ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal still not a good in game coach?

Well truth be told, the team struggled way more than they should have against the 1-3-1.
Truth be told he has taken yet another youngest team in America with all new guys laying together except PJ and Nick with Nick not seeing many mins. and he has them on point after such a bad start. The corner was turned and most of us knew it and it's because of Cal and getting this young new group to buy in and play together.

Well truth be told, we dominated them after the 1st two minutes of the game

Of course we did but what does that have to do with anything? The OP asked a question not expecting an answer but I gave him one. Cal did not attack the 1-3-1 correctly, in fact it was very poorly done and with no adjustments. Very surprised UofL came out of it. Overall a great game though. Two complaints was the 1-3-1 attack and PJ not seeing the ball on the block more than he did.
Very pleasantly surprised with the team though considering where we were just two weeks ago. Still more room for improvement which leaves our ceiling as high as we all thought it could be.

part.gif

Reactions: Newcattitudes
Dude.

It took me 10 years to come around to the idea that Calipari isn't a good in-game coach. I won't change my mind after winning 2 games

We won big games because we played a good game from start to finish. We didn't win because of some insane strategy adjustment. We didn't get easy points off our inbounds plays.

Most of Cal's greatness is done before game day. Getting the players to UK is a huge part of what has made Cal as good as he is. Coaching them up to play a certain style of game.

But in-game, I don't know the last time I thought holy crap, Cal really changed it up and outcoached someone.

Nope, a HOF coach that still is as good as he ever was. If you can't see that, then you're the problem, not Cal.
Yeah, I hear ya. He's won one National Championship in 10-years with heavily-laden NBA caliper teams every year, except for a couple, so I'm the problem, huh? So, why does Duke & Carolina continue to win National titles and we don't? The only reason we won in '12 was because we had a beast of nature called Anthony Davis and that's the only reason we won that National title that year. Facts are facts.

Reactions: Jesse82
Well truth be told, the team struggled way more than they should have against the 1-3-1.

Why? We have a true HS senior playing PG and it bothered him a bit. No problem, just as he has improved from the Bahamas, he will continue to improve with things that he doesn’t often see much of the rest of the season.

Yeah, I hear ya. He's won one National Championship in 10-years with heavily-laden NBA caliper teams every year, except for a couple, so I'm the problem, huh? So, why does Duke & Carolina continue to win National titles and we don't? The only reason we won in '12 was because we had a beast of nature called Anthony Davis and that's the only reason we won that National title that year. Facts are facts.

You are revealing yourself to be a problem, yes.

Coach Cal's adjustments/changes with Hagans is the BIG difference. Very similar to what he did with Andrew Harrison at the end of the 2014 season. Quade Green transferring out has also helped Hagans settle in. Coach Cal's adjustments with Hagans is so big that this team can play with Duke now and would beat Seton Hall by 15-20 if they played now. No doubt that's how big it is.

So watch another team, nobody is holding a gun to your head to stay here.

I thought we handled it good. Outside of the time Keldon just threw it up, we got great looks but couldn’t knock them down. 2nd trip down he got us into a 2-1-2 against it. We missed some shots so he got Herro back in. He knocks one down, we score a few times and UL had to go back man. Not bad at all considering we probably haven’t done anything more than token practice against that specific type of zone.

And there it is......that is what I expected.
First of all, this is his 10th year and it ain't over yet.
The only year I blame Cal is the '15 team. It happens. UNLV lost with an undefeated record, Georgetown lost to Nova, Houston lost to NC State....etc.
If you think Cal can't coach you are just a hater and possibly not a UK fan.

sludge-pumper.jpg

Wrong. Missed wide open jump shots.

I love that Cal haters are taking this bait.

Lol. Sorry but we missed maybe one open shot in 8 possessions and Herro made one. You clearly don’t know squat about the game and just like to stir the pot.

And for the record, I’ve wanted cal for our coach since around 2001 and wouldn’t trade him for anyone. Doesn’t mean he is beyond reproach though.

You guys crack me up. Cats played pretty well today, but we still need improvement and we need a coach who can get us there and not falter in the big games. Sorry if any are offended, but I just don't wear the Blue shades. I tell it as I see it. Did any of you ever actually play any basketball in your whole life?

Dude.

It took me 10 years to come around to the idea that Calipari isn't a good in-game coach. I won't change my mind after winning 2 games

We won big games because we played a good game from start to finish. We didn't win because of some insane strategy adjustment. We didn't get easy points off our inbounds plays.

Most of Cal's greatness is done before game day. Getting the players to UK is a huge part of what has made Cal as good as he is. Coaching them up to play a certain style of game.

But in-game, I don't know the last time I thought holy crap, Cal really changed it up and outcoached someone.

unless you are close enough to hear what adjustments he is telling his players to make, then i do not see how you can honestly say either of those things

if you want to be 100% honest you do not know, it is just your opinion, which is fine

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT