ADVERTISEMENT

Is it harder getting kids interested in coming here when they have no idea who they'll be playing with?

Mar 3, 2024
If I'm a transfer being recruited by Kentucky, I'm thinking, who will I be playing with? These kids coming here for a visit, it's not like normal seasons when they get to hang out with and around the team. We have a whole 2 players and one is probably not even here yet. I know NIL and playing time is the main sell. But beyond that, it's just Pope trying to convince them they'll play in a fun system and talking about how cool Kentucky is. I think it would he hard for players to commit and not know if someone better is going to sign after them. That may put them back in the same spot they were trying to get out of to begin with. Under Cal, the system sold itself. This is a new era, and a new brand. It's just a weird off season. So many changes.

I put off admitting it, but college basketball is a clown show now. NIL and transfer portal are two extreme changes and they happened at the same time. Just a completely different game now. We always were but it’s now just blatantly clear we’re cheering for laundry
If the NCAA doesn’t enforce a single portal entry per player rule, the sport is effectively dead. The fact they haven’t done it already suggests to me those in charge are too stupid to care.

If the NCAA doesn’t enforce a single portal entry per player rule, the sport is effectively dead. The fact they haven’t done it already suggests to me those in charge are too stupid to care.
With Virginia allowing schools to now pay players this will open the flood gates to then becoming employees now. It may help stop some of these wild transfers but who knows. I know schools like Texas and Arkansas, Ohio State will really benefit from that. At least we have SEC money but it will be interesting to see the budgets schools allows for this.

I agree with the replies. It just makes me sad because the game and the culture around it will never again be like it once was. There's no university pride now. Transferring 3 times in a 4 year college career is like marrying and divorcing 3 times. There's no loyalty. They need to change the term "commitment" because that isn't what it is anymore.

I put off admitting it, but college basketball is a clown show now. NIL and transfer portal are two extreme changes and they happened at the same time. Just a completely different game now. We always were but it’s now just blatantly clear we’re cheering for laundry
Ncaa caters to the system of the majority to keep themselves clear of being accused as oppresionists. NIL and "getting the bag" is the brainchild of athletes trying to get paid working every muscle in their body except their brains. It is indeed a clown show.

This is why, to me, you really have to get your first few guys set. Things are even harder for us because our ENTIRE team is new.

I have a feeling we're gonna need to have a real subpar year next year, just to build that year 1 consistency. We might be too much of an unknown to transfer players.

If a player visits right now, he might not even be able to see a single player on campus except for maybe Burks or a walk on, right?

The NCAA had a rule of only 1 free transfer, then you'd have to sit out a year. A federalcl court struck it down. So the NCAA is legally barred from doing what you're asking them to do. The NCAA asked congress to regulate this year's ago, vongress didn't, and then players went to court and got the NCAA'S rules thrown out. It's a billion dollar industry and it was inevitable the model of amateur athletes being a billion dollar product was going to fail in court.

Not to mention the terrible quality of play now. With guys moving around every year there is no continuity. Gelling with new teammates every single year is hard.

If a player visits right now, he might not even be able to see a single player on campus except for maybe Burks or a walk on, right?
Right?? I mean Pope was just now hired. The assistants that are working for him until officially hired, what do they know about UK and the campus....? What do they know about the Craft center? Where are they taking them recruits on visits? What exactly are they trying to sell? It's a fly by the seat of your pants scenario. I don't really care for it. We may be subpar the first year and hopefully build on that in years 2 and 3.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
You have no idea what’s happening or what they are telling/showing recruits. Fans aren’t entitled to know every behind the scenes detail as he works to recruit and fill his staff. Relax, I trust in Coach Pope until he gives me a reason not to.

The NCAA had a rule of only 1 free transfer, then you'd have to sit out a year. A federalcl court struck it down. So the NCAA is legally barred from doing what you're asking them to do. The NCAA asked congress to regulate this year's ago, vongress didn't, and then players went to court and got the NCAA'S rules thrown out. It's a billion dollar industry and it was inevitable the model of amateur athletes being a billion dollar product was going to fail in court.
There is no chance all of that is accurate. They can enforce the number of years you are eligible to play and they can declare you ineligible for transferring too many times. The only ruling I’m aware of is that they can’t force players to sit out after transferring. They also can’t regulate NIL, but they can absolutely regulate the number of times you can transfer before being ruled ineligible. It may be challenged, but if so that’s a quick path to players retiring from nba play and returning to play NCAA basketball. I mean, why not?

Well, that’s no longer just the UK thing. The combination of NIL money and the transfer portal basically means nearly EVERYBODY now has to deal with this crazy annual roster turnover.

Seems like madness to me, but that is how it now is.
Definitely … not just UK !! Everywhere !!

If I'm a transfer being recruited by Kentucky, I'm thinking, who will I be playing with? These kids coming here for a visit, it's not like normal seasons when they get to hang out with and around the team. We have a whole 2 players and one is probably not even here yet. I know NIL and playing time is the main sell. But beyond that, it's just Pope trying to convince them they'll play in a fun system and talking about how cool Kentucky is. I think it would he hard for players to commit and not know if someone better is going to sign after them. That may put them back in the same spot they were trying to get out of to begin with. Under Cal, the system sold itself. This is a new era, and a new brand. It's just a weird off season. So many changes.
I really don't see that as a problem unless the kid is afraid of competition, if that is the case then may not want them here. They should earn their time on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT