ADVERTISEMENT

I'm starting to think Dillingham

Worst part is it was reported that DJ went to Cal when he came back from injury and suggested that he come off of the bench . It’s just weird because this team didn’t seem to have guys with attitude issues her Cal coached like he was scared that they would leave the team .

I agree with your post on having a starting spot means something to most players . I still can’t think of a time where 2 of the top 3 players came off of the bench
Wow. If DJ really did that then that speaks well of his own character. But I’m not sure how that jives with Cal saying he didn’t want to hurt their feelings by taking away their starting spots. I doubt we ever get the full story on that one but if a guy is telling you to start the more deserving guy, stands to reason you’re not gonna break his heart by complying with his request.

Not only that but what a story that would make. It make DJ much more draftable as well since it would show the NBA this guy will do what it takes for his team to win even at the expense of his own personal glory. Aren’t enough of those guys in the NBA, or anywhere in sports anymore. Bit of a dying breed sadly.

Cant think of one. The first one that immediately comes to mind is Manu Ginobili for those Spurs teams certainly had a starter’s resume but that was just one guy, not two, and the guy(s) they had over him (I can’t remember, nba isn’t really my thing) weren’t as steep of a drop off as either DJ to Rob or Edwards to Reed. Just bizarre.

Reed was not projected one and done by anyone. Regardless of whether you hate Cal or not, Reed Sheppard went from a four year player to a lottery pick his freshman year..
It was not because of anything Cal did. Cal couldn’t coach his way out of a condom. This draft is weak and Reed is not ready for the NBA. It’s a damn shame this fraud of a coach was not let go years ago. What a POS.

It wasn’t just that he didn’t start him. It was the fact that Cal took away the one year Dilly and Reed could have won an NCAA championship by not playing the three R’s until they dropped as analytics clearly showed that was BY FAR our best lineup .

In other words Cal tanked the program intentionally to protect his two pets . If I was Reed or Dilly I would not let Cal within a mile of me .

Rob left here a better player than he came in. I doubt he's upset with Cal. The way Rob talked his parents love Cal as well. I don't think that changed just because he didn't start.

Reactions: UKgal82
I don’t know how Caliparis recruiting doesn’t take a big hit after not starting 2 lottery picks.
Makes no sense but again, it’s not about stats, it’s not about wins. The only thing that matters is he says these 2 dudes are going top 10 and they played for me. I don’t even have to start them to have them do that. The only thing prospects see is number 55-56 or whatever they may be draft picks under Cal.

Reactions: UKgal82
It wasn’t just that he didn’t start him. It was the fact that Cal took away the one year Dilly and Reed could have won an NCAA championship by not playing the three R’s until they dropped as analytics clearly showed that was BY FAR our best lineup .

In other words Cal tanked the program intentionally to protect his two pets . If I was Reed or Dilly I would not let Cal within a mile of me .

Such a fantasy thinking we sniff a national title no matter the lineups. The defense was dog crap regardless.

Him not starting probably rubbed him the wrong way .

I do remember Cal saying on John Wall pod that Rob thought Cal was extra hard on him . Which was funny to him because all his previous PG messaged him saying they wish that they had the freedom Rob had .

Wall started and played like 38 mins a game, not a similar situation

Reactions: fatguy87
Rob was the most talented player on that team by far. Without agreeing with a Call’s treatment of Rob, we need to point out the Rob’s game had still has few basic flaws:
- passing Rob ‘s left hand passing was far from elite. He could not make a left hook pass/ wrap around pass and because of this he would try to pass it with the right hand and what you would get would be some wild throws behind the teammates or on the wrong spots.
- defense though he has the side step and hand quickness to be in your face , pest defender like Ulis, he was highly undisciplined trying to steal or create deflections which most of the resulted in silky faults. He doesn’t know how defend pick and roll or screens but that’s more on Calipari.
- decision making typically of a freshman .
-3 pts shooting he was able to get it off because of his speed, footwork and his handles, he doesn’t have a quick release , dips the ball. For his size he should catch the ball higher so he has a quicker release. Booker had the same problem at Uk but he corrected in nba and he is also taller.

Rob actually was the most electric player on that team but far from a finished product. However , Calipari didn’t treat him right, so I would not be surprised if Rob was not as found of him.

Reed played close to 30 minutes a game so he might have been fine . Rob foul trouble limited him at times but even without it he still had a shorter leash than DJ all things considered.

Cal let his personal love for DJ mess up the entire team . That can never happen

Completely accurate. Infuriating asf.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Question Did Dilly actually SAY anything negative about his time here or is this just a bunch of unfounded conjecture

Kid will end up an all star and we’ll all have to wonder how Cal botched this season along with Maxey, Murray, KAT, SGA, Booker…
The Maxey team had Richards, IQ, and Maxey in the started lineup along with a renowned defensive pest in Hagans. They failed to finish in top 50 of Kenpom's adjusted defensive efficiency. Overall, they barely cracked the top 30.

Last edited:
The Maxey team had Richards, IQ, and Maxey in the started lineup as long as a renowned defensive pest in Hagans. The failed to finish in top 50 of Kenpom's adjusted defensive efficiency. Overall, they barely cracked the top 30.
That’s why it’s ridiculous when Cal and Cal “leg humpers “ try and say that team would have won the title.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Starting to think Dillingham and Cal didn't get along very well by the end of the year. Here are a few of the reasons.

Matt Jones said he thought Reed would be more likely of the 2 lottery picks to invite Cal to the draft and mentioned there may be a little animosity between them.
Dillingham also never posted anything about Cal going to Arkansas like many of they players from last year did.
Dillingham also just reposted UKs video/post of Mark Pope on his IG story.
Yeah, I would read all types of stuff into that information. Matt Jones says, are 3 words to let you know the rest of what is written is BS.

Yeah, if the 3 Rs were on the floor together 25 minutes per game instead of 15 minutes per game most of the games we lost this year would have been wins including the last two games. It didn't matter who we put at the 4/5 positions because ALL the best lineups had Reeves, Dillingham, and Sheppard on the floor together.

And before somebody gets in to tell how bad our record was when DJ was out and Sheppard started I'd like to remind them that, in those games, the 3 Rs got less than 10 minutes per game together because Edwards had to have his 30+ minutes at the three and he played badly every one of those games. It's not that Cal wanted to throw away the season, just that he cared more about playing DJ and Edwards. It would have been different if the two standout frosh had been coming off the bench behind good upperclassmen but they were coming off the bench behind lesser freshmen.

That's why Cal is no longer the UK coach.

They could have won a title.
Highly doubtful. Teams that fail to finish in the top 50 of Kenpom's adjusted defensive efficiency rankings or the top 30 in overall defense don’t win championships . Check the history.

Last edited:
Cal's roster mis management in his final year was epically bad. Obviously Rob was better than DJ...obviously Reed was better than DJ. Obviously Z was better than either Ugonna or Bradshaw. Any minor tweaking of minutes, starting lineups, etc could have resulted in a possibility of an elite 8/final 4 run. Alas, he just wasn't smart enough or ethically sound enough.

Cal's roster mis management in his final year was epically bad. Obviously Rob was better than DJ...obviously Reed was better than DJ. Obviously Z was better than either Ugonna or Bradshaw. Any minor tweaking of minutes, starting lineups, etc could have resulted in a possibility of an elite 8/final 4 run. Alas, he just wasn't smart enough or ethically sound enough.
I agree that Rob and Reed were better than DJ. They also played more minutes than DJ. Occasionally Rob caused silly foul trouble that made him sit more. Z was improving but I can't say he was better than Onyenso. Z is better than the big man they picked today though. Pope has a great opportunity to get a few really good players. Let's hope his recruiting action can match the talk. Travis Perry may very well be our best player and that would be great, as long as he is great.

I agree that Rob and Reed were better than DJ. They also played more minutes than DJ. Occasionally Rob caused silly foul trouble that made him sit more. Z was improving but I can't say he was better than Onyenso. Z is better than the big man they picked today though. Pope has a great opportunity to get a few really good players. Let's hope his recruiting action can match the talk. Travis Perry may very well be our best player and that would be great, as long as he is great.
I disagree about Z being better than the guy we got today. Z has more upside but right now Williams is a much better player but it's comparing apples to oranges as they are completely different type players. Williams won't be taking any threes but he is a defensive beast and will score or get fouled when he gets it close to the basket. Get Osobor and we'll be the best interior defensive and rebounding team in the country. If we do that and have shooters at the 1-3 positions UK could wind up with a really good team next year. Remember Pope had BYU as the Kenpom #18 team last year and he'll have MUCH more talent here next year. I'm feeling good about Kentucky and Mark Pope.

I disagree about Z being better than the guy we got today. Z has more upside but right now Williams is a much better player but it's comparing apples to oranges as they are completely different type players. Williams won't be taking any threes but he is a defensive beast and will score or get fouled when he gets it close to the basket. Get Osobor and we'll be the best interior defensive and rebounding team in the country. If we do that and have shooters at the 1-3 positions UK could wind up with a really good team next year. Remember Pope had BYU as the Kenpom #18 team last year and he'll have MUCH more talent here next year. I'm feeling good about Kentucky and Mark Pope.
Had you heard of osobor and Williams before this season? I think we are going to have a run on more than a couple of very good guards or we may be a team in danger next year. Still early but its getting late quick. Pope had a good year last year until Duquesne in the first round. Lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT