ADVERTISEMENT

If you could pick a former UK player for Mark Pope to hire as an assistant. Who would it be?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
My choice would be Chuck Hayes. A man that played 12 years in the NBA as a 6'6" very undersized center. He did it with smarts, with hustle, with the proper fundamentals. He could work wonders with our low post players.

None unless they've already established themselves as a good and effective assistant coach.

We're talking about the 5th assistant here.

Jon Scheyer got hired by Coach K with zero experience, look at him now.

Hubert Davis got hired by Roy Williams with zero experience, look at him now.

UNC also hired Sean May with no experience.

Kansas hired Danny Manning with zero experience. Turned out pretty well.

Lots of examples. I don't care about resume with former players as much as I do about "fit" and how much I think they can make a difference.

Former players usually know the game really well, and they can relate to the current players more than some 60 year old guy who never played.

I'd say:

Rajon Rondo (but this is tough with his grassroots empire he seems to be building)

Tayshaun Prince (Enough said. This would be a killer hire. NBA champion. Olympic Gold Medalist on the Redeem Team. NBA Front Office experience)

Chuck Hayes (Currently the Director of Basketball Operations for the Golden State Warriors, he would be a complete home-run)

Nazr Mohamed

Gerald Fitch! (
He is a college head coach now! I had no idea! https://www.cgtctitans.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Gerald_Fitch?view=bio)

Keith Bogans (Wonder what he is up to now a days? But he had a long NBA career and an amazing Kentucky career)

Kyle Wiltjer (He would be so much fun to have back around and think he'd be a great assistant also)

Jodie Meeks (Wonder what he is up to now also? But another guy who hung around the NBA for longer than anyone thought he would, and obviously was amazing and always seemed really smart)

Mark Pope is the only former player we need on staff.

I would use the final staff spot on an up-and-coming assistant who could fill in for one of our recruiters if they take a head coach position somewhere in a year or two.

Nazr gets my vote for a lot of reasons. He put in MAJOR work on himself and was a pro longer than anyone else on those teams because he is smart and could mentor.

Darius Miller. Age 34.
Mr. Basketball in Kentucky. Integral part of the 2012 NCAA National Champs.
Eight-year pro career ... 6 years in the NBA; 3 seasons and 3 championships in the highest level German League; twice All-League; once Finals MVP. Came back to the States and played in all 82 games for the Pels in 2017-18. Played in 69 games for them in 2018-19. His playing career is over now. I have a very high opinion of Darius, and I'd like to see him get a good start toward a coaching career if he wants to do that.
I have equal respect for Chuck Hayes and I share all of the positive sentiments expressed by others about Chuck.

Rondo.

He had credibility with the likes of Kobe, LeBron, KG, and Davis.

He's friends with Davis, Wall, Cousins, and many other former UK guys.

He has the smarts, the credibility, and the knowledge. He also has the connections to former players.

I'm not sure how anyone could make a case for anyone more than him.

We're talking about the 5th assistant here.

Jon Scheyer got hired by Coach K with zero experience, look at him now.

Hubert Davis got hired by Roy Williams with zero experience, look at him now.

UNC also hired Sean May with no experience.

Kansas hired Danny Manning with zero experience. Turned out pretty well.

Lots of examples. I don't care about resume with former players as much as I do about "fit" and how much I think they can make a difference.

Former players usually know the game really well, and they can relate to the current players more than some 60 year old guy who never played.

I'd say:

Rajon Rondo (but this is tough with his grassroots empire he seems to be building)

Tayshaun Prince (Enough said. This would be a killer hire. NBA champion. Olympic Gold Medalist on the Redeem Team. NBA Front Office experience)

Chuck Hayes (Currently the Director of Basketball Operations for the Golden State Warriors, he would be a complete home-run)

Nazr Mohamed

Gerald Fitch! (
He is a college head coach now! I had no idea! https://www.cgtctitans.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Gerald_Fitch?view=bio)

Keith Bogans (Wonder what he is up to now a days? But he had a long NBA career and an amazing Kentucky career)

Kyle Wiltjer (He would be so much fun to have back around and think he'd be a great assistant also)

Jodie Meeks (Wonder what he is up to now also? But another guy who hung around the NBA for longer than anyone thought he would, and obviously was amazing and always seemed really smart)
Thanks for sharing in regards to Fitch. Awesome that he is doing well. He was a helluva player here but always seemed to be in the doghouse.

Jemarl Baker
He's spent 7 years in college(almost 26), and has been to 4 different schools. He knows how to work the transfer portal. However, I don't know if his health would allow him to travel.

I always thought that asst. coaches were on staff to work with certain players at certain positions. I think of Kenny Payne and how he worked with our bigs on an individual basis. I’m not familiar enough with this coaching staff to know their coaching strengths or if they work with players at certain positions. So my question is what kind of coach do we need given the coaches we have?

Reactions: dl51344
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT