ADVERTISEMENT

Importance of NIL

Apr 11, 2024
I was shell-shocked with the hire of Pope, just like many others. I respect his history and know he loves the uniform. After letting the shock wear off I am cautiously optimistic. The one thing that us as fans can do to assure success is donate to NIL early and often. That truly is the future and it is the greatest way for us to promote our fandom and make a difference. If Kentucky has the biggest NIL war chest, they will kill the portal. I hope in a few weeks we start to hear how Kentucky has built up one of the largest Basketball NIL funds in the country. That will determine the roster and success more than anything!

The Crafts are all in, so expect the cash flow to come in.
No doubt, but I think donations from the little guy are going to play a huge part as well! I donated this morning and feel good knowing I am trying to contribute something to the success. It was hard to do under Ellen's roommate!

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Somebody help me out. Is the NIL fund just a bag full of cash that must continuously be refilled or is that money allowed to be invested to eventually reach the point where it funds itself off the interest?

I thought NIL was money that was paid by businesses to the team or certain members to use their name image or likeness in advertising. How does this NIL fund work?

I thought NIL was money that was paid by businesses to the team or certain members to use their name image or likeness in advertising. How does this NIL fund work?
That’s how it is supposed to work. Realistically all that is happening is schools are arranging “budgets” that they can promise to players. It effectively works the way Calipari’s contract did. UK works with their boosters to guarantee most of his salary, which is justified through “guaranteed sponsorships.” Now it’s the same for players.

So let’s say Planet Fitness says they will give UK players $500,000 a year for marketing. That goes in the bucket. If UK has $8 million in guaranteed annual NIL and some other school only has $4 million, you can imagine which one gets the best players. If school A can offer player X $1 million in NIL, for school B to compete they might have to break their entire budget. Now coaches get to roster build based on their budget. If you have $3 million, what is the best team you can pay? You might have to look for diamonds in the rough that other schools aren’t recruiting. If you have $8 million, you can just outbid most schools to assemble a top ranked class.

Recruiting has changed. If you have the most money available, you will get talent.

Reactions: Billy_Mac
We have already donated $100.
You can select a 1 time donation for what ever amount you want.

We plan on donating at least another $200 spread out through this year.

Reactions: awf and Billy_Mac
If our NIL budget wasn’t completely used on a current year, it would roll over. If Pope has 8 million, and he comfortably builds his roster with 5 million, I do imagine the remaining money would roll over and be invested somewhere in the meanwhile.

I think because the spending is so frivolous and spontaneous I don’t ever see our NIL war chest stacking to the point where it could make itself enough money in investments to function as an endowment lol.

I think if it ever become overly abundant they would just tell donors that we’re in a good spot and we can take a season off of asking for millions.

Come on BBN. Arkansas just gave Cal an NIL chest fund of $4 to $5 million. Let's show Cal what we can do when we don't have a Coach who alienates all the boosters and fans. This is extremely important to help build a roster that can be competitive the first year. I donated for the first time ever. Please consider. Thanks

Come on BBN. Arkansas just gave Cal an NIL chest fund of $4 to $5 million. Let's show Cal what we can do when we don't have a Coach who alienates all the boosters and fans. This is extremely important to help build a roster that can be competitive the first year. I donated for the first time ever. Please consider. Thanks
Im donating for the first time ever as well. Im not rich, but hopefully theres 10,000 others like me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT