ADVERTISEMENT

Is Goodwin good enough to start next season?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Elated to get him. Anyone seen him play? Our lt is back so is Goodwin good enough to start at rt next season replacing DK or will he need some time? Is he strictly slated for lt. Maybe ready to start is a better term.

Last edited:
Imo hopefully not. He still carries it of baby fat. As with almost all ol, he needs at least a year in s&c.

Will be curious to see where he plays too. Curious if we sold him on early PT and/or playing lt

Hopefully Rosenthal comes back and we can work him in without throwing too much responsibility or full time snaps at him. He could probably be effective enough to start if we need him too, hopefully we won't need him to though.

Elevated to get him. Anyone seen him play? Our lt is back so is Goodwin good enough to start at rt next season replacing DK or will he need some time? Is he strictly slated for lt. Maybe ready to start is a better term.
Depends on whether Dare Rosenthal comes back, and depends on how quickly Goodwin learns the assignments. But Goodwin could certainly start next year if he takes care of his business and impresses Coach Wolford.

Those commenters who point out true freshmen OTs almost never start in the SEC are right. But there are exceptions, and Goodwin could be one of those. He is big enough, strong enough, and has gotten himself in pretty good shape. He will still have some conditioning priorities over the summer, but many of the main factors in Goodwin's case will probably be mental and instructional.

If Rosenthal returns, Goodwin will be competing with Flax. People should not take Flax for granted. Flax was a four star recruit and had a great spring. If Rosenthal doesn't come back, I might look for Flax and Goodwin to start if both do well between now and then. David Wohlabaugh will also play, and several other younger OTs are probably close to competing for some snaps. We also need to keep an eye on whether Deone Walker ends up on UK's DL or OL. I have been watching film of Walker, and he is very impressive.

LT- Rosenthal / Buford or Wohlabaugh
LG- Horsey / Adams
C- Cox / Wilson
RG- Manning or Burton
RT- Flax or Goodwin

This line looks very good. Shouldn't be much of a drop off.
I agree that looks very good. It is hard to imagine that there won’t be much of a drop off when we lose an AA right tackle and an all SEC 6th senior center. Hope you are right.

Elevated to get him. Anyone seen him play? Our lt is back so is Goodwin good enough to start at rt next season replacing DK or will he need some time? Is he strictly slated for lt. Maybe ready to start is a better term.
He would have to enroll in Jan ? Small school Ind competition? I hope he’s the real deal technic will be key no pressure for next fall and starting 1st game he’s got a lot of work ahead

Kinnard started as a true freshmen I believe? If he didn’t he played a shit ton. I’m not sure what the final roster will look like next season, but I’d be shocked if Goodwin doesn’t get significant playing time from the very beginning

LT- Rosenthal / Buford or Wohlabaugh
LG- Horsey / Adams
C- Cox / Wilson
RG- Manning or Burton
RT- Flax or Goodwin

This line looks very good. Shouldn't be much of a drop off.
Is John Young in the rotation somewhere?

Kinnard started as a true freshmen I believe? If he didn’t he played a shit ton. I’m not sure what the final roster will look like next season, but I’d be shocked if Goodwin doesn’t get significant playing time from the very beginning
Is John Young in the rotation somewhere?
Young is second string guard Adams was not listed anywhere on depth charts

Reactions: Nuke99m
Imo hopefully not. He still carries it of baby fat. As with almost all ol, he needs at least a year in s&c.

Will be curious to see where he plays too. Curious if we sold him on early PT and/or playing lt
I have seen his work out video he’s probably strong enough and he has very little baby fat spring and summer conditioning can get him physically ready

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Not sure he starts year 1. But, he is all but guaranteed to replace Kinnard at leading the team out of the locker room. You want the biggest, baddest looking SOB leading the team onto the field. And he definitely is that.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
His commitment article said he is an early enrollee. Getting him here in January goes a LONG way to him starting. Dont think Flax was that impressive this year. I think we'll have a better idea after seeing him at the ALL American bowl. If he impresses there he has a pretty solid chance of starting with a Spring and summer as well

If we lose Rosenthal....I thnk for sure he plays.

- I'd imagine Cox moves to C, Auburn transfer goes to guard and I hope we keep Horsey at guard (I don't see a good tackle in his builld).
- Then it boils down to Flax, Wolbaugh returning at tackles and then you for sure have Goodwin...with Buford and Josh Jones appear to be not quite physically there yet.

I think John Young is more of guard along with Jager Burton down the road with EJ Adams in the mix.

I have seen him play. Unfortunately he played at a 3A school in Southern Indiana, so it was difficult to tell in that setting, how he would fare against better competition. I’m sure he has been scrutinized in camp settings against high level competition. I will say three things: He totally dominated the players he went up against in HS. He is huge and can move very well for his size. Lastly, but important for an offensive lineman, he has a real nasty streak in him. He takes no prisoners.

I have seen his work out video he’s probably strong enough and he has very little baby fat spring and summer conditioning can get him physically ready

Very little baby fat? He has alot of it.

He is strong in the weight room but that means less on OL than anywhere. He's tall so he needs to learn leverage. I don't think he rs but it will surprise me if he starts at RT game 1. I'm not even totally convinced he's a tackle at all even though I'm sure that's what he intends to play

When he committed a while back I heard several times he was a guy you could plug and play day one from different guys in recruiting. That being said ideally he plays as a backup his first year but if Rosenthal leaves he will compete for a starting spot.

Depends on who comes back and if he actually gets enrolled for spring semester. I think he needs to put in a lot of work in the weight room and change his body composition. Jumping from high school to starting tackle in the SEC is a very big ask. If all the above happens and he takes coaching well, I could see him in the 2 deep at tackle.

Reactions: ghorn19
Very little baby fat? He has alot of it.

He is strong in the weight room but that means less on OL than anywhere. He's tall so he needs to learn leverage. I don't think he rs but it will surprise me if he starts at RT game 1. I'm not even totally convinced he's a tackle at all even though I'm sure that's what he intends to play
LOL his size and arm length scream tackle .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT