ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal intentionally trying to sink the program to buy an island?

Buy the island - live on it alone in your failure. NO ONE believes you are a good coach - NO ONE.

Decent person? Wash feet? Go to mass (and make sure you tell everyone you do)? Raise (other people's) money for disasters? Show up at the NBA draft? Talk when minor success? Help "the kids and their families"? Sure - kudos

Coach well? results? responsibility? reality? accountability? respected? doing what should be your job at UK (winning - esp, in March per himself)? NO...no no.

Resting on distant past results? living in denial? setting records and creating NCAA tournament legends (for opposing teams and programs)? Out of touch? Tone deaf? thinking he is WAY better than results indicate? YES... yes yes.

Hate to say this, but we had a poster here a while back (won’t mention name as I grew to be so annoyed with him I couldn’t stand it) who stated repeatedly that Cal would burn this program to the ground before he left. He was very specific and adamant about how it would happen, how long it would fester, and how completely disastrous it would be. Looks like he was correct.

I don't think he's intentionally ruining anything. I truly believe he wants to win. But I think he's so damn stubborn that he only wants to do it his way. And his way isn't working.
He's like Costner in the Movie Tin Cup and the reason that's a movie and not real life-nobody would celebrate that persistence, they'd call him a F***ing MORON and mock him to his face.

He tried to flex on the fans after Auburn win, after the Tennessee win, then was completely humiliated after SEC Tournament but put on his ACT-and it's a damn ACT that he was confident. They played terrified from jump--but that is what happens when you play 2 guys who aren't 2 of your best 5. So spotting a team hope--that game started off in a manner that UK could've been up 10+ pts and relaxed but he had to make his point/people happy. Then he sounded like a clueless moron after the game. Spewing nonsense to the point he contradicted himself and talked of "helping families".......as if he assumes all the fanbase is a bunch of rich people who just sit in mansions and go to games because they are extremely wealthy. What an ass****

Obama must have mentioned that to him in the Podcast I refused to listen to and let's be honest-he's tried to use Bill Clinton to help him get a recruit (Mo Bamba) and now had Obama on before the NCAA's and that resulted in same thing. He's just doesn't understand what he's here to do and that is win championships, not use the platform of his celebrity to rub elbows for his personal joy.

I don't think he's intentionally ruining anything. I truly believe he wants to win. But I think he's so damn stubborn that he only wants to do it his way. And his way isn't working.
He wants to get more NBA draft picks to brag about first and foremost. He wins just enough games against just enough top teams to allow his draft prospects to shine, but fails to realize that them losing to future restaurant managers and truck drivers (no offense to those people) makes them look even worse than winning against top teams.

Cal probably deep down wants to win, but has forgotten how to do it. He used to be the first coach each year to 30 wins - one of the reasons we hired him was just how much he won.

He wants to get more NBA draft picks to brag about first and foremost. He wins just enough games against just enough top teams to allow his draft prospects to shine, but fails to realize that them losing to future restaurant managers and truck drivers (no offense to those people) makes them look even worse than winning against top teams.

Cal probably deep down wants to win, but has forgotten how to do it. He used to be the first coach each year to 30 wins - one of the reasons we hired him was just how much he won.
The biggest problem is Cal's aligning with NBA type of thinking. Winning doesn't mean jack **** to majority of the players in the NBA because you don't need to succeed or contend to make life changing $. You just need to get there ASAP, have analytic nerds and media morons talk about your potential and "Drip" and you stay around long enough that you are set for life. I appreciate the business sense of the young men and those who advise them but I find I don't watch much basketball overall anymore due to this business plan. When winning is pushed aside for personal gain...it's never going to be a great product. Don't blame the players, but the leadership of the league with Adam Silver is Rob Manfred-esque--and the coverage of the sport trying way too hard to be "pioneering" is embarrassing.

There is absolutely no way he prepared the UK team for Oakland’s zone.🤦‍♀️
That's just wrong. He completely changed the approach to offense. Since when did we feed the post all year? Rob and Reed had what one shot each in the first half?

The offense approach was completely different from what we ran all year. That only happens if you're coached to and game planned around it.

So it's disingenuous to say he didn't prep the team.

Now, with that said, absolutely boneheaded approach. You can't completely change the offense with a bunch of freshmen. You can't come up with a game plan that relies on Tre and Ugo to be the primary scoring threats. You can't come up with a game plan that sees two of your best scorers not get any looks for a whole half.

If it were me I would have overloaded one side of the zone and ran out shooters off screens for 3s like Gohlke shot. I bet we go better than a 3/17 start from 3 if we actually had the right guys shooting em.

He did game plan, it didn't work, in my estimation it was an approach that put pressure on our non-scorers to step up and put our scorers on the back seat and they were never able to get rolling.

He hasn’t forgot how to do anything, he has a salary that is paid no matter the results so if you still get paid to not work and put in the time why do it. Are the results KY standards hell no but they seem to be good enough to keep him off the administrations radar for now

Reactions: NociHTTP
Napoleon was exiled to an island (twice). Cal needs to be exiled now
ud3YTkX.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
He gets paid way too much to not try other things from what has not been working for years

I thought I heard one of the KSR boys say they overheard Cal tell his wife if they fire me we can buy the island? Conspiracy theory or bone chilling reality who can tell these days.
Maybe that's Cal's strategy ... get fired, take the buyout money and retire ... on some private island. LOL.

There is absolutely no way he prepared the UK team for Oakland’s zone.🤦‍♀️
What's really bad is that it wasn't even a hybrid zone or mixing it up with man to man. At one point it was the clearest displayed zone you could get, and we just STOOD THERE. I don't even remember Cal telling something like "drive the ball!". What in carnation does Cal actually DO in practice?

EDIT: it was Syracuse Zone clear

I don't understand how you can honestly believe he still "wants" to win and believe it 100%. I don't believe ANYTHING he says at this point. Nothing he does suggests to me he's serious about running a "winning" program. You can't go from the type of success he's always known to this shit show without corrupt intent.

Reactions: cathouse
I had a friend who doesn’t really like sports message me last night with “Are your boys on the take? They look like they’re throwing this game.”

That's just wrong. He completely changed the approach to offense. Since when did we feed the post all year? Rob and Reed had what one shot each in the first half?

The offense approach was completely different from what we ran all year. That only happens if you're coached to and game planned around it.

So it's disingenuous to say he didn't prep the team.

Now, with that said, absolutely boneheaded approach. You can't completely change the offense with a bunch of freshmen. You can't come up with a game plan that relies on Tre and Ugo to be the primary scoring threats. You can't come up with a game plan that sees two of your best scorers not get any looks for a whole half.

If it were me I would have overloaded one side of the zone and ran out shooters off screens for 3s like Gohlke shot. I bet we go better than a 3/17 start from 3 if we actually had the right guys shooting em.

He did game plan, it didn't work, in my estimation it was an approach that put pressure on our non-scorers to step up and put our scorers on the back seat and they were never able to get rolling.
Bingo.
Forcing the ball into the middle WAS Cal's game plan against the zone. No player movement. No screens for shooters. Hell, no shots for our shooters the entire first half. Cal Ball. Throw it inside and let the bigs score over their smaller team.
Dumb@$$.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
I mean who even says that before a game? It just shows his mindset. Ridiculous.

I get that some people think he gave that "what's the worst thing that can happen?" line to take the pressure off the team, but it was a terrible strategy. That message can also be interpreted as "who cares". And that's exactly what it looked like.

I don't understand how you can honestly believe he still "wants" to win and believe it 100%. I don't believe ANYTHING he says at this point. Nothing he does suggests to me he's serious about running a "winning" program. You can't go from the type of success he's always known to this shit show without corrupt intent.
I just don't believe that any coach at that level does not want to win. His issue is that he only wants rto win one way...his way. It's like Bobby Knight. Bobby could not transition his style that no longer worked and would not let anyone else tell him how to coach, so he went down in a ball of flames doing it his way. It doesn't mean he didn't want to win, it just meant that he wasn't changing to win more. That's where Cal is imo. He still want to win, but only if he can do it his way.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
I’m of the belief he’s been doing it on purpose for quite some time now. You can check the post history lol

It’s quite literally the only thing that makes any sense

Your thesis that is stated in the title to your post is probably correct, OP !
That would be completely in character for CCC !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT