in bounds plays right under the basket. Any hi school coach could stop that. Didn't play he's best players because he didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Are you kidding. No coach at any level would do that. Didn't know how to coach a zone. Get serious. Was a great defensive coach then just forgot how. Do you really believe that. To many Thing dont add up. I don't want anything bad to happen but all of this didn't just happen. I've heard a lot of people say it didn't even look like he was trying to win. I would like to know the truth. Why did he leave. He left ky for ark. If you believe that I have a bridge for sale you might like. We will never know the truth. Barkley said he got out of town ahead of the pose. That I believe

I lost all respect for him. I don't think he's as bad a coach as we think. Giving up one after anther in bounds plays right under the basket. Any hi school coach could stop that. Didn't play he's best players because he didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Are you kidding. No coach at any level would do that. Didn't know how to coach a zone. Get serious. Was a great defensive coach then just forgot how. Do you really believe that. To many Thing dont add up. I don't want anything bad to happen but all of this didn't just happen. I've heard a lot of people say it didn't even look like he was trying to win. I would like to know the truth. Why did he leave. He left ky for ark. If you believe that I have a bridge for sale you might like. We will never know the truth. Barkley said he got out of town ahead of the posse That I believe

Last edited:
No and yes.

1. He’s an asshole and I don’t see myself getting warm and fuzzy about him any time soon.

2. Sure he may as well succeed. As far as what success is realistically gonna look like for him at Arkansas. I’m not anti-human. Just not fond of assholes.

I know over the last few years I've been about as hard on him as anyone on here has. But let's look at it this way.

2. These last several seasons didn't go the way any of us wanted. No one wanted to win & advance deep into the NCAA tournament anymore than Calipari did. He did the best he could do. He didn't lose these games because he wanted to.

3. He coached here 15 years and not even a hint of scandal. He never did anything to embarrass the BBN & the UK basketball program. he ran as clean a program as anyone could.

4. The recruits he brought in here were all top notch high character young men. None of them did anything while they were here or after they left here to embarrass the UK basketball program.

Fk him.. I'll boo the SOB every time I see him and if I could I'd throw poo at him every time too..

Exactly he is SCUMBAG! I will never forget 9-16, 15 seeded Peacocks, 14 seeded Oakland, 2 missed NCAA tournaments, lost the all time tournament wins to UNC, Robert Morris, Richmond, Evansville, Kansas State 2 times, and UNC Wilmington.
Hey, be careful what you post here about Cal, the dahc will resort to calling you pathetic for your opinion on his hero.

Fuk no...and I take exception to your 2nd point: Cal absolutely did NOT do the best he could do (no scouting, no multiple defenses, no oob plays); he didn't want to win/advance to the point he'd have to bench one of his chosen nba-bound players when they were being demonstrably outplayed by someone w/out as much future upside; and while he may not have lost because he wanted to, he sure didn't prioritize winning. Nope, it'll be a hot minute before I'll get over my case of the ass w/ him. Maybe after we win another title?

As for point #3, I can't speak for others, but 9-16 embarassed the sh!t outta me.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder

a
And none of this offsets the damage he did to the UK tradition and records. The man used UK to advance his NBA goals and objectives and put UK goals and objectives secondary to the NBA narrative. He said UK only hangs banners for FF's, well UK should only hang banners for Coach's who put UK first. If we ever hang a banner for him hang it over the shitter in the HC office.

I don't hate Calipari, but I'm happy he's finally gone.
This pretty much says it for me. He had early success and some fun teams to watch and brought in great players to cheer for. But his dismal record the past 5 years or so was not fun at all to many UK fans including myself. I don't hate the guy either but not sorry to see him gone. Pretty excited to see what Pope can do.

I’m pretty confused by the obsession and hate towards him by or on here. Yeah of course it was time for him to go. But I guess I don’t understand why people would hate him. He was well past his coaching prime. And we needed to move on. I guess that’s really all I can take from it. What’s the reason for disliking him though ? Honestly just curious

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-McD
If they turned on Muss, they WILL turn on Cal!. Muss won more games than Cal the last five years with less talent. He also went shirtless after winning big games and called the pigs, something Cal will never do. Cals time at Arkansas will be interesting to say the least.

Just admit you don’t want to change your damn username and move on.

Nah, won't lay off the chithead that made Kentucky basketball into a mockery the last 9 years he was here. I am a Kentucky fan, not an NBA fan, seeing so called 5 stars come through here year after year and never winning anything broke me. I will never lay off his rear and could care less that he is knee deep in pigchit, he deserves to be with the hogs in never land. My opinion and my rant.

I’m pretty confused by the obsession and hate towards him by or on here. Yeah of course it was time for him to go. But I guess I don’t understand why people would hate him. He was well past his coaching prime. And we needed to move on. I guess that’s really all I can take from it. What’s the reason for disliking him though ? Honestly just curious
If you ever met him, you would know he's a douchebag.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Cal's last 5 years at Kentucky amounted to theft as far as I'm concerned.

In a state where many people struggle to make ends meet or worse, the man was rewarded on a yearly basis with generational wealth over and over and over. In return he took a vacation from coaching and ruined five complete years of Kentucky basketball that we will never get back again.

Calipari bilked Kentucky, took millions upon millions and now you want to give him forgiveness as well? He's not your friend, your father or your uncle - he was the state's highest paid public employee (by far) and he failed at his job. Simple as that.

If anything he owes the entire state a sincere and heartfelt apology.

I’ve said numerous times that I am choosing to appreciate his first half and his resurrection of UK and bringing in a ton of amazing kids, both on and off the court. 15 years and the worst thing that happened was Willis and a potential DUI. Look at the issues KU has had in that time frame (not that it matters to their trash fans or the kids who decide to play there).

Enjoy Cal for the good he did for UK and the people of Kentucky and let the rest go. Life is too short to hate someone you don’t even know and has zero influenece on anything in your life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT