ADVERTISEMENT

If we land at 8-4 you have to call it a good year -- right ?

Do you have any clue how many times we have actually won 8 games in the last 70 years? I believe Collier never did it, Bradshaw did not, Ray did not, Curci did it twice which we landed on probation for, Claiborne did it once, Curry never did, Mumme never did, Morris did not, Brooks twice, Joker did not, Stoops has 3 times plus 3 7 win seasons. So that is six times(no probation involved) since 1951 and Stoops has three of them, 2 of them 10 win seasons. Since the 50's 4-5 wins is more accurate whether anyone accepts it or not.
Yes I know and looking at our futility in the past does nothing for a successful future. U6 did nothing in the past and they decided to be good in football and have had good runs. I know they play crap talent but now with NIL, no excuses for us to not at least put together some semblance of a credible office. Stoop has not done this and it's no secret.

Yes I know and looking at our futility in the past does nothing for a successful future. U6 did nothing in the past and they decided to be good in football and have had good runs.

As far as it goes, you are correct in part here. I just cringe when people imply UK has not made a strong effort to build a successful football program. That is simply incorrect, and any fair minded, open-eyed observer knows UK has made a huge effort. An accurate historical perspective assists in understanding this. No rational point in suggesting otherwise.

I know they play crap talent but now with NIL, no excuses for us to not at least put together some semblance of a credible office. Stoop has not done this and it's no secret.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but not to your own set of facts. For only the second time since 1990, UK's football program has a sound infrastructure now. Factual evidence - all facilities have been renovated and most are being renovated again now; strongest recruiting in modern UK football history; largest recruiting budget in UK football history; eight consecutive bowl seasons; largest coaching payroll in program history; Brad White turned down the LSU DC job. These current standards were unimaginable just a decade ago.

I don't like it when UK loses. I don't like it anymore than you do. But perspective is important. UK went 2-9 in 2012 and now Stoops is winning every year. Given my assessment of Stoops' recruiting classes, plus the Coen hire, I believe our future is bright, even though the SEC is the toughest football conference in the US. I know all the anti-Stoops arguments. He can't beat GA. He doesn't win enough SEC games His team doesn't play well after bye weeks. He makes too much money. And so forth. I have a longer perspective, and I believe the long term direction of our football program is up. Any good statistician can show you the difference between macro-trends and the countertrends that always occur within macro-trends. To appreciate macro-trends, one needs a historical perspective. Above, you compared UL's and UK's program building processes. That is terribly shortsighted. There is no rational comparison. NIL or no NIL, building a successful SEC football program is the toughest job in competitive college sports by far. But this board is bipolar and reactionary and, frankly, you have been a small part of that negative chaos.

We have 2 tough ones left , a road SEC game , needless to say thats a tough one , and on the road at Lil Bro' . Beating SoCar would be nice , but beating Lil Bro again in Louisville would be really sweet . Then there's the 4 losses , all blow outs . Drilled BAD against Ga and Bama ( NO I didnt expect a W ) and home losses to UT , we never had the lead so it wasnt exactly close , and gave up a 35 point run to a decent Mz team . Those 4 losses were U. G. L. Y. . All. in all a good year ? Have to say Yes . but we drop these last 2 to finish at 6-6 . Very disappointing .
If we finish 8-4 with a win over probably our 2 biggest rivals, I’d be satisfied. We would have losses to two playoff teams, maybe 3 if Missouri keeps rolling and Tennessee. Looking back, the Tennessee game was probably the most disappointing loss. They get in our heads way too much. I don’t think realistically we could have done much better than 9-3, 8-4. Nobody saw Missouri coming. If we split the final 2 or god forbid lose them both then this year is a disappointment and a step back for the program. I really think we need to develop leaders in our recruits and quit hitting the portal so much especially at quarterback. Hopefully that ends with Boley and Saunders.

As far as it goes, you are correct in part here. I just cringe when people imply UK has not made a strong effort to build a successful football program. That is simply incorrect, and any fair minded, open-eyed observer knows UK has made a huge effort. An accurate historical perspective assists in understanding this. No rational point in suggesting otherwise.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but not to your own set of facts. For only the second time since 1990, UK's football program has a sound infrastructure now. Factual evidence - all facilities have been renovated and most are being renovated again now; strongest recruiting in modern UK football history; largest recruiting budget in UK football history; eight consecutive bowl seasons; largest coaching payroll in program history; Brad White turned down the LSU DC job. These current standards were unimaginable just a decade ago.

I don't like it when UK loses. I don't like it anymore than you do. But perspective is important. UK went 2-9 in 2012 and now Stoops is winning every year. Given my assessment of Stoops' recruiting classes, plus the Coen hire, I believe our future is bright, even though the SEC is the toughest football conference in the US. I know all the anti-Stoops arguments. He can't beat GA. He doesn't win enough SEC games His team doesn't play well after bye weeks. He makes too much money. And so forth. I have a longer perspective, and I believe the long term direction of our football program is up. Any good statistician can show you the difference between macro-trends and the countertrends that always occur within macro-trends. To appreciate macro-trends, one needs a historical perspective. Above, you compared UL's and UK's program building processes. That is terribly shortsighted. There is no rational comparison. NIL or no NIL, building a successful SEC football program is the toughest job in competitive college sports by far. But this board is bipolar and reactionary and, frankly, you have been a small part of that negative chaos.
we aren't that far apart on our stances. I just believe if you are striving for greatness, don't accept less because they have lived with "less" for so long. Change your stars, not live with excuses.

^^ man calling Missouri anything close to a playoff team is a serious stretch
MO is ranked #9 in the country. They won't be a playoff team this season, but it has been a hell of a year for Drink. He also has a commitment from Williams Nawaneri, which is pretty darn impressive even though Nawaneri is an instate prospect. Nawaneri has at least 11 SEC offers plus OH St, MI, ND, TX, OK, and SCal.

we aren't that far apart on our stances. I just believe if you are striving for greatness, don't accept less because they have lived with "less" for so long. Change your stars, not live with excuses.
We are very far apart. The "don't live with excuses" and "don't accept less" stuff is manufactured. Neither is even in the same universe with reality at UK. There are a lot of directly pertinent facts that you do not take into account. But if you haven't noted that by now, there doesn't seem to be much point in going to the trouble to list them again here.

We are very far apart. The "don't live with excuses" and "don't accept less" stuff is manufactured. Neither is even in the same universe with reality at UK. There are a lot of directly pertinent facts that you do not take into account. But if you haven't noted that by now, there doesn't seem to be much point in going to the trouble to list them again here.
You might as well give up and enjoy 6-6.

No one is immune from being blown off the field by top teams. This even includes other top teams.
top teams rarely get blown off the field, also, they never do multiple times a season like we have this year. I like stoops, but that is an issue

MO is ranked #9 in the country. They won't be a playoff team this season, but it has been a hell of a year for Drink. He also has a commitment from Williams Nawaneri, which is pretty darn impressive even though Nawaneri is an instate prospect. Nawaneri has at least 11 SEC offers plus OH St, MI, ND, TX, OK, and SCal.
Around noon I had a longer reply typed up to a previous thread about comments like “ if you will just take a minute “ “ you are. Not entitled to your facts “ and a few other “ I’m looking down my nose comments “ like those . As far as facts go it’s a 4 team playoff MISSOURI ISNT in any conversation . Period . Unbeatable fact . Nice year , surprised people , also don’t care about getting some recruit to stay home . Wasn’t really what’s this conversation has been about .
As there was insinuation about not covering the spread often enough — I don’t gamble , so non issue — also I don’t care how much stoops makes - all SEC coaches are millionaires, so no biggie to me .
The unbending truth is he’s 2-7 in his last. 9 SEC Home games , 2-7 ! And he’s gotten stomped 4 times this year . Never had the lead at any point vs Tn and gave up a 35 - 0 run Vs Mz … that’s in the better features of the 4 losses … that screams complacency to me . He’s done an admirable job here , had some real success , but I think he’s lost his edge somehow .

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Oner of the guys post on here read like a UK athletics dept member or the Punting Coach .. one or the other .

Accepting less and being realistic with the limitations UK has compared to our SEC competition are two very different things.

Yes. Don't see how anyone other than the perennial top 10 programs could say that is bad.

Yes I know and looking at our futility in the past does nothing for a successful future. U6 did nothing in the past and they decided to be good in football and have had good runs. I know they play crap talent but now with NIL, no excuses for us to not at least put together some semblance of a credible office. Stoop has not done this and it's no secret.
They almost dropped football till Bill Olsen and Howard Schnellengurger came along. Schnellengurger scheduled some big time programs to make money and the rest is history. The absolute biggest mistake that UK leaders ever made was not hiring HS and giving him the control and financial support. What happens when you have bb first and only ads.

At a certain point we've gotten to where our past no longer matters and can't be used as a prop to excuse not excelling in the future.

Do I think we'll ever be Georgia or Alabama? No. I don't think we can ever get there without handing out rampant paydays to players.

But I think we're at the point with Stoops, where he's paid what he is, that it's OK for us to expect him to not have that shit the bed game every year. That inexplicable loss. That total implosion game. If you went back and just added that 1 win to each season, we would look at Stoops as WILDLY successful.

I mean, just look at this season. The Missouri game is the only loss we have that any reasonable fan didn't expect. We win that were 7-3. Is anyone truly complaining? Doubtful. The Tennessee game is what it is and will continue to be until we do our part. The only other legit gripe is not looking like a peewee team v Georgia and Alabama. I thought we could at least look respectable, but both games we were incredibly undisciplined.

Reactions: ManitouDan
8-4 would be a salvaged year, mostly acceptable. I would have preferred taking at least one from UT or Mizzou considering both were at home, but Mizzou has turned out to be better than advertised. need to hope everybody decides to play in whatever bowl we wind up in though. A 9-4 finish would calm a lot of fans down.
9/4 is better than 7/6 from last year

UL had the advantage of crappy schedules and cheating in recruiting..

Around noon I had a longer reply typed up to a previous thread about comments like “ if you will just take a minute “ “ you are. Not entitled to your facts “ and a few other “ I’m looking down my nose comments “ like those . As far as facts go it’s a 4 team playoff MISSOURI ISNT in any conversation . Period . Unbeatable fact . Nice year , surprised people , also don’t care about getting some recruit to stay home . Wasn’t really what’s this conversation has been about .
As there was insinuation about not covering the spread often enough — I don’t gamble , so non issue — also I don’t care how much stoops makes - all SEC coaches are millionaires, so no biggie to me .
The unbending truth is he’s 2-7 in his last. 9 SEC Home games , 2-7 ! And he’s gotten stomped 4 times this year . Never had the lead at any point vs Tn and gave up a 35 - 0 run Vs Mz … that’s in the better features of the 4 losses … that screams complacency to me . He’s done an admirable job here , had some real success , but I think he’s lost his edge somehow .
Maybe the two incidents that's happened the last few years have taken his MOJO along with being set for life financially.

This is just stupid. Striving for greatness is obviously a good thing. Crapping all over the coach every time things don't go to your liking is not. Thinking you can just demand things is really dumb though.

They almost dropped football till Bill Olsen and Howard Schnellengurger came along. Schnellengurger scheduled some big time programs to make money and the rest is history. The absolute biggest mistake that UK leaders ever made was not hiring HS and giving him the control and financial support. What happens when you have bb first and only ads.
So your claim is they only hired Jerry Claiborne because they love bb and didn't want fb to succeed? Howard was always a bit shady and coming off the Curci probation they wanted the cleaner reputation who also was proven to be a damn good coach.

8-4 isn’t bad for a team that cannot consistently run block or pass, has a weak Dline with almost zero pass rush, limited cover capability and is just plain undisciplined and disorganized.

Think about it - we have zero conference level stars outside of Ray Davis and he only feasts on lower tier teams.

We have no stars on D - literally none - would any of our players start for a team above us in the standings - I don’t think so.

With all that negative, 8-4 is pretty good.

8 - 4 in SEC is a decent season. Small twist 8 - 4 with a good recruiting class to build for the future is a good season.

Reactions: maroon79
I’d be ok with 8-4 .. finishing up with 2 SEC road wins and a W over a pretty highly ranked Lil Bro .. yeah the 4 losses contained enough ugliness to not like it , but 8-4 is 8-4 . I’m not saying we shouldn’t strive to be far better in big games , but finishing strong would be nice

Reactions: CrimsonCats
So your claim is they only hired Jerry Claiborne because they love bb and didn't want fb to succeed? Howard was always a bit shady and coming off the Curci probation they wanted the cleaner reputation who also was proven to be a damn good coach.
To each their own...HUGE mistake not hiring HS!

Not what I expected or hoped for, but ending with two good road wins would make it acceptable. Regardless, '24 needs to be better if the program is sustainable.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
This is kinda where I'm at. 8-4 regular season was my best guess before the season, and if we win our bowl game, 9-4 looks pretty good overall. We should keep some momentum. However, I don't like how the mechanics of the program are looking now with a snail-paced offense and a shoddy, uncreative, and not fundamentally sound defense. Better coaching and a more prepared team would've probbaly won us two more games.
I never played football. So when I can predict two out of three plays we are in trouble .
at Missouri game I knew a fake punt was coming . Screaming it .
later on when I saw one defender with no man to block him I was screaming call time out. Of course they sacked Leary. Clear shot no one to block him.
It seems to me out coaches should spot these things . And be a little less predictable on offense .

• Love
Reactions: entropy13
This is just stupid. Striving for greatness is obviously a good thing. Crapping all over the coach every time things don't go to your liking is not. Thinking you can just demand things is really dumb though.
I haven’t crapped all over the coach. I know the coach a little bit. Doesn’t mean he’s taking the next step. Neither you nor I can demand change and actually have the power to create it but opinions are what we can and will do. You seem to want your opinion. Now if you can’t have a conversation without “ this is really stupid and this is dumb” then have a nice day and happy holidays to you and yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT