• No

Votes: 94 96.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GYERater

Junior
Jul 19, 2012
Given the current climate and direction of the country is it time to be proactive and rename the arena and distance ourselves from the segregated past?

images

Not surprised by the responses so far. This is not an area of the country known for its progressive thinking.

Not surprised by the responses so far. This is not an area of the country known for its progressive thinking.

Probably because your definition (in this case) and a lot of the liberals' current view of what's "progressive" isn't actually progressive. In fact, what liberals try to call "progressive" only makes problems worse and propagates division between races and various people groups.

Why would you want to change the name from the first coach to try and break the color barrier in the SEC. Rupp tried to recruit Butch Beard when these rest of the conference was against it but lost out to UL. He was way ahead of other schools like UNC and Duke on that front so lets change the name of Duke since it sounds racist. Makes as much sense.

Rupp has been transformed into a symbol of racism that he never was."Said former UK playerPat Riley,"People who didn't know him went through the myth and the legend and all the rumors more than anything else, and did not go directly to people who knew Adolph."

Wonder if we named it the Barack Hussein Obama Arena. Reckon would that pacifie the liberal, snowflakes then? Then what would the snowflakes demand next?... Oh I know, I bet they would say take down the 4 championship banners that coach Rupp won. You can never please this trash.

F the op... I just met an alumni a week ago that was telling me stories of how he worked for Rupp and "Happy". He was a student in grad school helping with the recruitment of minorities. Basically, it was a huge uphill battle, trying to convince the kids to try UK
Not to mention the SEC. I was there as well.

Is it time to rename the O'Connell Center?

'The University of Florida had integrated racially in 1958 without violence and with little protest.[1] By the 1967 fall term, however, only sixty-one black students were enrolled, and many black students were actually foreign exchange students.[7] The Black Student Union organized a sit-in protest inside the university president's office suite on April 15, 1971; the students were demanding a black cultural center. The occupation ended with the peaceful arrest of sixty-six students, after O'Connell had threatened them with expulsion.[7] In the aftermath of the sit-in, O'Connell refused to grant complete amnesty to the student demonstrators who had participated, and 125 of the university's black students and several black faculty members left the university in protest.[8]'

Reactions: ORCAT and brianpoe
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT