ADVERTISEMENT

If You Could Choose One Band…

GnarlsBarkley

Sophomore
Jun 2, 2007
After the news of Robbie Robertsons passing yesterday I found out that some people had never heard of The Band. Now some might say this is egregious, but think about it, those folks now get to experience The Band for the first time. So my question to you is, if you could choose one band or artist to have never heard before just so you could hear them for the first time, who would it be?

I can't fathom anyone interested in music enough to respond to this thread being unaware of the Band.

Good point, but music is one subject where many do not step out of their comfort zone, and stick to what they like. They do not explore history, and/or many other genres/artists that may grab their soul.

Reactions: warrior-cat
It would be awesome to binge listen to the Beatles and watch them evolve, thats one of the reasons I'm leaning Bowie, but cant decide.

After the news of Robbie Robertsons passing yesterday I found out that some people had never heard of The Band. Now some might say this is egregious, but think about it, those folks now get to experience The Band for the first time. So my question to you is, if you could choose one band or artist to have never heard before just so you could hear them for the first time, who would it be?
Well Gnarls, based on our avatars, I’m thinking we might be of a similar mind on this question......

Reactions: GnarlsBarkley
I can't fathom anyone interested in music enough to respond to this thread being unaware of the Band.
Then you don't interact with people < age 30.

A few weeks ago, Taylor Swift was in Denver for a couple of nights. On the first night, John Fogerty was playing at Red Rocks. I asked one of my young (25-28), female coworkers if she was going to TS's concert. She said 'of course' and asked if I was going. I said I'd much, much rather go see Fogerty. Blank stare. 'Who'? I said, John Fogerty. Creedence Clearwater Revival. Blank stare. Absolutely no clue whatsoever. This person could probably sing every hit song in the past 12 years but had no idea who CCR or John Fogerty was.

For me, it would be Mick Taylor-era Rolling Stones.

Then you don't interact with people < age 30.

A few weeks ago, Taylor Swift was in Denver for a couple of nights. On the first night, John Fogerty was playing at Red Rocks. I asked one of my young (25-28), female coworkers if she was going to TS's concert. She said 'of course' and asked if I was going. I said I'd much, much rather go see Fogerty. Blank stare. 'Who'? I said, John Fogerty. Creedence Clearwater Revival. Blank stare. Absolutely no clue whatsoever. This person could probably sing every hit song in the past 12 years but had no idea who CCR or John Fogerty was.

For me, it would be Mick Taylor-era Rolling Stones.

When I worked at Starbucks (left in 2007) we got an Isley Brothers greatest hits cd we had to play a bunch. It was so funny seeing all the ears perk up at the beginning of every song because everyone just knew them from the rappers that sampled them.

Reactions: gamecockcat
This will get mocked by a lot of people here but I'm glad the first time I really listened to Ed Sheeran was live. All I knew from him was that song "a team" on the radio and didn't know anything else about him. Seeing him walk on stage by himself and start playing, and seeing the faces melt on the crowd who had no idea what to expect, was a great experience.

I know who they are, but their heyday ended 5 years before I was born. They never had a gold or platinum album and their highest charting single reached 10 in Canada and only 25 in the US.

I know of their immense influence on other artists, but couldn’t name five of their songs. My point is, people of a certain age aren’t going to know every famous artist in music history. Every music fan experiences this. I guarantee I could tell you more about 90s metal or hip hop than someone who is 70, just like that 70 year old with have more knowledge of 50s and 60s music than I will.

My formative music years were about 1986-99 That’s my wheelhouse. I couldn’t tell you much about anything released after 2010 or before 1980 or so outside of the legends like the Beetles, Stones, Aerosmith, Skynrd, CCR, Zeppelin, etc.

Reactions: J_Dee
For me it would be Megadeth.

I heard Rust In Peace when I was 10 and it blew mind. I’d never heard precison guitar playing like that before. Yes, the vocals are a polarizing force. I was familiar with them when I was younger, but deep dived the catalog in about 2004 and became a massive fan.

After a little more thought, I'm gonna add Boston. When my hot babysitter played the first album for me in the summer of '77, I was like, what is that??? It sounded like outer space rock to my young ears, and the album cover drove it home even more.
I’m gonna let you slide on Boston. I’ll just assume you were distracted by the hot babysitter. Understandable.

• Haha
Reactions: Lamar Card
1) THE WHO
2) HUMBLE PIE - never saw them

Here is the absolute best concert I've ever attended ... I've been to hundreds of shows over the years ... this was on 12/08/75 ... well before the terrible tragedy in 1979.

Last edited:
Count me in for Pink Floyd. I had my chance to see them in 1980 (?) in Chicago but opted to wait until they played closer to home. Dumb. Never forgive myself. Frank Zappa would be another. My friends said he put on one hell of a show.

Reactions: CastleRubric
Have any you guys seen the You Tube videos that shows guys hearing Groups and artist for the first time. I think there a few Channels that have this. My wife really likes to watch these young people reacting to the music from the 60's and the 70's

Have any you guys seen the You Tube videos that shows guys hearing Groups and artist for the first time. I think there a few Channels that have this. My wife really likes to watch these young people reacting to the music from the 60's and the 70's
There are many of these REACTION VIDEOS on youtube and just about all are great !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT