ADVERTISEMENT

I'm starting to think Dillingham

JwUKFan11

Senior
Nov 11, 2011
Starting to think Dillingham and Cal didn't get along very well by the end of the year. Here are a few of the reasons.

Matt Jones said he thought Reed would be more likely of the 2 lottery picks to invite Cal to the draft and mentioned there may be a little animosity between them.
Dillingham also never posted anything about Cal going to Arkansas like many of they players from last year did.
Dillingham also just reposted UKs video/post of Mark Pope on his IG story.

Well Reed has said publicly last few days he loves Cal . Dilly hasn’t spoke

Reed and his family have class. But he has to know deep down that Cal wasted him. He has to. You know Jeff and Stacy know it.

By the way, not trying to insinuate that Dilly doesn’t have class. I love that kid too. Just think maybe he’s a little more willing to tell it like it is.

Starting to think Dillingham and Cal didn't get along very well by the end of the year. Here are a few of the reasons.

Matt Jones said he thought Reed would be more likely of the 2 lottery picks to invite Cal to the draft and mentioned there may be a little animosity between them.
Dillingham also never posted anything about Cal going to Arkansas like many of they players from last year did.
Smart player. Smart man.

Him not starting probably rubbed him the wrong way .

I do remember Cal saying on John Wall pod that Rob thought Cal was extra hard on him . Which was funny to him because all his previous PG messaged him saying they wish that they had the freedom Rob had .
I heard that as well. I’ve also heard Wall say before that Cal rode him harder than anyone else on that team and he didn’t like it at the time but appreciates it now. Said Cal always rides guys more the more expectations he has for them.

So if Cal did ride Rob more than DJ at practice then that’s just another sign Rob should’ve been starting.

I don’t blame Rob at all for holding a grudge against Cal. I think privately Reed does too, but you’d never guess that if you took his statements at face value. Of course there is a world where Reed was just more comfortable coming off the bench but you’d think if that was case Cal would’ve told us that much.

Reed and his family have class. But he has to know deep down that Cal wasted him. He has to. You know Jeff and Stacy know it.

By the way, not trying to insinuate that Dilly doesn’t have class. I love that kid too. Just think maybe he’s a little more willing to tell it like it is.
I know we don’t wanna pair Reed and Cal together but by all accounts they had a great relationship. You could tell by the way Reed got emotional talking about him after the Oakland game. I’m sure Reed won’t be feeling that way when he’s a top 10 pick.

I heard that as well. I’ve also heard Wall say before that Cal rode him harder than anyone else on that team and he didn’t like it at the time but appreciates it now. Said Cal always rides guys more the more expectations he has for them.

So if Cal did ride Rob more than DJ at practice then that’s just another sign Rob should’ve been starting.

I don’t blame Rob at all for holding a grudge against Cal. I think privately Reed does too, but you’d never guess that if you took his statements at face value. Of course there is a world where Reed was just more comfortable coming off the bench but you’d think if that was case Cal would’ve told us that much.
Reed played close to 30 minutes a game so he might have been fine . Rob foul trouble limited him at times but even without it he still had a shorter leash than DJ all things considered.

Cal let his personal love for DJ mess up the entire team . That can never happen

Reed played close to 30 minutes a game so he might have been fine . Rob foul trouble limited him at times but even without it he still had a shorter leash than DJ all things considered.

Cal let his personal love for DJ mess up the entire team . That can never happen
And, I think this situation likely played a big part in Dillingham’s perpetual foul trouble. I noticed that a lot of the fouls he committed looked to be out of frustration. And, offensively, he took a lot of bad shots & tried to do too much, at times. That’s also a sign of a frustrated player, probably feeling the pressure to maximize the time he DID get on the floor.

Then, we heard about his altercation with Burks. And, how many times did Calipari send RD to the bench right in the middle of a scorching hot streak? I’d imagine RD STAYED frustrated all season long. He certainly had every right to be.

Last edited:

Good, BBN loves Dilly and we all recognize the BS he had to endure here. He balled out and had to act like coming off the bench was okay.

I just think Reed wants to project an easiest to get along with Kentucky guy. They live here and have a family legacy. It’s easier for Dilly to come out and say it because he doesn’t have deep ties to the school or state:

And, I think this situation likely played a big part in Dillingham’s perpetual foul trouble. I noticed that a lot of the fouls he committed looked to be out of frustration. And, offensively, he took a lot of bad shots & tried to do too much, at times. That’s also a sign of a frustrated player, probably feeling the pressure to maximize the time he DID get on the floor.

Then, we heard about his altercation with Burks. And, how many times did Calipari send RD to the bench right in the middle of a scorching hot streak? I’d imagine RD STAYED frustrated all season long. He certainly had every right to be.
Yeah I believe Cal is the only coach in America who would sit a kid in the middle of a hot streak. It’s not like he ever looked worn out, god knows we didn’t go all out on defense.

I just think Reed wants to project an easiest to get along with Kentucky guy. They live here and have a family legacy. It’s easier for Dilly to come out and say it because he doesn’t have deep ties to the school or state:

Yeah that’s pretty much what I meant to say lol. You expressed it better.

The Burks and RD altercation was the most shocking rumor because they seem to be so close on the team .

Maybe Burks tried to talk to him and Rob just didn’t wanna hear anything at the time . Not like they could about something on the court considering Burks was on the bench all game lol

Oh certainly. I don’t think either player has anything to complain about in terms of playing time since they both played more minutes than the guys that were starting (undeservedly) ahead of them (DJ and Edwards).

But a starting spot is something most players strive for and it’s something most athletes of any team sport expect when they’re not only one of the best players on their team, but one of the best players in the country in their league.

And given his comments I do think there’s a possibility that Reed is one of those rare guys who could appreciate and even want to come off the bench to be a spark much like Manu for the great classic (are they old enough to be considered classic yet?) Spurs teams. Like I said before, could definitely see that scenario as a very real possibility.

All that being said most players aren’t like that, in any sport. And I definitely agree that Cal showed nepotism with DJ at the expense of the team. I think it’s obvious promises were made to Edwards to get him on campus, and possibly DJ as well. But DJ it was either promises for minutes, or nepotism like we both have suggested. Either way, can’t have that crap in the big leagues. You’re either ready to contribute or you’re not, and there’s nothing wrong with sitting on the bench and learning until you’re ready.

Seems like a lot of guys are in such a rush they don’t care if they don’t care if they reveal they’re not ready for the nba so long as they get to start and/or get their minutes.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
The 2 foul rule is dumb. Let him play until he picked up 3 fouls in first half. He would have helped UK get off to better starts.
The two foul thing is done by 90% of coaches out there. It’s pretty standard practice. Only exceptions seem to be in big tournament games.

The two foul thing is done by 90% of coaches out there. It’s pretty standard practice. Only exceptions seem to be in big tournament games.

With the guard depth we had I think in a high stakes game its worth the gamble to keep a guy like Dilly in. Regardless, he should have started both halves. Sit him, whatever, but start him.

Reed was not projected one and done by anyone. Regardless of whether you hate Cal or not, Reed Sheppard went from a four year player to a lottery pick his freshman year..

Oh certainly. I don’t think either player has anything to complain about in terms of playing time since they both played more minutes than the guys that were starting (undeservedly) ahead of them (DJ and Edwards).

But a starting spot is something most players strive for and it’s something most athletes of any team sport expect when they’re not only one of the best players on their team, but one of the best players in the country in their league.

And given his comments I do think there’s a possibility that Reed is one of those rare guys who could appreciate and even want to come off the bench to be a spark much like Manu for the great classic (are they old enough to be considered classic yet?) Spurs teams. Like I said before, could definitely see that scenario as a very real possibility.

All that being said most players aren’t like that, in any sport. And I definitely agree that Cal showed nepotism with DJ at the expense of the team. I think it’s obvious promises were made to Edwards to get him on campus, and possibly DJ as well. But DJ it was either promises for minutes, or nepotism like we both have suggested. Either way, can’t have that crap in the big leagues. You’re either ready to contribute or you’re not, and there’s nothing wrong with sitting on the bench and learning until you’re ready.

Seems like a lot of guys are in such a rush they don’t care if they don’t care if they reveal they’re not ready for the nba so long as they get to start and/or get their minutes.
Worst part is it was reported that DJ went to Cal when he came back from injury and suggested that he come off of the bench . It’s just weird because this team didn’t seem to have guys with attitude issues her Cal coached like he was scared that they would leave the team .

I agree with your post on having a starting spot means something to most players . I still can’t think of a time where 2 of the top 3 players came off of the bench

Reed was not projected one and done by anyone. Regardless of whether you hate Cal or not, Reed Sheppard went from a four year player to a lottery pick his freshman year..
He was never a 4 year player. If you watched before UK you could see he was gonna blow up here. There was a thread before the season of who would take the shot at the end. I said Reed. He wasn’t rated as highly but he should have been rated at the top.

I made multiple posts this season about Dillingham probably wishing he’d gone elsewhere due to the way he was being treated by Cow. But I was told he was fine and all was good because of his draft rankings. Are people really that stupid? He and Reed always said the right things when asked, but a blind man could see Rob wasn’t happy with how he was being done and it reflected in his play sometimes. I think it led to him trying to do too much at times trying to prove himself.
But just wait until DJ’s ankle is fully healed!!!

Rob should've been playing more than DJ--however Cal being upset with Rob was more about things that any of us would be and were as fans-like going under screens or leaving ball side corner when that 3pt shot ended the season for all legit purposes. The guy came down to double/cheat the one thing he can't do there-a 2 pt shot puts them up 1 possession and instead he leaves corner and guy hits--4 pt game and season over. Especially when Reed walked the ball up like he forgot to wipe and had no urgency....when Rob should've had the ball and raced for either a quick 2 or drive and kick. That regime is over thankfully but let's not pretend Rob didn't have warts that pissed a lot of people off and would really upset us all if we were coaching him/telling him what to do and what NOT to do and he he never listened or couldn't be trusted to do the team thing rather than go for the hero play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT