ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ferentz retiring after bowl game today?

Keep something in mind here. The biggest and most prominent program to hire a new coach this off season is TAM. They have more money and resources than anyone in the country. They actually called stoops first lol. Then they settled for the guy at Duke who has had one good season.

You people who are begging him to leave for Iowa better be careful what you wish for. This coaching search thing is pretty gnarly. We are heading into the new SEC. You wanna do that under a new regime? After the good off season additions we have already secured? You wanna scrap it and start anew?

Just saying. Look at the big picture.
Rumor has it that Stoops assistants wasn't willing to go with him to A&M and that was part of the hold up. Odd that assistants would think that UK would be a better job to move up than A&M.

Rumor has it that Stoops assistants wasn't willing to go with him to A&M and that was part of the hold up. Odd that assistants would think that UK would be a better job to move up than A&M.

It's not always about the job itself.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Keep something in mind here. The biggest and most prominent program to hire a new coach this off season is TAM. They have more money and resources than anyone in the country. They actually called stoops first lol. Then they settled for the guy at Duke who has had one good season.

You people who are begging him to leave for Iowa better be careful what you wish for. This coaching search thing is pretty gnarly. We are heading into the new SEC. You wanna do that under a new regime? After the good off season additions we have already secured? You wanna scrap it and start anew?

I do. And I bet others do too.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
You probably have it flipped. White is more pedigreed for the head job. Of course if stoops left tomorrow I’d imagine that Mitch would do what he supposedly did when TAM called. He’d try to secure white, coen and Vince. Keeping all 3 would be our best bet for continuity, but stoops would want them to leave with him. Keep in mind that you’re talking about keeping white who had the fans calling for his head all year.

Is anyone sure they want this more than the situation we currently have?
Whole new staff

I was at Kentucky during the Curry days so it’s taken decades to get over the PTSD of having him and thinking UK can get a good coach. Stoops has overcome many milestones and I appreciate a lot of what he has accomplished, however my support has been waning the last few years. I’m not calling for him to be fired, not that it would happen anyway, however if he left it wouldn’t bother me that much either. The transfer portal has significantly changed the landscape in what can be done at UK. I think they could get a good coach, and if it’s someone that could manage the transfer portal as well, would still be in good shape. My bigger fear is that Barnhart would be making the decision and I don’t have confidence that he would. He seems to have more PTSD about it than me.
Who is out there who is available is a big step up from Stoops. Don't say 9m makes alot of coaches available, because if current school is happy they won't let him walk. Look how many coaches UF has gone through since Urban, and everyone thought Mullen was the guy when hired.
who was out there when we hired Stoops in the first place? Stops wasn’t Stoops til we got him, I’m sure there a a bunch out there just like him, just need their chance too.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Neither program is winning jack crap anyways

I still believe that it is easier to replace White than Coen but ideally we divide Stoops salary between the two of them so that we have a chance to keep both

Also, no one is just happy with 6-6 or 7-5. You keep asking why we should be happy about it. No one is satisfied with those records. Literally no one has said that they are happy with that record

Here’s the thing, stoops has not raised the ceiling here at Kentucky. He’s raised the floor. The floor used to be 2 wins. Now it’s 6. That’s why he’s still here. That’s why he has done such a great job because Kentucky is a historic bottom feeder but now it’s not a bottom feeder.

You have to think realistically. If you think Kentucky would be better off with someone else then that person has to actually exist, be available, and be attainable. There’s a reason why you cannot name him. You can’t simply wish him into existence
You say you aren’t happy with the record yet that is what we will have for the near future. Stoops ain’t changing who he is and the schedule is getting tougher.

You are right about it though I can not name one single coach at any smaller school in the country that could come here and be mediocre, we have hired the best at that for sure.

Reactions: crestcat
You say you aren’t happy with the record yet that is what we will have for the near future. Stoops ain’t changing who he is and the schedule is getting tougher.

You are right about it though I can not name one single coach at any smaller school in the country that could come here and be mediocre, we have hired the best at that for sure.
You don’t know we will only win 6 or 7 in the near future. You may be right. But you act as if it’s a certainty. In the past 5 seasons we have had 2 10 win seasons. Who was the coach? So I have data to prove that stoops can win more than 7. Do you think he suddenly forgot how to coach?

I’m not a blind stoops homer who thinks he can do no wrong. He frustrates me as much as he frustrates you. But he gives us the best chance at success in the foreseeable future. I trust him to win more than I trust the un-named hypothetical replacement. Now is not the time for a rebuild.

• Love
Reactions: gojvc and The-Hack
I will tell you who I would like to have and I bet he isn’t on Mitch’s list. Chris Petersen who used to coach Boise St. he is announcing now. He was a great coach and would do well at UK.
Man that guy can coach and he can do it at a place with a bad recruiting base. Once upon a time he’d have been a home run hire here

No particular reason to think he's going to, but you never know. Despite the prevailing narrative on this board, it's not inevitable that Stoops is hired there. It's very possible that Phil Parker has the job if he wants it.
Stoops is their first choice if Ferentz resigns

Who is out there who is available is a big step up from Stoops. Don't say 9m makes alot of coaches available, because if current school is happy they won't let him walk. Look how many coaches UF has gone through since Urban, and everyone thought Mullen was the guy when hired.
The old "too afraid to get rid of a coach because there's not a slam dunk hire" mindset. No offense Grumpy but that rationale is why there are a lot of losers in this world.

Scared money don't make money.

Reactions: bigbluedon

Washington would beg to differ.

We are 7-6 the last 2 years, it looks like it will be the same for next year and beyond with the way stoops is coaching and the makeup of the conference. I would find it hard to believe that Stoops is just the best we can do like so many want us to believe.

22 was a fluke, Levis was hurt 2 games, both UK would likely have won with him. That answer is a cop out. There are quite a few who would take 9m a year, but who is a sure fire upgrade, who would UK target if CMS did decide to leave? It's easy to say fire coach X, but finding the upgrade is the big question. Just look around the SEC at teams who fired less successful coaches than CMS and are still firing coaches trying to find their guy. His teams play above their recruiting rankings every year. But if you think firing him without a clue who his replacement will be go for it i guess. ATM fired Jimbo and was turned down by multiple coaches and settled on Duke's coach. One of Jimbo's former assistants, do you believe he is an upgrade over Jimbo?

I am not huge on stoops at all. I’m a “fire’m” guy through and through, especially when it comes to UK sports. When I saw the shit storm as was about to happen to UK football when he was leaving it changed my mind. Stoops is fine right now and yes I think UK can do much better, but if Florida is hiring SunBelt coaches and A&M is hiring Duke coaches with all of those resources, Kentucky should just hold still until better times surface. Sumrall is the best option for UK as it stands today, so there’s no reason not to go 3 more years with Stoops to maintain stability, then hope Sumrall is the real deal (I think he is). If so, Kentucky will have shown more stability )which builds culture) than the vast majority of SEC teams and Sumrall would never leave. He’s a UK guy, anyone that knows him will tell you that.

That’s what we need. A culture. And this is how you do it.

You absolutely correct, and hiring a coordinator isn't a bad route. But it is also a gamble. When Pruitt was the DC at UGA I thought he would be a good head coach. I didn't realize how bad his social skills were.

I just think Stoops does a good job, his teams play hard and physical and play over their ranking. I think he is top 20 in the country, and yes I know he is in top 10 with salary. If I were a UK fan I would have 2 complaints, needs to upgrade recruiting if you want to move up the ladder and his players do a little less posturing.

I’m sorry you don’t wanna move to Iowa Mrs. Stoops but I promise it’ll all work out for you and your family!

You don’t know we will only win 6 or 7 in the near future. You may be right. But you act as if it’s a certainty. In the past 5 seasons we have had 2 10 win seasons. Who was the coach? So I have data to prove that stoops can win more than 7. Do you think he suddenly forgot how to coach?

I’m not a blind stoops homer who thinks he can do no wrong. He frustrates me as much as he frustrates you. But he gives us the best chance at success in the foreseeable future. I trust him to win more than I trust the un-named hypothetical replacement. Now is not the time for a rebuild.

It'd actually 2 in the past 6 seasons and 1 in the last 5.

That was also pre NIL era and with divisions and a less challenging overall annual sec schedule. I'll be super impressed if he does it again.

I wonder if the Iowa job is one that would bring Bob Stoops out of retirement for a while?

22 was a fluke, Levis was hurt 2 games, both UK would likely have won with him. That answer is a cop out. There are quite a few who would take 9m a year, but who is a sure fire upgrade, who would UK target if CMS did decide to leave? It's easy to say fire coach X, but finding the upgrade is the big question. Just look around the SEC at teams who fired less successful coaches than CMS and are still firing coaches trying to find their guy. His teams play above their recruiting rankings every year. But if you think firing him without a clue who his replacement will be go for it i guess. ATM fired Jimbo and was turned down by multiple coaches and settled on Duke's coach. One of Jimbo's former assistants, do you believe he is an upgrade over Jimbo?
Easy for you to sit and preach as your team is the best in the country for 3 years and have no weaknesses. All of our opponents want us to keep Stoops and you are no different. You have been posting here a long time Grumpy and have always been respectful, but please don’t get a holier than thou attitude and tell us why we ought to be thankful for Stoops. He has been here 11 or 12 years and we have seen the best of him. Time for a change.

Reactions: Bill Teaby
Easy for you to sit and preach as your team is the best in the country for 3 years and have no weaknesses. All of our opponents want us to keep Stoops and you are no different. You have been posting here a long time Grumpy and have always been respectful, but please don’t get a holier than thou attitude and tell us why we ought to be thankful for Stoops. He has been here 11 or 12 years and we have seen the best of him. Time for a change.
He’s right. It’s just hard to hear

It'd actually 2 in the past 6 seasons and 1 in the last 5.

That was also pre NIL era and with divisions and a less challenging overall annual sec schedule. I'll be super impressed if he does it again.
I’ll be super impressed if anyone does it again at Kentucky. I was super impressed the first two times when stoops did it.

I`m going to say this once more. I`m in my 60`s and have seen a lot of UK football over the years. Since my existence, we`ve had 1 coach with a winning record and he happens to be our current coach and he started off with back-to-back 2-win seasons. We`ve had 4 double digit wins in a season 4 times, in our history and Stoops has 2 of them. One of those past 11-win seasons caused us to go on probation. We play in the SEC where a 3-loss team can still be a top 25 team, where 8 teams can beat anyone on a given Saturday. Also, I don't play the Stoops runs the offensive game either, I believe he did, but promised Coen he would have full run on the offense when he brought him back. Coen just needs the players to run it.
Now am I happy with the way we lost to Clemson? No, we should have never changed our defense, keep doing what`s working. I truly believe we`ll see an offense that will average around 31 points per game next year, Coen is bringing players in through the portal. I`m I happy with the offensive line play? No, but I`ve said this many times, it takes around 3 years for a high school player to be a good college offensive lineman. Next season Burton, Christman, Ray and Rodriguez will be juniors to go along with Cox, Ford and the other Cox. I still believe Kennum, Wood and Ramsey are a year away from being a consistent contributor.
When fans cry I want another coach, be careful what you ask for. One more thing, I truly believe we go 8-4 next year, so we`ll see.

He is right. I think there are 2 types of people. Some are primarily governed in opinions and actions by logic and reasoning, others are primarily guided by emotions. You see this all the time on boards, especially RR. Those wanting our coaches gone are governed by emotions.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I don't think there is any chance Stoops ends up at Iowa. They would have to at least match his current salary and I cant see them offering him 9 mil/year based on the results he has produced.

No one is preaching, just stating an opinion. My personal opinion is I hope he moves out of conference, the 2 years we ended up number 1 UK was the most physical and closest games we had.

Maybe he is on the decline, age isn't selective, but if you don't think he has been good for the program you have to be pretty young. I realize people are not happy with his offense, but every gameplan has been geared to give UK the best chance to win. In the past UK has not had the talent to get into scoring contest. Leary was suppose to be the remedy for that, but for whatever reason he wasn't as productive as he was in ACC. Plans had to change, and that is why the offense ran at a snail's pace.

I am not saying UK should be happy with 7 wins, but AU and UF who both fired coaches who were winning more are now hoping for 7 wins. Both programs were turned down by multiple coaches until they found someone who would take it.

But UK administration needs to do what they feel is best for the program. I don't care if UK keeps or let's CMS go, I just hate seeing a coach get blamed when they put a player in position to make the play and player doesn't make it.

It's always bizarre to me that people think we can do so much better as a program. We are set to win 6-10 games a year in the toughest conference in the nation and probably the toughest in the history of cfb.

The UK head coach not only has to navigate that, but also dealing with the basketball program eating up resources, an AD who over prioritizes non revenue sports, a paltry nil base, and specific geographic recruiting challenges.

I'm certainly not opposed to hiring someone that would be an upgrade but 1) other than eventually maybe summrall, I don't know who that person is and 2) not getting that hire right would set back the program to the stone ages

He is right. I think there are 2 types of people. Some are primarily governed in opinions and actions by logic and reasoning, others are primarily guided by emotions. You see this all the time on boards, especially RR. Those wanting our coaches gone are governed by emotions.
I’ve often said it’s my guilty please to challenge overly emotional people. I admire their spirit though. Sometimes you just have to come to terms with reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT