ADVERTISEMENT

If the Louisville job comes open as many assume it will...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
If Louisville strikes out on Wright, Beard, Cronin and the Coaches we assume they will go after, I wonder if they would look at Mark Pope.
Young up and coming Coach. His BYU team beat Kansas at Kansas tonight.
I hope he never ends up there. He did a great job as a player when he was here. I am afraid he would do well there.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If Louisville strikes out on Wright, Beard, Cronin and the Coaches we assume they will go after, I wonder if they would look at Mark Pope.
I hope he never ends up there. He did a great job as a player when he was here. I am afraid he would do well there.
They would never allow a former UK player to be their coach

Yeah uhhh no. Maybe they can get Sean miller that’s about as good as it’s gonna get for them

Nope 2 Pope, we need him to prepare to take us over in a couple years.

Last edited:
At this point I would halfway like to see little brother hire Cal and us hire Rick again, because if nothing else that outcome would be unspeakably funny.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
At this point I would halfway like to see little brother hire Cal and us hire Rick again, because if nothing else that outcome would be unspeakably funny.
Funny you mention that, I was just thinking to myself I would not be shocked if Cal gets run off if he would take that job. Talk about heads exploding if he went over there and won a title and kick the shit out of us for 4 or 5 years before he retired.

I hope they hire Tubby. Or even rehire Pitino.

Shaka Smart and Anthony Grant are interesting candidates heading into carousel season.

Both are currently on path to dance and overall kind of having career resurgences.

Grant sniffed 30 wins covid year but no chance to dance due to post season canceled. Might sniff around that again this season.

Shaka is going on 2 consecutive years of sniffing 30 dubs. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 46. Has damn near 350 wins as HC. Really just now entering his coaching prime.

Shaka Smart and Anthony Grant are interesting candidates heading into carousel season.

Both are currently on path to dance and overall kind of having career resurgences.

Grant sniffed 30 wins covid year but no chance to dance due to post season canceled. Might sniff around that again this season.

Shaka is going on 2 consecutive years of sniffing 30 dubs. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 46. Has damn near 350 wins as HC. Really just now entering his coaching prime.
They are doing well where they are now but Anthony Grant failed at Alabama and Shaka failed at Texas

Big difference between "former coach" and "former player" when it comes to rivalries.
Is there? That’s news to me and I’ve been watching UK basketball for over 30 years. We hired a former U of L player to be assistant here. So there’s that too.

They are doing well where they are now but Anthony Grant failed at Alabama and Shaka failed at Texas
Grant’s ud team in 2020 was 29-2 and ranked #3 in the final ap poll behind gonzaga and kansas. they were playing great and were a legit threat to win it all with obi toppin until covid shut it all down. they have another solid team this year at 22-5.

Texas has made one run in basketball in recent memory with Kevin Durant and that was their first crack at it in half a century. They may be a big P5 school, but they don't care about basketball. Hell, they're supposed to be a "football" school and just now sniffed a title for the first time in over a decade.

Bama is bama. I wouldn't really hold that against Grant. They weren't going to give him the time of day during Saban's peak.

I'm not saying they're top of the list for real blue bloods, though I think Shaka gets an interview, but for UL or other similar middle class P5 programs I think they'd be solid candidates.

UL specifically needs somebody to come in and steady the ship. A lot of stuff has gone down in and around that institution and athletics program. KP walked into a mess so I don't really blame him.

I don’t think the UK and Pitino ties make Mark Pope an attractive candidate for that job.
My buddy went to uofl and graduated from their around the same time I did uk so a 2 years ago, and he seems convinced they ar getting one of 3 people. He said it’s musselman, then Jerome tang, then Cronin or porter moser

Thankfully not. I liked the dude a lot on staff but a head coach he is not.
This, and it's kinda sad to think that if Cal had up and left several years ago to one of the NBA jobs or UCLA or something, that Mitch would have probably considered him as a replacement.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t know that they will have the money to get who they want. They may have to find someone willing to take the job for 3 mil

Reactions: Emarc
My buddy went to uofl and graduated from their around the same time I did uk so a 2 years ago, and he seems convinced they ar getting one of 3 people. He said it’s musselman, then Jerome tang, then Cronin or porter moser
IMO, Musselman could be a good hire for them. He wouldn't be prime-Crum or Pitino, but he's had success in the recent past. I know his team is awful this season, but I think it's just a lesson to knock try and recruit the entire transfer portal.

If Kenny is let go after the season (and I believe he will ) I hope UL has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a coach.

Reactions: Stevo1951
IMO, Musselman could be a good hire for them. He wouldn't be prime-Crum or Pitino, but he's had success in the recent past. I know his team is awful this season, but I think it's just a lesson to knock try and recruit the entire transfer portal.
I've all but heard Musselman has been a done deal for a few weeks now.

• Wow
Reactions: westerncat
I am not a fan but Louisville is one of the better coaching jobs in the nation. It has everything you want or need to build a solid program. There will be much interest in the job and there will not be a lot of early pressure on an incoming coach.

My only sources are 3 past UL players that still live in Jefferson County... They are pushing for Will Wade... and from what I have been told their is interest. The fan base isn't but could be very interesting. Besides his shady past I honestly think that would be the best hire for them.

My only sources are 3 past UL players that still live in Jefferson County... They are pushing for Will Wade... and from what I have been told their is interest. The fan base isn't but could be very interesting. Besides his shady past I honestly think that would be the best hire for them.
If Wade get the job he may get UL in trouble again. That would be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT