ADVERTISEMENT

If the Louisville job comes open as many assume it will...

Shaka Smart and Anthony Grant are interesting candidates heading into carousel season.

Both are currently on path to dance and overall kind of having career resurgences.

Grant sniffed 30 wins covid year but no chance to dance due to post season canceled. Might sniff around that again this season.

Shaka is going on 2 consecutive years of sniffing 30 dubs. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 46. Has damn near 350 wins as HC. Really just now entering his coaching prime.
Personally I never understood the Shaka hype.

Reactions: entropy13
If Louisville strikes out on Wright, Beard, Cronin and the Coaches we assume they will go after, I wonder if they would look at Mark Pope.
Young up and coming Coach. His BYU team beat Kansas at Kansas tonight.
I hope he never ends up there. He did a great job as a player when he was here. I am afraid he would do well there.
I would guess that if Pope wants to move on from BYU, he'll have better offers than U6. I think it's going to take a long while for the stench to wear off of the Dirty Birds.

Reactions: westerncat
They need to look at Starkville. Good coach. Doesn’t need great players to be successful. Could be a quick turnaround

Reactions: deep3
BYU is a different college, a different coaching gig, than any other in the country. Just how many top 50 level LDS coaches could there possibly be? I don’t see either Pope or BYU trying to move on from that setup any time soon.

Smart and Grant probably had their struggles with all the politics and hands in the honey pot at Power 4 level school. Louisville athletics was a cesspool not too long ago and may still be, so I don’t see either of them doing well there or even wanting to attempt it.

If Louisville strikes out on Wright, Beard, Cronin and the Coaches we assume they will go after, I wonder if they would look at Mark Pope.
I hope he never ends up there. He did a great job as a player when he was here. I am afraid he would do well there.
What about Oats? Oats is a 2024 version of Pitino

Young and upcoming? I'm pretty sure Mark Pope is 50 at the very least. Not exactly young.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If UofL wanted someone to right their ship and stabilize the program while being moderately successful, they could do well with someone like Greg McDermott. He has done a really good job at Creighton and that's not a huge destination program for talent.

Reactions: Fox2monk
My only sources are 3 past UL players that still live in Jefferson County... They are pushing for Will Wade... and from what I have been told their is interest. The fan base isn't but could be very interesting. Besides his shady past I honestly think that would be the best hire for them.
Better be a strong ass offer

I met Kenny Payne once and he was a really nice guy. I can’t stand Louisville’s sports programs but I hate it for him that it’s went so bad. I hope whoever their next coach is, that it’s a coach I dislike lol

I imagine his wife being like Molly Shannon’s character in Talladega Nights.
that's pretty funny and I can see that

While I think Marshall would be good choice, he doesn't strike me as someone who could handle the pressure to beat UK every year - of course, unless he does it, then he'd be an insufferable prick to UK fans.

At the same time UL is going to go thru some growing pains. The ACC, the conference they pride themselves for being a part of (and cannot see they are an embarrassment to) will be relegated to CUSA status in a few years thru conference alignments. Depending if they stay or go, the job might get easier

Matt Jones said on KSR show yesterday that it will be Musselman.

I hate Mustyman. Hated his father. If Louisville hires him it will be their worst hire since Lawrence (Laurie) Apitz.

Let's just all chip in and buy this little clown a motorcycle and get this over with.

I am not a fan but Louisville is one of the better coaching jobs in the nation. It has everything you want or need to build a solid program. There will be much interest in the job and there will not be a lot of early pressure on an incoming coach.
It used to be. Their relationship with Adidas hasn’t helped their rebuild. The pipeline to the great players is just not there. And the portal hasn’t helped them either. For a program trying to regain its glory, it’s nearly impossible because these kids nowadays are about showcasing, winning and grabbing the spotlight. Louisville has added castoffs from other schools, mid level talent and some really unskilled players. Even in a down year in the ACC, they cannot compete. They need to worry about their program and quit trying to hire a coach to compete against Kentucky, because they are light years away from that happening.

I liken them to DePaul University. They may never be what they once were. You just can’t build a program like you used to, the good players will take the money and transfer, it’s an uphill battle and the last thing they need to worry about is their coach. It’s completely unfair to him, given the situation he walked in on. They need to start living for tomorrow and quit trying to relive the past. The past is what got them where they are today.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I don’t think the UK and Pitino ties make Mark Pope an attractive candidate for that job.
Yeah, I agree. They would have to be pretty desperate to go after Pope, and I wonder if Pope would be interested since he's a UK guy and it's Louisville. And why leave a program you've built to go to one in shambles?

What Louisville fans have to understand its NOT WHO THEY WANT BUT WHO THEY CAN ACTUALLY GET. They can throw out all the tops names they want to. however they will end up with a fired coach from another team that was a flop at another school. or a coach from a mid major, or probably an up and coming asst coach. however any coach going there now knows they got 2 years to get their team to the ncaa or they will be fired too.

Reactions: 59coop
It used to be. Their relationship with Adidas hasn’t helped their rebuild. The pipeline to the great players is just not there. And the portal hasn’t helped them either. For a program trying to regain its glory, it’s nearly impossible because these kids nowadays are about showcasing, winning and grabbing the spotlight. Louisville has added castoffs from other schools, mid level talent and some really unskilled players. Even in a down year in the ACC, they cannot compete. They need to worry about their program and quit trying to hire a coach to compete against Kentucky, because they are light years away from that happening.

I liken them to DePaul University. They may never be what they once were. You just can’t build a program like you used to, the good players will take the money and transfer, it’s an uphill battle and the last thing they need to worry about is their coach. It’s completely unfair to him, given the situation he walked in on. They need to start living for tomorrow and quit trying to relive the past. The past is what got them where they are today.
You may be right, but I think the right coach can put Louisville in position for a quick turnaround. There are too many examples of that happening. However, I am fine if they stay with Kenny Payne for the next decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT