ADVERTISEMENT

If Scott Drew is a desirable commodity and if Baylor sucks as a job, why is Scott Drew still at Baylor?

Jan 27, 2023
-This is one of several things that really bother me about the Drew possibility. Has any other school ever tried to hire him away? Also, if Baylor is such an awful school then you don’t go from Baylor to UK. You go from Baylor to somewhere like Ole Miss or Wake Forest or Stanford and then if that goes well you come to UK
-Next, I’ve read articles where media members or anonymous coaches were asked who they suspect runs a dirty program, but hasn’t been caught. Drew’s name is one of the first to come up.
-Next, next, you always…always, always, always keep public school and religion separate. I don’t see that happening with Drew. I’m a big proponent of keeping them separate, but even if not that, you’re asking for a lawsuit and A LOT of unnecessary and dramatic media attention
-Last, I think his success would be about the same as Tubby’s. I imagine if you mirror 15 years of Drew at Baylor with 15 years of Tubby at Georgia and Kentucky, the results will look about the same.

-This is one of several things that really bother me about the Drew possibility. Has any other school ever tried to hire him away? Also, if Baylor is such an awful school then you don’t go from Baylor to UK. You go from Baylor to somewhere like Ole Miss or Wake Forest or Stanford and then if that goes well you come to UK
-Next, I’ve read articles where media members or anonymous coaches were asked who they suspect runs a dirty program, but hasn’t been caught. Drew’s name is one of the first to come up.
-Next, next, you always…always, always, always keep public school and religion separate. I don’t see that happening with Drew. I’m a big proponent of keeping them separate, but even if not that, you’re asking for a lawsuit and A LOT of unnecessary and dramatic media attention
-Last, I think his success would be about the same as Tubby’s. I imagine if you mirror 15 years of Drew at Baylor with 15 years of Tubby at Georgia and Kentucky, the results will look about the same.

Because Baylor is a private Baptist school. Scott Drew sees himself as a preacher first and a basketball coach second. That's incredibly easy to do at a private Baptist school, it's not so easy to do if you go to a place that only cares about winning. So other places have certainly called him, he just didn't want to leave.

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered. The great thing is we can prepare champions for life. And that's a spiritual, academic, and character formation in athletics. So for us to be able to incorporate the spiritual part has been so key and paramount to all our success and He's blessed us."

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't...we will do coach's bible studies together and we start every meeting in prayer."

He also is hated for negative recruiting. They told one player they’d have him deported if he didn’t sign.

Because he sucks.

I will only add a couple of things. If you keep religion separate you should keep politics separate. When Cal had the team take a knee he lost a lot of big donors and about 75% of the fan base.

Of course I would much rather see a coach pray with his team than call them M-f’s on national tv.

As far as coaching Drew is far superior. Given UK’s tradition fan base and support he would be a great fit. In Texas he has to share the weakness with Texas, A&M, Houston, Tech, SMU
At Ky it is only little brother.

I am not arguing just pointing out a couple of things that were not mentioned.

Because Baylor is a private Baptist school. Scott Drew sees himself as a preacher first and a basketball coach second. That's incredibly easy to do at a private Baptist school, it's not so easy to do if you go to a place that only cares about winning. So other places have certainly called him, he just didn't want to leave.

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered. The great thing is we can prepare champions for life. And that's a spiritual, academic, and character formation in athletics. So for us to be able to incorporate the spiritual part has been so key and paramount to all our success and He's blessed us."

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't...we will do coach's bible studies together and we start every meeting in prayer."
We're screwed if that's the mindset he brings. Just win basketball games and go to Church on Sundays

We're screwed if that's the mindset he brings. Just win basketball games and go to Church on Sundays
I agree. I don't give two craps if the coach is religious, but I just want a coach who wants to win basketball games. If Baylor fan chatter is to be believed, when he loses him and the AD pray that next time they'll be blessed with a win.

The guy won a title in the weirdest year in college basketball history with the Covid tournament, and other than that struggles to get out of the second round. I don't care if he's done it at a lesser program or not, he's had that program in the upper level of college basketball for years now. Being at Baylor is no longer holding him back. He's not going to all of a sudden win his second round game just because he's at Kentucky.

I'm fully convinced he's going to be Tubby from 1999-2007 all over again.

I agree. I don't give two craps if the coach is religious, but I just want a coach who wants to win basketball games. If Baylor fan chatter is to be believed, when he loses him and the AD pray that next time they'll be blessed with a win.

The guy one a title in the weirdest year in college basketball history with the Covid tournament, and other than that struggles to get out of the second round. I don't care if he's done it at a lesser program or not, he's had that program in the upper level of college basketball for years now. Being at Baylor is no longer holding him back. He's not going to all of a sudden win his second round game just because he's at Kentucky.

The AD praying has me 2nd guessing. Wow.

The guy one a title in the weirdest year in college basketball history with the Covid tournament, and other than that struggles to get out of the second round. I don't care if he's done it at a lesser program or not, he's had that program in the upper level of college basketball for years now. Being at Baylor is no longer holding him back. He's not going to all of a sudden win his second round game just because he's at Kentucky.

He is better than every option not named Dan Hurley. Billy donavon is to much of a gamble

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
I'd rather take a chance on an up and comer like Golden or someone similar than have Drew.
Kentucky isn’t a up and comer job. I like golden but he needs to get 2-3 more years experience next. If Rick wasn’t 70 I would seriously be on board with bringing him back. After that beard is a POS person, smart is worse In The tourney than drew is, and after that I don’t know who Barnhart would even target

LoL

"Some say he runs a dirty program!!! Eeek!!!"

Hey bisch, you around 15 yrs ago? What everyone, EVERYONE said bout the guy we hired??

"he'll just be a Tubby repeat"

So you mean 10 yrs of winning and never losing in the 1st round & winning 1 title? After the last guy won 1 over 15 yrs?

Yeah, I'm old and mature enough to be happy seeing 1 more title in the next 10 yrs. But that's just me

🤮

That article didn't say anything about threatening to deport someone. However, that article made me think Drew actually has what it takes to succeed at Kentucky. The fact that Drew made enemies with Bob Knight and Rick Barnes on the recruiting trail tells me that Drew will do what it takes to win.

That article didn't say anything about threatening to deport someone. However, that article made me think Drew actually has what it takes to succeed at Kentucky. The fact that Drew made enemies with Bob Knight and Rick Barnes on the recruiting trail tells me that Drew will do what it takes to win.

1. Louisville literally tried to hire him a few weeks ago
2. Some writers and coaches threw some shit at the wall
3. Who cares we could use some more Christian values
4. If he wins a title in year 1 like Tubby sign me up
You realize that year 1 title would never have happened if there had been today’s transfer portal?

LoL

"Some say he runs a dirty program!!! Eeek!!!"

Hey bisch, you around 15 yrs ago? What everyone, EVERYONE said bout the guy we hired??

"he'll just be a Tubby repeat"

So you mean 10 yrs of winning and never losing in the 1st round & winning 1 title? After the last guy won 1 over 15 yrs?

Yeah, I'm old and mature enough to be happy seeing 1 more title in the next 10 yrs. But that's just me
Cal isn't leaving him a championship caliber team to get that title.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon

Yea, see, all of this is a problem

Baylor is a Baptist U.

You can figure it out. It’s not rocket science. Some people’s faith means more to them the other things.

I think Mitch has been burnt on up and comers and that option would never happen. Billy G was the hottest name in basketball and ended up being a flop. I don’t think Mitch is willing to take that risk. That’s why Drew is the perfect hire. He’s proven to have sustained success. We don’t have to win a title every year but we for sure like to be in the mix. Drew will keep us in the mix most years.

Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT