ADVERTISEMENT

If Texas were to fire Shaka Smart. And if.

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Tony Barbee were to leave UK at the end of the season. Would you like to see Cal hire Shaka Smart as an assistant coach? He would bring Final Four experience to the table. And he could also help with the recruitment of Greg Brown. Would you be in favor of this or not?

Tony Barbee were to leave UK at the end of the season. Would you like to see Cal hire Shaka Smart as an assistant coach? He would bring Final Four experience to the table. And he could also help with the recruitment of Greg Brown. Would you be in favor of this or not?
Heck no. He’d try to position himself as Cal’s replacement.

AmazingLazyGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

Is there any history between Cal and Shaka? I might be wrong in this but it seems like Cal’s assistant positions are pretty well filled by “Cal’s guys.” No?

Reactions: kyboy1998
Once someone "fails" as a head coach, their personal brand is, of course, tarnished to some degree. If I was looking for someone to assist in recruiting at the highest level, I wouldn't choose a coach that just failed.

For a VERY short period of time, Penny was the best recruiter in the country. But his failure as a head coach has basically destroyed his personal brand.

Reactions: Fox2monk
To my knowledge, Shaka was a really good assistant (worked under Billy Donovan at Florida, didn't he?)

He had a ton of success at the mid major level at VCU, but like many other cases, it just didn't translate to the Power 5 level.

I have no issue with our current staff. But in the event Barbee or perhaps Justus get either a head coaching job somewhere, or an Associate HC position somewhere and we have a vacancy to fill, I wouldn't mind having Shaka at all. He's proven himself with respect to his value on a coaching staff, he's a likable guy, and recruits love his personality and energy.

In a perfect world, when the opportunity presents itself, a future vacancy on Cal's staff is filled by a former Cal UK player. I know most are playing professionally, but how awesome would it be to have a guy like Josh Harrellson, Tyler Ulis, or DeAndre Liggins on the staff after their playing days are over?

Shaka deserves more time.

No not in the least

We’re not getting Brown. That ship has sailed

I see more value in bringing in a former NBA "name" that can keep the UK NBA pipeline alive myself

This is the post I most agree on in this thread. We need someone with some name recognition by today's kids but also can coach, particularly some offensive schemes.

Is there any history between Cal and Shaka? I might be wrong in this but it seems like Cal’s assistant positions are pretty well filled by “Cal’s guys.” No?
I don't think Justus was a Cal guy as he plucked him from the HS ranks and I don't believe KP was either. Not saying we should go after a guy like Shaka, just don't think he only hires his guys.

No Never No Never. Just not a UK fit.

I'd rather bring Scott Rigot back.

He has great international connections.

Most likely a better recruiter than barbee, I’m not sure what barbee brings to the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT