ADVERTISEMENT

Is Goodwin good enough to start next season?

LOL his size and arm length scream tackle .

Only if he can keep the weight off and maintain lateral quickness. He had a weight issue until the last few years. Looks like he carries it mostly in his gut too instead of hips and legs.

I think he'll look like a brand new player after some time in s&c. The only question is how long he'll get

6’8 340
He's huge but we've seen over and over again you have to have the feet and agility to go with that or the size is of no help at all. Can sometimes be a hinderance for the QB to see passing lanes. But from what I hear this guy has all that so the combination of it all can be special.

LOL his size and arm length scream tackle .
True that. But even more than that, they scream left tackle and blind side protector. All the credible scouting reports project Goodwin as a LT. Literally, I haven't seen anyone in the industry project Goodwin as a RT or OG. For those who might say he could spend a year learning as a RT, LT and RT are different jobs that emphasize different skills and characteristics. That's why Darian Kinnard was moved back to RT as soon as Rosenthal arrived, and it's why Nik Hall might play RT but will never play LT.

LT- Rosenthal (if he returns)/Goodwin/Wohlabaugh
LG- Horsey/Buford/Young
C- Cox/Wilson/Buford
RG- Burton/Manning/Adams/Bingham
RT- Flax/Jones/Rodriguez/Hall

On the left side of the OL, a lineman is protecting a righthanded QB's blind side and also blocking at the second level on cutback runs. These jobs require athleticism and great feet. On the right side, lower body strength and drive blocking are highly valued. Most running schemes are "righthanded", meaning serious running offenses put it on the line in their smash mouth game to the right side of the OL. The center does a lot of blocking on LBs at the second level, so he must be able to run and adjust, and also make all the line calls.

Rosenthal, Goodwin, and Wohlabaugh are classic LTs with good feet, huge frames, and long arms. Buford has been a backup LT out of necessity, but is better suited for LG because he isn't long enough or big enough to beat out the aforementioned LTs. However, Buford is athletic and has good feet. Buford's best position might actually be C. Young has a lot of physical positives. I still feel Young will eventually break into the playing rotation somewhere, even if maybe not in 2022. Cox is a natural C, and was recruited originally for that job. Cox should do well there because he has intelligence, length, and mobility. It's time for Jager Burton to start. The kid has talent, and he has done a nice job in the gym. I think Manning is being brought in for quality depth, and needs to get himself into better physical shape. Manning was never a regular starter at Auburn, and will have his hands full with Burton .One of them will start. Flax, Jones, Rodriguez, Bingham, and Hall are massive maulers, tailor made for the right side. The winner of the RT competition will be the guy who masters his assignments and doesn't make mistakes. Flax is a better player than this board appreciates. He learned in Detroit, and was a four star recruit. Last spring, he made great strides and won the starting RT job outright before Rosenthal's summer arrival reshuffled the OL. Jones and Rodriguez are also capable drive blockers.

Very little baby fat? He has alot of it.

He is strong in the weight room but that means less on OL than anywhere. He's tall so he needs to learn leverage. I don't think he rs but it will surprise me if he starts at RT game 1. I'm not even totally convinced he's a tackle at all even though I'm sure that's what he intends to play
At 6'8" 340 lbs I can't possibly imagine what you consider a more appropriate position. Safety perhaps? or maybe turn him into a kicker?

Elated to get him. Anyone seen him play? Our lt is back so is Goodwin good enough to start at rt next season replacing DK or will he need some time? Is he strictly slated for lt. Maybe ready to start is a better term.

All but a very few are not strong enough. Not knowing anything about him I don't know the answer. But playing percentages I would say no.

At 6'8" 340 lbs I can't possibly imagine what you consider a more appropriate position. Safety perhaps? or maybe turn him into a kicker?

Guard. That's where most NFL projections are for kinnard and that's about his size. Kinnard is much more solid and way bigger through the legs as opposed to Goodwin who's mostly flabby belly fat.

If he sheds that belly fat, he will be phenomenal and a great fit at tackle.

He's huge but we've seen over and over again you have to have the feet and agility to go with that or the size is of no help at all. Can sometimes be a hinderance for the QB to see passing lanes. But from what I hear this guy has all that so the combination of it all can be special.
Of course a LT has to have some size but balance, quickness and lateral movement are more important than size. Of course there are exceptions but most huge guys like this kid end up at RT. Bama's LT this year is an exception at 6'7 and around 370.

Of course a LT has to have some size but balance, quickness and lateral movement are more important than size. Of course there are exceptions but most huge guys like this kid end up at RT. Bama's LT this year is an exception at 6'7 and around 370.
Again, every credible scouting report I have seen projects Kiyaunta Goodwin as a LT and an early Power 5 starter. You are missing the point when you say balance, quickness, and lateral movement are more important than size for a LT. Yes, those skills are prerequisites for a LT, but very long powerful arms and reach are also a prerequisite for a LT. Balance is achieved by having the capability for a wide stance. Not many players have all of those qualities. Not many players can play LT for a winning Power 5 team either. LT is one of the most specialized jobs on the football field. Coaches pray for top LTs. Goodwin is a LT. You acknowledged that you have not seen him.

Your thinking may have been influenced by Isaiah Wynn, a GA product. Yes, Isaiah Wynn is unusually short for a LT, but he also has unusually long arms and quick feet. Wynn has made a living as the Patriots' LT, but is not prototypical. LTs Evan Neal, Dare Rosenthal, Landon Young, Myron Cunningham, Austin Troxell, Darnell Wright, Ryan Hayes, AJ Arcuri, Joe Alt, George Moore, Orlando Brown, Donovan Smith, Alejandro Villenueva, Anthony Munoz, and Tony Boselli are not exceptions. All very long.

Then why aren't teams just putting sumo wrestlers at LT?

There are alot of big kids out there. The only ones that make left tackles are ones with lateral athleticism/foot quickness, and balance. Goodwin has that but does he have enough of it? If he's a hard worker he should be incredible because he'll shed some of that belly

Steve Wiltfong (@SWiltfong247) Tweeted:
Five-star OT Kiyaunta Goodwin with #Alabama OT Evan Neal on this weekend’s official to Tuscaloosa. https://t.co/2X5Zg3xuq1 https://t.co/yYrU4VeAGL

Here they are together

You had better believe he starts next year. This is most physically imposing lineman we've ever signed.

I have seen him play. Unfortunately he played at a 3A school in Southern Indiana, so it was difficult to tell in that setting, how he would fare against better competition. I’m sure he has been scrutinized in camp settings against high level competition. I will say three things: He totally dominated the players he went up against in HS. He is huge and can move very well for his size. Lastly, but important for an offensive lineman, he has a real nasty streak in him. He takes no prisoners.
Watching his hudl videos is hilarious. He'll chase his assignment all over the field and then pancake them. Kind of a "you can run but you can't hide" kinda thing.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I know Darian Kinnaird started most of his freshman year at RT. I can't remember if Landon Young started in 2016 or not. I know he played in 12 games his freshman year at LT, but I can't recall if he started some of those games.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Stoops was asked that question today and he said Goodwin has the ability to start but he has to develop, so it depends on how fast he develops and how hard he works, IOW it's up to him.

From memory I think J. Willis started as a freshman for Bama, and the two players are of similar measurables and athletic ability IMO

Kinnard started as a true freshmen I believe? If he didn’t he played a shit ton. I’m not sure what the final roster will look like next season, but I’d be shocked if Goodwin doesn’t get significant playing time from the very beginning

Started the last two games of the regular season at LT, and then the Citrus Bowl, after EJ Price kept acting up. His coming out was that Citrus Bowl. Kinnard also backed up Asafo-Adjei at RT during the season. Seemed like it took five years to build the depth to move away from having a "swing" backup OT.

Stoops was asked that question today and he said Goodwin has the ability to start but he has to develop, so it depends on how fast he develops and how hard he works, IOW it's up to him.

From memory I think J. Willis started as a freshman for Bama, and the two players are of similar measurables and athletic ability IMO
This.... If he is a "gym rat" as they call them, he will play a lot. Starting isn't important, especially if Rosenthal comes back. Good game reps and adjusting to the college speed will be crucial for taking over the following year.

Once Goodwin signs, I will give an opinion. Still waiting as we speak . . . .

Now I have an opinion. I have not watched any tape, but he is the highest rated O lineman to sign with ANY SEC team this year, yes, ANY SEC team. So yes, if he enrolls in Spring, and is really that good, then sure, he could start. Not saying he will be all conference, but may well be better than Flax and our other options.

Reactions: RunninRichie
After hearing Stoops describe him I wouldn't be surprised to see him either start or be in the rotation. If he is as quick and agile as Stoops says he is at that size who is going to play ahead of him? Lot of the scheme in this offense is OL that can move so if he can do that and being that big it is exactly the kind of OL you dream of.

I love me some jed wills, as a browns fan, but goodwin is a much larger human being. Good lord, I hope he can play like Jed. Not only would he start, he would be a three year top 5 pick.

Idk if he’d start given that he’s very inexperienced as far as reps but he’s a left Tackle all the way. He’s not playing guard lol.

Wonder how Rodriguez is doing? Seems kinda like a Kinnard type.
He definitely looks like the typical run game road grader under Gran's offense. I don't know how well he fits in this new scheme. His game reminds me of Dotson and he struggled to get on the field this year.

Idk if he’d start given that he’s very inexperienced as far as reps but he’s a left Tackle all the way. He’s not playing guard lol.

I guarantee he isn't playing guard either. He wasn't going anywhere that said they'd play him there. Probably got a virtual guarantee he'll be played at LT. I still think in our system Wagner had the higher ceiling at LT. At that position I'd much rather have an athlete I could bulk up than one that has to battle weight.

He definitely looks like the typical run game road grader under Gran's offense. I don't know how well he fits in this new scheme. His game reminds me of Dotson and he struggled to get on the field this year.

But once he did, I thought he was more effective than Cox even though I know Cox had some midseason accolades. Much of it had to do with coen adjusting to personnel as you mentioned

Reactions: seccats04
We have a very mobile QB, I say throw the kid out there at LT and learn on the job. 2022 3 of our first 4 at home against very inferior OOC competition. Actually not sure if anyone will have a super dangerous pass rush edge before we play Georgia game #11.

And I'm assuming Dare is gonzo, its why he came to be 1 & done.

But once he did, I thought he was more effective than Cox even though I know Cox had some midseason accolades. Much of it had to do with coen adjusting to personnel as you mentioned
There's probably not many OG's I would take over Dotson in the run game but he struggled some in pass protection over the years. Probably why he didn't start over Cox this year.

Like Fortner, Cox will spend most of his career at UK underrated. When he got hurt, he was having a strong season.

Like Fortner, Cox will spend most of his career at UK underrated. When he got hurt, he was having a strong season.

He was a midseason all American so I don't know he qualifies for underrated. Although I agree in general guards are always underappreciated in football. Same normally goes for the entire ol which is why I love that UK embraces that unit.

Not sure who we have backing up horsey at LG that can step up next year, but I think it would be great if we could get Dotson back to give us more options. I know Jager is there at guard too so maybe they want to slide him left. Or maybe look at Cox and Wilson at c with the other at another guard.

He was a midseason all American so I don't know he qualifies for underrated. Although I agree in general guards are always underappreciated in football. Same normally goes for the entire ol which is why I love that UK embraces that unit.

Not sure who we have backing up horsey at LG that can step up next year, but I think it would be great if we could get Dotson back to give us more options. I know Jager is there at guard too so maybe they want to slide him left. Or maybe look at Cox and Wilson at c with the other at another guard.
Horsey is back next year. Assuming Cox moves to center, we would need a new Rguard but this is why Jager Burton, the top pIayer in our 2021 class, was recruited and Tashaun Manning was taken as a transfer.

I’ve never understood questions like this at a time that is 9 months away

sorry man

if he does then he’s seemingly canton bound or we have absolutely horrible talent which I do not believe to be the case

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT