ADVERTISEMENT

Is it fair to say...?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Our bowling/noise in the SECE depends on 1) improved QB production and 2) significant improvement in DL play?

For all his talents and heart, the stats don't tell a positive tale for SJ, especially the last 6 games of the regular season. I know he played all but crippled and I love him for it, but, to compete and beat the Georgias, Floridas, Miss Sts, USCs, UTs, of the conference and make step up, we've got to have more production from the QB position.

The DL has been a constant weak spot at UK for a long, long time with only a few bright years as exceptions. This year I think we have quality depth and, potentially, a few playmakers who can make a big difference in whether this season is 5-6 wins or whether we make the leap to 8 wins or more. Paschal and Bohanna are two who could become disruptive forces and the there are others who can still develop into solid SEC DL. We badly need them to step up and become on the level of our LB and DB corps.

Is this thinking too simplified? I think the skill positions and OL will be fine. The back 7 on D will be fine. Special teams should be pretty decent although we'll miss McGinnis, I'm afraid. The coaching should be better, too. Does it really boil down to QB and DL or is there more (less) that we should be concentrating on?

Our bowling/noise in the SECE depends on 1) improved QB production and 2) significant improvement in DL play?

For all his talents and heart, the stats don't tell a positive tale for SJ, especially the last 6 games of the regular season. I know he played all but crippled and I love him for it, but, to compete and beat the Georgias, Floridas, Miss Sts, USCs, UTs, of the conference and make step up, we've got to have more production from the QB position.

The DL has been a constant weak spot at UK for a long, long time with only a few bright years as exceptions. This year I think we have quality depth and, potentially, a few playmakers who can make a big difference in whether this season is 5-6 wins or whether we make the leap to 8 wins or more. Paschal and Bohanna are two who could become disruptive forces and the there are others who can still develop into solid SEC DL. We badly need them to step up and become on the level of our LB and DB corps.

Is this thinking too simplified? I think the skill positions and OL will be fine. The back 7 on D will be fine. Special teams should be pretty decent although we'll miss McGinnis, I'm afraid. The coaching should be better, too. Does it really boil down to QB and DL or is there more (less) that we should be concentrating on?
Pretty much it I'm afraid. Would add however WRs really, really need to step up. To me, at this time, that unit is not SEC quality. Doesn't mean the can't be, just aren't there yet. Somebody with top end speed who can catch needs to come forward.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Pretty much it I'm afraid. Would add however WRs really, really need to step up. To me, at this time, that unit is not SEC quality. Doesn't mean the can't be, just aren't there yet. Somebody with top end speed who can catch needs to come forward.

Agree with both posts.

Think I read in the LHL that in 2013, Stoops first year, we were 92nd in the country against the run. In 2016, we had fallen to no. 110. Last year, in Stoops 5th year . . .. we still ended up no. 92 again. :weary: That simply has to change or we have already topped out at 7 wins.

Before watching the spring game I would have agreed that we had no one with great top end speed but being there watching live there is no doubt in my mind that Epps has that speed, he has SEC speed for sure. Still to be determined if he has great hands but we will see.

Agree with both posts.

Think I read in the LHL that in 2013, Stoops first year, we were 92nd in the country against the run. In 2016, we had fallen to no. 110. Last year, in Stoops 5th year . . .. we still ended up no. 92 again. :weary: That simply has to change or we have already topped out at 7 wins.

Since Stoops has been here, we have had a defensive lineman about every other year, that was being counted on, either injured or did not play for whatever reason. And even though none were great players they all had experience that would have helped. Our depth right now might be the best its ever been since Stoops has been here but lose one or two of those guys this year and we are back to square one again.

Agree 100%. QB #1, DL #2, WR #2A.
Go Cats!
[cheers]

I agree with you on the QB situation, I hope our next QB is more accurate, but I hope he has that "it" factor that SJ had

It might be even more simple. SJ had intangible qualities that were awesome but his production shouldn’t be hard to replace with the talent we have returning.....shouldn’t....

During the Spring Game they presented a stat from last yr. (and please correct me someone if I’m wrong). But in all our wins last yr we allowed 94 yds/game rushing. In our losses we allowed 290. Run stop isn’t just a DL issue. But it could be just as simple to say that we could be looking at a 9 win season if our rush defense could improve.

Is this thinking too simplified?

No I think that's basically it in a nutshell. I do think we are seeing some answers along the D-line but the quarterback situation is still a huge question mark.

I think the success of the season may come down to how the staff can get the most out of both Hoak and Wilson. If they really wanted to get creative they could put both in the game at the same time and if the defense has nickle personnel on the field they shift Wilson under center but if the have a heavy box let Hoak take the snap. Or they could go with Hoak between the 20s and feature Wilson in red zone and short yardage situations. I do think they will need to use both of these QBs in some manner or fashion.

gamecock is dead on but I'll go ahead and "broaden" his "improvements list" just a bit...

Not just "improved QB production" but Improved Passing Game Performance Better QB "production" is definitely necessary but better passing game performance will require better protection and receiver play as well.

Not just "significant improvement in DL play" but Improved Run Defense A top notch D-line is probably the most difficult "unit" for most teams to build. It is great if you have AL's or Clemson's personnel but there are many teams that do a good job of defending the run game without a bunch of draft choices in the front row.

JMO

Peace

At some point the defense has to improve if we are going to take another step in the right direction.It starts with the DL,they have to begin to make some plays behind or at the line of scrimmage. The LB have to take better angles to the point of attack and make plays when they get there.

I think we will get enough production out of the QB spot to equal what Johnson did last year.

Interesting that gamecockcat started this thread because the South Carolina game will tell us a whole lot about what this team is or is not.

This is a big year for Stoops,winning record,bowl game and bowl win signals that something is indeed going on here.If we miss on any of those he is treading water and drifting toward the deep end.

It might be even more simple. SJ had intangible qualities that were awesome but his production shouldn’t be hard to replace with the talent we have returning.....shouldn’t....

During the Spring Game they presented a stat from last yr. (and please correct me someone if I’m wrong). But in all our wins last yr we allowed 94 yds/game rushing. In our losses we allowed 290. Run stop isn’t just a DL issue. But it could be just as simple to say that we could be looking at a 9 win season if our rush defense could improve.

I heard the same thing, pretty amazing difference IMO. I know it was less than 100 YPG but I thought it "only" jumped to about 255 in the losses. still an unbelievable number. But I'm not any more sure of my numbers than you were, hard to believe it could average over three times as much for that many games though.

Last edited:
I heard the same thing, pretty amazing difference IMO. I know it was less than !00 YPG but I thought it "only" jumped to about 255 in the losses. still an unbelievable number. But I'm not any more sure of my numbers than you were, hard to believe it could average over three times as much for that many games though.

I wasn’t completely sure on the exact numbers.....thanks for correcting me. What I’d like to see is how close we were in those losses......meaning, what would our record have been if we’d held opponents to 200 yds rushing? 150? 100?

Too many consecutive 3 and outs by your offense will make any defense look bad....

The longer you can keep the D off the field, the better production you'll get (At least in UK's case since quality depth is always an issue)

D Line is #1 for me...it's pretty amazing we won 7 games being 92nd in the country versus the run. What's really concerning is how we got completely blown out by the upper echelon teams. QB is a distant 2nd for me. Stephen's production wasn't that great last year, mostly because of injuries, but he was very effective in crunch time and had the intangibles that got us a lot of close W's. I think his heir apparent is Wilson, and I'm excited because I believe he is stronger, faster, and has a better arm strength than SJ. Whether he has SJ's intangibles is the $64 question. #3 is WR. We weren't that great last year and I think we could be a little better this year if Baker can play well. I think Bowden can replace Juice adequately. Ali is a comer as well.

Reactions: Kingseve1
IMO you can add the DB's to the leak link. Looks like a coaching issue, but how they play back on a receiver and face up instead of even looking for the ball is beyond me. Gave up a lot of easy yards without putting pressure on the receiver and going for the ball.

Linebacker play continues to worry me, Love just didn’t have the physical tools (although he maximized his abilities) but I do not see an upgrade in talent at his position along with the undisciplined play (not talking about after play stuff) of Jones and a major loss in experienced depth due to a transfer.

DL is not our only problem in stopping the run.

Dave

Those numbers are pretty accurate I would think, not sure what they show though. OM rushed for less than 100 UF for less than 140, certainly not overwhelming rushing yards. Only 3 teams put up big rushing yards against UK last season, MissSt, Louisville and UGA. Jackson was a freak and capable of putting up big rushing numbers against anyone ,State and UGA were both run heavy teams I think UGA was 70-30 rushing attempts. Plus they were probably the 3 best teams UK played in 18. I don't think UK's rush defense was stellar, but using that stat alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Linebacker play continues to worry me, Love just didn’t have the physical tools (although he maximized his abilities) but I do not see an upgrade in talent at his position along with the undisciplined play (not talking about after play stuff) of Jones and a major loss in experienced depth due to a transfer.

Dave

I agree with you on this. UK's OLB are very good at applying pressure on the qb and that skill will make them lots of money, but they were not very good against the run. The only UK LB with good lateral movement, imo, was Jones and he was injured for a good portion of the year. OLB would be in position to make a play, but a little move or fake got them out of positon and they couldn't recover in time to make a play and Love's limited range made him a half step late being able to help and Jones trying to play with basically 1 arm wasn't good. But it latteral quickness, being able to move laterally side to side is what separates good LB from elite LB.

Thanks Grumpy, to further your point, we have a very hard time setting the edge, our outside backers are far too worried about living up to the over-hyped “blitz bros” moniker than to remember proper responsibilities.

Dave

Those numbers are pretty accurate I would think, not sure what they show though. OM rushed for less than 100 UF for less than 140, certainly not overwhelming rushing yards. Only 3 teams put up big rushing yards against UK last season, MissSt, Louisville and UGA. Jackson was a freak and capable of putting up big rushing numbers against anyone ,State and UGA were both run heavy teams I think UGA was 70-30 rushing attempts. Plus they were probably the 3 best teams UK played in 18. I don't think UK's rush defense was stellar, but using that stat alone doesn't tell the whole story.

True, but you aren't going to win too many games averaging giving up almost 300 YPG, at least not with our offense. And what an amazing contrast to the games we won.

Dave

Losing a four star LB is a big loss, even if he didn't start, but before Stoops if we had lost a four star at ANY position we would have had zero left at the position, not true at a lot of positions now AND certainly not at LB. And not just recruit rankings, but draft status two stars and lots of highly rated three stars left at LB.

but there are many teams that do a good job of defending the run game without a bunch of draft choices in the front row.

True, but it is difficult to name one that plays an eight game SEC slate, that effectively defends the run without NFL talent.

Hell, Mizzou might have the best Nose in the league with former 5 star Beckner, and even they were porous against SEC running attacks.

Reactions: RV2
gamecock is dead on but I'll go ahead and "broaden" his "improvements list" just a bit...

Not just "improved QB production" but Improved Passing Game Performance Better QB "production" is definitely necessary but better passing game performance will require better protection and receiver play as well.

Not just "significant improvement in DL play" but Improved Run Defense A top notch D-line is probably the most difficult "unit" for most teams to build. It is great if you have AL's or Clemson's personnel but there are many teams that do a good job of defending the run game without a bunch of draft choices in the front row.

JMO

Peace

BUT it is possible that we have THREE future draft choices (out of three positions) on the DL this year, Paschal, Bohanna, and McCall.

Not to mention some others that have started in the past, and others still to emerge?

Last edited:
True, but you aren't going to win too many games averaging giving up almost 300 YPG, at least not with our offense. And what an amazing contrast to the games we won.

True, but you have to sometimes give other teams credit for being able to put up those nunbers.. Sometimes on a particular day a team is just that much better. I don't know about the State game, but I know the UGA and Louisville game were played when Jones was trying to play with one arm, he was by far the best UK defender against the run heading into the season. His injury really hurt UK in that area, and he never got back ro 100% during the season.

Yes, QB play is key. We get good play, we win 7 games or maybe more for the 3rd straight year.

BUT it is possible that we have THREE future draft choices (out of three positions) on the DL this year, Paschal, Bohanna, and McCall.

Not to mention some others that have started in the past, and others still to emerge?
But, right now that potential has yet to manifest itself in a draft caliber (seasonal) performance.

The key words in your post are possible and future. The key words in my response are potential and performance. [winking]

Peace

But, right now that potential has yet to manifest itself in a draft caliber (seasonal) performance.

The key words in your post are possible and future. The key words in my response are potential and performance. [winking]

Peace

That kind of sounds like the difference between an optimist and a pessimist.

Sometimes. But not jproven yet.

Peace

Not proven, not sure what more you should expect from two TRUE freshmen than what Pachal and Bohanna showed last year, so there was the performance, not sure what you expected, neither came in as the Big 12 defensive player of the year with a PROVEN badass reputation. Had to kick the RB off his scholarship promise he had for a year, but oh well. And McCall is the highest rated DL we have had come in since five star (before the ratings) Robertson, so there is the potential, according to the experts...

How do you think Transfer U's THREE P5 transfers AND half dozen JC transfers (we already know the JC transfers will boost your APR, lol) will do in shoring up the holes, another great job under jurich's win at all costs dictatorships. You guys are going to miss him. I wonder how long BP will stick around, no more $500,000 bonuses for nothing with him gone. Although I think that and the $45,000,000 buyout for Slick Rick, had to be split up at least two ways, maybe not as obvious as the MILLIONS the shoe deal that jurich said was for the players that ended up almost completely in Slick's hands. What ever happened to all that money anyway?

Don't you keep up with those sort of things, I thought finances was one of your strong points, or is it something you just don't want to talk about?

i started to post something similar ... that an injured SJ continued to be our best option concerns me . . . I'm trying to lower my expectations, but anything less than 7-5 could prove devastating . . . GBB

Yes, I think it is too simplified, but it's a fair conclusion as far as it goes. As I look at our returning team, our offensive line and our running game would be my lowest concern. Our passing game would be my highest concern, and that's not just a quarterback matter. There isn't enough proven receiver depth, so several of our younger receivers will have to step up. My next biggest concern is our kicking game. I'm satisfied with the incoming kicking talent, but they have to show they can actually get the job done. On the defensive side, I want to see a better pass rush. I'm hoping this comes with bigger roles from Paschal, Taylor, Boogie, Wright, plus the influence of Coach White. If we can get a real pass rush, everyone will be shocked how much better our secondary would suddenly look.

...Don't you keep up with those sort of things, I thought finances was one of your strong points, or is it something you just don't want to talk about?
My only problem with ULAA finances was a lack of transparency, not the amounts. As much as anything this condition was endorsed and supported by a president who had simply accumulated "too much power" in the last few years of his tenure. FWIW, I certainly hope the school institutes better "oversight policy" (to prevent such "takeovers") but maintains the independent nature of the foundation.

i started to post something similar ... that an injured SJ continued to be our best option concerns me . . .
That is a good way to put. SJ will always be one of my favorite players for his obvious toughness but I remain "confused and concerned" as why an injured SJ was considered by the staff as the best QB option. Anyway, I wish that kid the absolute best in the future.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
My only problem with ULAA finances was a lack of transparency, not the amounts. As much as anything this condition was endorsed and supported by a president who had simply accumulated "too much power" in the last few years of his tenure. FWIW, I certainly hope the school institutes better "oversight policy" (to prevent such "takeovers") but maintains the independent nature of the foundation.

That is a good way to put. SJ will always be one of my favorite players for his obvious toughness but I remain "confused and concerned" as why an injured SJ was considered by the staff as the best QB option. Anyway, I wish that kid the absolute best in the future.

Peace

So you are OK with the $500,000 bonus when the normal one is $50,000, the Yum deal, the $24,500,000 contract to BP when most real Universities wouldn't allow him on their campus AND there was NO bidding war, the $45,000,000 buyout for Slick Rick, (who else was going to give him that?), the shoe deal where jurich said the money was for the players but gave almost all of it to Slick Rick (except for the $100,000K of course, bummer that it leaked out, good work FBI, keep sleeping NCAA), coaches hiring three of their in-laws and out-laws on their staff, etc etc, giving your own son an almost million dollar job?

You really have to wonder how many other "special deals" never saw the light of day, the FBI does have some other important things to keep up with.

I didn't know you were that easy to get along with, UL fans are a funny breed I guess-------as long as they are winning.

So you are OK with (1) the $500,000 bonus when the normal one is $50,000, (2) the Yum deal, (3) the $24,500,000 contract to BP when most real Universities wouldn't allow him on their campus AND there was NO bidding war, (4) the $45,000,000 buyout for Slick Rick, (who else was going to give him that?), (5) the shoe deal where jurich said the money was for the players but gave almost all of it to Slick Rick (except for the $100,000K of course, bummer that it leaked out, good work FBI, keep sleeping NCAA), (6) coaches hiring three of their in-laws and out-laws on their staff, etc etc, (7) giving your own son an almost million dollar job?

You really have to wonder how many other "special deals" never saw the light of day, the FBI does have some other important things to keep up with.

I didn't know you were that easy to get along with, UL fans are a funny breed I guess-------as long as they are winning.
I doubt anyone else on this board cares about your list but since you asked me and I have nothing to do today....

(1) It's a bonus, probably too much but no such thing as a "normal" bonus. Maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with this.

(2) Not sure what you are talking about. With the new annual flat rate $2.4M/yr on top of the regular lease provisions that will make UofL's total rent obligations to the YUM! about $4.5M/year...about 4X what UK pays for Rupp.

(3) Not the best personal life but, as a coach, CBP was a "proven commodity". Here is list of 2017 NCAA coaches compensation. Check out #21 (and #22).

(4) I have not read ex-CRP's contract but it was pretty obvious he was "coach for life" until he decided to retire. If there is no intent to "buy someone out" a buyout number is pretty meaningless. And if there is "termination for cause" the buyout is invalidated.

(5) As I understand it CRP got a regular "bonus" from Adidas prior to the "new deal" that just went into effect this year. Under the new deal (and just about all new apparel deals) it is my understanding all of the I believe $16M/yr goes to the school/ULAA. That was done before CRP was out.

(6) Personally, I don't like that. Son-in-law Scott now has the "resume" for a full time assistant job at an FBS school but, IMO, the other 2 do not.

(7) ??? Scott makes the most of the 3, about $225K/yr.

IIRC you have brought these issues before. [winking]

Peace

I doubt anyone else on this board cares about your list but since you asked me and I have nothing to do today....

(1) It's a bonus, probably too much but no such thing as a "normal" bonus. Maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with this.

(2) Not sure what you are talking about. With the new annual flat rate $2.4M/yr on top of the regular lease provisions that will make UofL's total rent obligations to the YUM! about $4.5M/year...about 4X what UK pays for Rupp.

(3) Not the best personal life but, as a coach, CBP was a "proven commodity". Here is list of 2017 NCAA coaches compensation. Check out #21 (and #22).

(4) I have not read ex-CRP's contract but it was pretty obvious he was "coach for life" until he decided to retire. If there is no intent to "buy someone out" a buyout number is pretty meaningless. And if there is "termination for cause" the buyout is invalidated.

(5) As I understand it CRP got a regular "bonus" from Adidas prior to the "new deal" that just went into effect this year. Under the new deal (and just about all new apparel deals) it is my understanding all of the I believe $16M/yr goes to the school/ULAA. That was done before CRP was out.

(6) Personally, I don't like that. Son-in-law Scott now has the "resume" for a full time assistant job at an FBS school but, IMO, the other 2 do not.

(7) ??? Scott makes the most of the 3, about $225K/yr.

IIRC you have brought these issues before. [winking]

Peace

Not much time now, but basically you are saying you are fine with all of them? The ends justify the means?

I'm not sure how some of these things can just be written off, if the buyout didn't matter why is UL being sued now? And do you really think the settlement the lawyers make after hundreds of hours of fees won't run into the tens of millions what do you think it will be, that is my guess, who runs the courts, lawyers..

Just win, baby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT