ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal about to get Cunningham and Brown to commit and...

It would definitely be a good class. I'll still put my money on 2013 as the best class until that happens:

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee
Yeah but that class ended up not being what it was hyped too. Honestly in reality ( which is what matters) I would put this class 3rd or 4th in terms of his classes .

IMO If we add Jackson , Cunningham , Banchero and Askew or Brown to what we have this has to be considered the best class in recruiting history not just UK . Now will it be that in reality who knows.

Yeah but that class ended up not being what it was hyped too. Honestly in reality ( which is what matters) I would put this class 3rd or 4th in terms of his classes .

IMO If we add Jackson , Cunningham , Banchero and Askew or Brown to what we have this has to be considered the best class in recruiting history not just UK . Now will it be that in reality who knows.
We have no idea if the 2020 class is going to be what it is hyped up to be. That 2013 class, on paper (which is all you can compare to) with 5 guys in the top 11 is the greatest of all time since they have been doing rankings.

Yeah, they had growing pains but good god man, they went to the championship.

Yeah, they had growing pains but good god man, they went to the championship.

Right. We can say whatever we want about the struggles to get there, but they went to the championship game starting 5 freshman and then the group that returned (+ a good class obviously) followed it up with a nearly historic season and another final four. Pretty damn good.

Those 3 ranked #2 #9 and Paolo would probably be #7-8 in the 2020 class to go with #4 Clarke and Boston around #17 would maybe be better. I sure wish we could get Kuminga but some of the recruiting guys don't feel as strong about him.

It would definitely be a good class. I'll still put my money on 2013 as the best class until that happens:

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

The 2013 class (not just UK) may go down as one of the more overrated classes in history.

You had Canadian Jordan (Wiggins) and “the best prospect since LeBron” Jabari Parker according to Sports Illustrated.

Randle was better than both those guys that season. And in my opinion, is the best pro out of the 3.

The 2013 class (not just UK) may go down as one of the more overrated classes in history.

You had Canadian Jordan (Wiggins) and “the best prospect since LeBron” Jabari Parker according to Sports Illustrated.

Randle was better than both those guys that season. And in my opinion, is the best pro out of the 3.
The funny thing about that class is, the 2 best guys now were ranked 25th (Joel Embiid) and 44th (Zach LaVine)

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee
That class was much better on paper than on the court. They had great team success tho so I guess that's what matters most.

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

IMO there’s no way that group would be as good if we do get Cade, Brown and Paolo to go with the other 4 Cal’s already got in the fold!

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

Highly ranked 2013 guys here, but some were overrated as far as NBA..Ill take the 20 class
Cade #2
Paolo #2 (21) For now
Clarke #4
Askew #7 (21)For now
Brown #7
Boston #17

Reactions: Ky grandpa

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee
You have to look at it in hindsight though, Randle is pretty much the only NBA player on that list. The rest of them are all basically out of the league.

You’re going by the numbers next to their names, I’d be willing to bet Cunningham and Clarke make multiple All-Star teams in the NBA.

You have to look at it in hindsight though, Randle is pretty much the only NBA player on that list. The rest of them are all basically out of the league.

You’re going by the numbers next to their names, I’d be willing to bet Cunningham and Clarke make multiple All-Star teams in the NBA.
Of course we have to go by high school rankings. You have no clue what this upcoming class will do on the court. The only way you can compare right now is around rankings.

Amen. I've always thought Randle was better than those two. Never understood the hype, especially Parker.

My standard would be more based in their collegiate results, as some have already eluded to in this thread. That 2013-14 team played in the title game, and this class also was part of the team that won 38 straight games. That's pretty darn impressive.

High school rankings are rarely going to spell out who's ultimately going to be a better pro.

The funny thing about that class is, the 2 best guys now were ranked 25th (Joel Embiid) and 44th (Zach LaVine)
I think that's close, although Aaron Gordon is likely ahead of Lavine. It is interesting to go back and look at that class and remember how everyone thought that was the strongest class since the 2007 class.

I wanted to check and see how NBA folks are viewing the 2013 class. So I checked all of the top-100 lists...

Embiid - 7 (CBS), 8 (ESPN), and 7 (SI)
Gordon - 54 (CBS) 45 (ESPN) and 60 (CI)
Lavine - 77 (CBS) 55 (ESPN) and 90 (SI)
Randle - 85 (CBS) 92 (ESPN) and 79 (SI)
Wiggins - NR (CBS) NR (ESPN) and 100 (SI)

Its comical to see people make that statement about the 2013 class being better on paper than it was on the court as if the exact same thing isn’t possible for a class we haven’t seen play yet.
At what point did I say or imply that wasnt possible for this class too?

Reactions: FFWhite

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

But that class ended up not living up to anything outside of Randle. The Harrisons were 2 year players and while I appreciate what they did, they were not top 10 players. Dakari Johnson never did anything worthwhile to be a top 10 player himself. James Young was pretty good and Marcus Lee was Nick Richard's before Nick Richard's. Everyone but Randle wouldn't be a top 20 player in the 2020 class with Lee and Dakari probably being 4 stars.

Exactly spot on. I could also see Boston having a really long NBA career because the kid has a game that will score in bunches in the league.

At what point did I say or imply that wasnt possible for this class too?

I suppose you didn’t. But when that gets brought up in a thread about “what could be Cal’s best class” for comparisons sake, it’s worth mentioning that it could be true for any subsequent class as well. We seem to hype up every incoming class as if them not living up to the hype is an impossibility.

But that class ended up not living up to anything outside of Randle. The Harrisons were 2 year players and while I appreciate what they did, they were not top 10 players. Dakari Johnson never did anything worthwhile to be a top 10 player himself. James Young was pretty good and Marcus Lee was Nick Richard's before Nick Richard's. Everyone but Randle wouldn't be a top 20 player in the 2020 class with Lee and Dakari probably being 4 stars.
And we have no clue if the 2020 class will live yup to their rankings. It's all speculation at this point.

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

A few of those guys were overrated

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Its comical to see people make that statement about the 2013 class being better on paper than it was on the court as if the exact same thing isn’t possible for a class we haven’t seen play yet.

Exactly, if we are going to base it on living up to expectations let's end the conversation until April 2021.

Reactions: bthaunert

#2 Julius Randle
#5 Andrew Harrison
#7 Aaron Harrison
#9 Dakari Johnson
#11 James Young
#19 Marcus Lee

This would be better

Cade 1/2
Clarke 4
Banchero will be top7
Brown 8
Askew top 10 maybe 15range
Bj Boston 11

Reactions: Col. Angus

Don't think it's fair to say that class isn't as highly regarded after the fact. On paper, that is an unbelievable, historically good haul. And, they made the national championship game - regardless of the regular season, they put it together when it mattered most.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT