ADVERTISEMENT

In the last 2 final fours only one team started any freshmen

None of those teams had the Fab Five either.
This is easily one of the top 5 recruiting classes at least by the numbers of all time.
Some of you boys are going to be shocked at how good they are and how good UK will be with them.
Basically 5 of the top 10 players in the country if Reed wasnt rated so low due to being a white Ky boy and son of a UK legend going to UK.
Jealousy is real.

Good Lord, you guys. The past how many years, we've had a 'top 5' (or higher) recruiting class with 'lottery picks' and 'NBA talent' galore. Yet, midway thru December we'll start to realize that these guys are athletically gifted but have very few basic basketball fundamentals: don't shoot well, can't play defense, don't know how to play/attack a zone defense, no clue on in-bounds plays, mediocre FT shooting, don't have a world class handle, etc. I'll believe this year's team is a FF team when I see them playing in a FF. Coach Cal will do what he's been doing for several years now (as little coaching as possible) and we'll hear 'we're young', 'trust the process' and, because we're once again lacking in depth, we'll have the injury bug bite us late and bow out in the first weekend. Until I see something different, I'm going to expect the exact same type of team and results as we've seen in the past few years. A lot of potential that stays one year and moves on so we can rinse and repeat.

I know it's not finalized yet but we've got, what, 7 scholarship players on the roster with perhaps 1 (maybe 2) players who would be termed 'shooters' and we all know how successful Cal has been lately with the few and far between shooters on the team. Teams that will be gunning for the FF will have Jrs and Srs filling up most of the 2-deep. They'll have multiple shooters and they'll be coached well. Does that sound like UK the past 5+ years?

HH - I cannot imagine how you ALWAYS see UK as the best in the country with the best coach when reality is far different these past few years. Whatever it is you're smoking, please let the rest of us know.

Good Lord, you guys. The past how many years, we've had a 'top 5' (or higher) recruiting class with 'lottery picks' and 'NBA talent' galore. Yet, midway thru December we'll start to realize that these guys are athletically gifted but have very few basic basketball fundamentals: don't shoot well, can't play defense, don't know how to play/attack a zone defense, no clue on in-bounds plays, mediocre FT shooting, don't have a world class handle, etc. I'll believe this year's team is a FF team when I see them playing in a FF. Coach Cal will do what he's been doing for several years now (as little coaching as possible) and we'll hear 'we're young', 'trust the process' and, because we're once again lacking in depth, we'll have the injury bug bite us late and bow out in the first weekend. Until I see something different, I'm going to expect the exact same type of team and results as we've seen in the past few years. A lot of potential that stays one year and moves on so we can rinse and repeat.

I know it's not finalized yet but we've got, what, 7 scholarship players on the roster with perhaps 1 (maybe 2) players who would be termed 'shooters' and we all know how successful Cal has been lately with the few and far between shooters on the team. Teams that will be gunning for the FF will have Jrs and Srs filling up most of the 2-deep. They'll have multiple shooters and they'll be coached well. Does that sound like UK the past 5+ years?

HH - I cannot imagine how you ALWAYS see UK as the best in the country with the best coach when reality is far different these past few years. Whatever it is you're smoking, please let the rest of us know.
I question HH sometimes

Reality is that we were a 2 seed last season.

Reality kicks the Cal hate made up stats to the curb yet again.

As for freshmen in the FF, we change that next season. If it's even true that none played? Season ends for me when UK is done. I'm not a fan of other schools.

In this new era of NIL money and the transfer portal, complaining about too many freshmen one and dones suddenly seems kinda outdated. The sport has far more problematic issues to be concerned about now.

Now folks are bitching about too many old guys playing for their 4th or 5th different team.

In this new era of NIL money and the transfer portal, complaining about too many freshmen one and dones suddenly seems kinda outdated. The sport has far more problematic issues to be concerned about now.

Now folks are bitching about too many old guys playing for their 4th or 5th different team.
Most coaches realize that trying to build a winner team mostly on freshmen is out dated. JMO.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions before the season starts. Love it.

At present it is correct to jump to conclusions than fantasize about a hope of great success. The best prediction of future outcome is historical outcomes.

A team comprised of Freshman just out of high school will have a number of challenges. Plus, physically they will struggle against senior and graduate transfer defenders. They have dominated against other high school players only.

Unless Oscar and Reeves return its likely to be another "we're young" and "you won't want to face them at the end of the season" but we will be bounced before getting to a Final Four.

At present it is correct to jump to conclusions than fantasize about a hope of great success. The best prediction of future outcome is historical outcomes.

A team comprised of Freshman just out of high school will have a number of challenges. Plus, physically they will struggle against senior and graduate transfer defenders. They have dominated against other high school players only.

Unless Oscar and Reeves return its likely to be another "we're young" and "you won't want to face them at the end of the season" but we will be bounced before getting to a Final Four.
I think it would be a huge mistake to put too much pressure on these young players. This idea that they have to make it to the Final Four in order for the season to be a success is not fair to them.

None of those teams had the Fab Five either.
This is easily one of the top 5 recruiting classes at least by the numbers of all time.
Some of you boys are going to be shocked at how good they are and how good UK will be with them.
Basically 5 of the top 10 players in the country if Reed wasnt rated so low due to being a white Ky boy and son of a UK legend going to UK.
Jealousy is real.
you are right i will be shocked if we are a legit top 10 team next year

Reactions: BlueSince92
The bad thing is almost 99% of the people on here know how it is going to end with only freshmen leading us.

The UK dominantly led freshmen teams have done well under Cal. It's been the transfer Frankenstein teams that have really underachieved.

It's hard to win the national title in a single elimination tournament in this day and age. Hell, 4 titles the last 65 years shows its been hard for UK way before the current regime arrived. Thank God for 96 to 98 years at least.

It’s not about what's wrong with cbb, it's about what it takes to win a title and a team full of freshmen will be at a huge disadvantage every time they step on a court to play a team built with veterans.

Some of these veteran teams have 25 and 26 year olds on them that are more physically developed.

Cal builds rosters for the NBA draft, he’s hoping those kids with "potential" will be good enough to do something special in their one year at UK, but what we have witnessed, is a bunch of choke jobs by players and Cal.

I think it would be a huge mistake to put too much pressure on these young players. This idea that they have to make it to the Final Four in order for the season to be a success is not fair to them.
We’re not the ones putting the pressure on them, Cal is.

Cal is the one that has been hyping them up, making tee shirts with their names on them to do a video bragging about them, he's pointed to this recruiting class since they signed, as the model that he wins with and he's catering to whatever they want.

Not only that, but you and your other Cal fanboys need to realize that this is Kentucky, not Cleveland state. Cal has massively underachieved and brought kids in to play that should never be in a UK uniform, he's had players quit, sit and refuse to play, he’s embarrassed the university 3 years in a row and he has talked down to the fans every step of the way. Cal is the one that put this team in a pressuee situation, not the true fans.

You are not a true fan, you, Bass, UKBB4ever and KL, are nothing but trolls.

• Love
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
It's amazing to me what has changed from my own perspective. I was a huge Cal fan. I loved how he was quick and creative with fun responses during interviews, how he attracted top recruits, how he represented our program, how he fielded teams with a legitimate chance of a championship, and how much fun and pride it was being a Kentucky basketball fan. Unfortunately, I am pretty much negative and opposite now with Cal. It is hard to know exactly but things seem with him now as spiteful, or disinterested in creating teams that will produce championships instead of draft picks.

The emotion that kyJeff1 expressed above really represents exactly what I am talking about and he is not alone. I would bet kyJeff1 one time was a Cal fan too. it has all changed.

We are outside looking in but it is almost impossible for any rational person to debate that Cal has a program continuing to sink in terms of likely outcome. I am not talking about recruiting but results and legitimate expectations. Kansas, Duke, etc. has a roster full of talent yet still can attract recruits and transfers. Kentucky no longer seems KENTUCKY in that regard. History also suggests injuries and well I don't' need to go on and on about it. Cal better be praying Oscar and Reeves return or this is going to be a continuing downward saga and possibly ruining for the next few years our program.

We’re not the ones putting the pressure on them, Cal is.

Cal is the one that has been hyping them up, making tee shirts with their names on them to do a video bragging about them, he's pointed to this recruiting class since they signed, as the model that he wins with and he's catering to whatever they want.

Not only that, but you and your other Cal fanboys need to realize that this is Kentucky, not Cleveland state. Cal has massively underachieved and brought kids in to play that should never be in a UK uniform, he's had players quit, sit and refuse to play, he’s embarrassed the university 3 years in a row and he has talked down to the fans every step of the way. Cal is the one that put this team in a pressuee situation, not the true fans.

You are not a true fan, you, Bass, UKBB4ever and KL, are nothing but trolls.
You're the one who isn't a true fan. A real fan wouldn't bash the coach constantly and hope the team isn't successful. A real fan wouldn't react to a few disappointing seasons by ranting and raving constantly on a message board all day long. Cal has not predicted the team is going to the Final Four this season.
He is not putting too much pressure on them. This idea that Kentucky is so superior to every other program is silly and outdated. The fact that players can make millions of dollars while in school has changed everything. Players can go to many schools now and be very successful. They don't need to go to Kentucky, Duke and other blue bloods to make it to the NBA. It's much harder to win a championship than it used to be.

It's amazing to me what has changed from my own perspective. I was a huge Cal fan. I loved how he was quick and creative with fun responses during interviews, how he attracted top recruits, how he represented our program, how he fielded teams with a legitimate chance of a championship, and how much fun and pride it was being a Kentucky basketball fan. Unfortunately, I am pretty much negative and opposite now with Cal. It is hard to know exactly but things seem with him now as spiteful, or disinterested in creating teams that will produce championships instead of draft picks.

The emotion that kyJeff1 expressed above really represents exactly what I am talking about and he is not alone. I would bet kyJeff1 one time was a Cal fan too. it has all changed.

We are outside looking in but it is almost impossible for any rational person to debate that Cal has a program continuing to sink in terms of likely outcome. I am not talking about recruiting but results and legitimate expectations. Kansas, Duke, etc. has a roster full of talent yet still can attract recruits and transfers. Kentucky no longer seems KENTUCKY in that regard. History also suggests injuries and well I don't' need to go on and on about it. Cal better be praying Oscar and Reeves return or this is going to be a continuing downward saga and possibly ruining for the next few years our program.
Oh I was a huge Cal fan, I loved his interviews and how he was such a boss.

I loved how he handled Liggins, Cuz, Wall and Terrence Jones. I loved how he flipped the switch and made teams hit another gear.

But something happened and it was seemingly overnight. He turned into a clown show that started failing and acting like everyone else is at fault and wrong.

He’s getting worse. Not only has he lost his touch, but he's turned into an old man that doesn't know how to change and doesn't want to anyway.

You're the one who isn't a true fan. A real fan wouldn't bash the coach constantly and hope the team isn't successful. A real fan wouldn't react to a few disappointing seasons by ranting and raving constantly on a message board all day long. Cal has not predicted the team is going to the Final Four this season.
He is not putting too much pressure on them. This idea that Kentucky is so superior to every other program is silly and outdated. The fact that players can make millions of dollars while in school has changed everything. Players can go to many schools now and be very successful. They don't need to go to Kentucky, Duke and other blue bloods to make it to the NBA. It's much harder to win a championship than it used to be.
A real fan doesn’t accept mediocrity and a coach that is flipping the fanbase off at every turn.

We are one of the worst teams in the SEC against ranked teams. We ranked 10th.

You are celebrating mediocrity and you are refusing to see what's happening right under your nose. It seems like you lack enough intelligence to see what the rest.of us saw years ago.

Except UK

A real fan doesn’t accept mediocrity and a coach that is flipping the fanbase off at every turn.

We are one of the worst teams in the SEC against ranked teams. We ranked 10th.

You are celebrating mediocrity and you are refusing to see what's happening right under your nose. It seems like you lack enough intelligence to see what the rest.of us saw years ago.
I speak for the silent majority of UK fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT