Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 96.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread should be deleted and the OP perma banned for shear ignorance

OP do you believe Rupp was a racist?

Is it time to rename every structure or building, remove every statue, and pretend nothing that happened in the past happened because some people today didn't like something they said, did, or believed?
The OP, perhaps incidentally, makes a good point.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT CONFEDERATE STATUES. It's merely the first step in the radical left's plan to stamp out and rewrite American history.

It won't end at confederate statutes for the radical left, there will simply be a new target for their ire. Mount Vernon? Jefferson Memorial? (Already being called for by Al Sharpton today) Vietnam Memorial?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
~ George Orwell, from his novel 1984

I feel like it should be named Judd Arena
Close. But I think we should honor ALL the women, just as Ashley did in her landmark inaugural day address.

I vote for "Nasty Woman Arena." For the truly progressive, it can become known as N.W.A. arena, honoring yet another subset of the artistic community...

Reactions: Kentucky31
Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the near future, some crazy group of people does take offense to Rupp's name. Just the sad direction our country is heading in right now. Hope I'm wrong. Rupp's name should never be touched relating to anything UK basketball.

Not surprised by the responses so far. This is not an area of the country known for its progressive thinking.
I believe you are the one making an unsubstantiated judgement on an individual. In your vague fly by trolling you didn't even attempt to state a reason for the name change. Revisionist history is not welcomed in the Common Wealth.

I think the OP has a point. Maybe Rupp Arena should be renamed. How about for a president who was born in Kentucky, though came to fame in another state:

JEFFERSON DAVIS ARENA

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the near future, some crazy group of people does take offense to Rupp's name. Just the sad direction our country is heading in right now. Hope I'm wrong. Rupp's name should never be touched relating to anything UK basketball.
Good to see you posting more over here

Reactions: JimboBBN
Not surprised by the responses so far. This is not an area of the country known for its progressive thinking.

Idiotic take on he situation.

Who's known for their "progressive" thinking lol! Lemme guess... NY and other "northern " cities/ states.

Why the F would we need to rename Rupp arena ?

Bc people "said" he was racist ? Smfh ... I swear this line of thinking is like a disease that continues to spread all across the country

Dean Dome should be renamed due to the decades of academic fraud under his watch. Should be renamed the Jordan Athletic Center, Kings of Fraud Facility, or JACKOFF. Wait, never mind, MJ was a habitual gambler and adulterer. Can't name it after him, either.

I like how people wanna act like the south were the only ones who not only had slaves, but treated blacks like dirt. Yes the south was moreso , but the north didn't just start the war "bc of slavery!" The north actually tried to compromise and say the south could keep their slaves to an extent. Of course the south declined. And it's a travesty . Slavery is a travesty. Heartbreaking, disgusting... but where this narrative that Lincoln and the entire north were some blacks rights activists is ridiculous

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Mr OP, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: jrpross
dc12049c419ad387a6d1a0a680c87455--quotes-for-me-snowflakes.jpg

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” George Orwell
Taking down the confederate participation trophies doesn't mean the history of the civil war won't be taught. Try and use logical arguments.

Why don't you just come on out and say what you are trying to imply? You think Rupp was a racist, or at least "a man of his time". What a load of garbage! As many have said on here already, Rupp was nothing of the sort. We can spend all day on the details as to why, but Rupp has/is being vilified because he won big and people outside of Kentucky didn't like it.

Read the link, http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rupp.html and come back and see us.

No, Rupp should not be renamed. That would be ridiculous.

Slightly more ridiculous than trying to draw equivalencies between our founding fathers and traitorous losers who fought against our country.

I find it hilarious that people think the only thing the civil war was about was slavery. Don't be lazy and instead do a little research on what the states were standing for.

Oh and you realize those "founding fathers" you hold so high were not only traitorous to England but owned slaves too?

Taking down the confederate participation trophies doesn't mean the history of the civil war won't be taught. Try and use logical arguments.

Joseph Stalin would certainly agree. Now rationally explain to us, why you think you have a right to remove flags, statues , and symbols that offend you? Freedom of speech seems to be an increasingly pesky thing to the left in this country. How about confederate graves? Want to desecrate them as well because you have decided they offend you? When did the left become the Taliban?
Btw, it's not that the civil war won't be taught, it's that it will be taught how YOU WANT IT TAUGHT.
He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984

There goes Ft. Lee and Ft Bragg and Ft Hood to name a few. Did you ever wonder why our government and military leaders felt respectful enough to name those bases after "Rebel" leaders. Maybe everything you read or hear may not tell the whole and correct story.

I find it hilarious that people think the only thing the civil war was about was slavery. Don't be lazy and instead do a little research on what the states were standing for.

Oh and you realize those "founding fathers" you hold so high were not only traitorous to England but owned slaves too?

This. Slavery was NOT the main or even the most important aspect of the war (as harrowing and awful as slavery was)

This. Slavery was NOT the main or even the most important aspect of the war (as harrowing and awful as slavery was)

It was primarily about slavery. Historians tend to agree that the best official and contemporary statement of the reasons behind secession and thus the war were stated in Confederate VP Alexander Stephens' "Cornerstone Address" of March 21, 1851.

Stephens enumerated the difference between the North and South as a difference in beliefs about races (emphasis mine):

Our new government is founded upon exactly (this) idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth

He specifically stated the driving reason for secession was slavery (again, emphasis mine):

"The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutionsAfrican slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right."

The idea that it wasn't hugely and primarily about slavery is a re-imagining of history that began in the 1920s and 1930s under historical revisionists like Howard Beale and Charles Beard (ironically, both northerners from Chicago and Connecticut, respectively). Prior to them, there was little or no debate as to why secession happened. The rank and file soldiers of the Confederacy, and even some of its higher ranking officers likely cared little for or against slavery (whatever their personal feelings on slavery, they likely cared more about loyalty to their state), but the rank and file populace of the south aren't who seceded and rebelled- that was the politicians and elite, and that was about slavery.

Conversely, the idea that Rupp was a virulent racist is a re-writing of history as well that began mostly in and around 1966.

Rupp had nothing to do with slavery and was a coach who had to take his players into the segregated deep south on an annual basis. Many hotels at that time would not even allow black people to stay there. Where would he stay with his team in Mississippi, Alabama, etc? The fact that he did not recruit many black players was merely a sign of those times and not a reflection on him as a person. Silly argument.

That said, I do see why African Americans would like to see statues honoring Confederate soldiers/generals brought down from public places and government buildings. These Confederate individuals were traitors and actually fought against the United States of America. They were fighting on the side of the issue that wanted to maintain slavery, even if that was not the "only" reason they were fighting. If they had won, who knows how much longer slavery would have stained this great country's history.
Ask yourself this....Do you think that German Jews would be cool with statues of Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler, and Hess in their towns? Would German Jews be ok with Nazi flags flying above the courthouses and waving from the back of pick up trucks? There are no Nazi soldier statues in Germany honoring those men. That doesn't happen in Germany. Nazi memorabilia is placed in museums.
Black Americans see the Confederate leaders and flag in the same light as Jews do the Nazis. Those people were their oppressors. When I look at it from that perspective, it makes more sense to me why they feel the way they do about these statues.
They should be placed in Civil War museums (Like the Holocaust Museum in DC) and not destroyed. Learn from history but don't erase and deny its existence.

It was primarily about slavery. Historians tend to agree that the best official and contemporary statement of the reasons behind secession and thus the war were stated in Confederate VP Alexander Stephens' "Cornerstone Address" of March 21, 1851.

Stephens enumerated the difference between the North and South as a difference in beliefs about races (emphasis mine):

Our new government is founded upon exactly (this) idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth

He specifically stated the driving reason for secession was slavery (again, emphasis mine):

"The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institutionsAfrican slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right."

The idea that it wasn't hugely and primarily about slavery is a re-imagining of history that began in the 1920s and 1930s under historical revisionists like Howard Beale and Charles Beard (ironically, both northerners from Chicago and Connecticut, respectively). Prior to them, there was little or no debate as to why secession happened. The rank and file soldiers of the Confederacy, and even some of its higher ranking officers likely cared little for or against slavery (whatever their personal feelings on slavery, they likely cared more about loyalty to their state), but the rank and file populace of the south aren't who seceded and rebelled- that was the politicians and elite, and that was about slavery.

Conversely, the idea that Rupp was a virulent racist is a re-writing of history as well that began mostly in and around 1966.

In my post I said the only thing it was about. I guarantee that the majority of people today think that was the only reason. While it was the primary reason, it also had to do with the fact that the federal government was trying to supersede any laws for each state. The states felt they needed to stand up to avoid the federal government becoming too powerful. You have to understand they had just came from countries where the kings, queens and dictators had all of the power and they left those countries and come to America for that reason. They didn't want the same thing happening again. The Slavery issue just happened to be at the center of the debate of what the federal government was trying to force on states.

Waiting on the OP to give his/her opinion to their own question? How did you vote? Care to chime in on the goatf*ck you created?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT