ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitno could have a redo:

A redo isn’t gonna make him magically start winning more games or championships. Most overrated coach of my lifetime, maybe ever. Got outcoached routinely and still does to this day. Passss….
No, as in, instead of going to Boston - just continuing at UK.

No, as in, instead of going to Boston - just continuing at UK.

And continue to not win for 28 years? No thanks. He was out coached in ‘97 that cost us a title and would have in ‘98 more than likely as well. Thank goodness Tubby was the coach in ‘98.

If he'd of stayed, he would be the coach that everyone would call one of the best of all times not Kenteuwaljadsljawfy9aoyski. He would have won multiple national championships...in fact I would go so far as to say we'd tied UCLA or gone ahead of them. The guy in his prime, was the best preparation, XS and OS, he was it.

Last edited:
I'm 45, and missed a lot of golden Kentucky basketball. But I wish our younger fans could've gotten to experience just how much damn fun Kentucky and Pitino were to watch. There's just no way to put into words want it felt like to see that press mixed with that offense, and the cast of players doing it. That friends, is Kentucky basketball.

For sure. They don’t get it and you can tell they don’t by how they view UK basketball. It’s pretty sad when your expectations are partly designed around Calipari’s full tenure. Just my o.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
Is this the first time he has publicly said it? I’ve heard people say he has said that in private, but can’t recall him saying it to the media.
He's said it many times. He usually qualifies it with something like, Had I known we wouldn't get Tim Duncan or some other kind of BS.

But I believe him. He would have stayed in that moment. But he would have left in a few more years anyway. He would not still be here coaching today.

Reactions: WeWant9
Im a Pitino guy I can’t help it. Grew up hating Calipari and was firmly camp Pitino, but I get it. I don’t know why the guy didn’t just take Michigan or something and wait for UK to come calling. I will always believe he wanted the job immediately and we said no because our brass was pissed he had one foot out the door the entire tenure and they were sick of it. I think his ego told him he can turn the state red and shove it in their face.

He learned the hard way.
I think you're saying that Pitino wanted to be rehired as coach at UK, maybe when Tubby left?

He's said it many times. He usually qualifies it with something like, Had I known we wouldn't get Tim Duncan or some other kind of BS.

But I believe him. He would have stayed in that moment. But he would have left in a few more years anyway. He would not still be here coaching today.
I tend to agree, he would’ve eventually ended up back in the NBA.

I think you're saying that Pitino wanted to be rehired as coach at UK, maybe when Tubby left?

Yea I just think he wanted it and couldn’t get it at the time (while tubby was here) Personal belief. I think Louisville was a slap in the face because they wouldn’t make the move. When he left it pissed people off, and I’ve spoke to Pratt about it and he said people in charge thought he’d just leave again. They were sick of the one foot out, one foot in tenure of his.

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
Is this the first time he has publicly said it? I’ve heard people say he has said that in private, but can’t recall him saying it to the media.
The closest he’s ever come to actually saying it is …. If I would have known I wouldn’t get Tim Duncan in the draft I might not have went to Boston.

Kentucky's legacy since Pitino left:
2 NCAA Championships
11 SEC Tournament Championships
5 Final Fours
11 Elite Eights
A SPOTLESS ethics record and generations of high-character kids we could all be proud of while UNC-Cheats, Kansas, Louisville and many others suffered through disgrace and permanent staining of their legacies as cheaters.

Would Kentucky have done better overall with Pitino before his obvious character flaws caught up with him and us? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
Imagine NIL in 1997.

McGrady signs with Kentucky but goes to college as a mult-millionaire.

UK signs Mouton in the Spring (37% three point shooter for Tulane his first year).

UK wins it all in 1998, only with more dominance (McGrady on that team allows them to compete for an undefeated season).

The next year, UK adds Yarbrough. With Mouton as a sophomore, and Pitino adding another shooter, the 1999 team's only weakness (shooting) is suddenly cured. They make the Final Four again in 1999.

Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Kentucky's legacy since Pitino left:
2 NCAA Championships
11 SEC Tournament Championships
5 Final Fours
11 Elite Eights
A SPOTLESS ethics record and generations of high-character kids we could all be proud of while UNC-Cheats, Kansas, Louisville and many others suffered through disgrace and permanent scarring of their programs as cheaters.

Would Kentucky have done better overall with Pitino before his obvious character flaws caught up with him and us? I doubt it.
You doubt UK would have done better? Really? The 1998 team would have been even better with Pitino because we would have also had Mouton for additional depth. That's a title in '98 and probably a Final Four the next year in 1999 with Mouton and more shooters.

Then you don't think Pitino could have won one more title from 1999 through 2024, when he did just that at Louisville?

I know you are a Calipari guy, but get real. There's no way you really believe that.

Pitino wouldn’t have done better than we have today had he stayed at Kentucky? I’ve heard it all, talk about wishing a result into existence.

Pitino would have killed it here by now. No question about it. Jeez what some of these cal guys make up in their minds lol.

You doubt UK would have done better? Really? The 1998 team would have been even better with Pitino because we would have also had Mouton for additional depth. That's a title in '98 and probably a Final Four the next year in 1999 with Mouton and more shooters.

Then you don't think Pitino could have won one more title from 1999 through 2024, when he did just that at Louisville?

I know you are a Calipari guy, but get real. There's no way you really believe that.

I love when they don’t want to give credit to Pitino for 1998. That’s my favorite.

Tubby, a guy who never made a final four outside of Slicks players, won with Ricks recruits, but no, Rick couldn’t have done that himself

No he doesn’t believe any of this or his post. He goes over the top to try and counter deficiencies in his logic. His preemptive method of defense is comical.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
In an alternate universe, after accomplishing his fourth title, Pitino solidifies a legacy second only to Rupp's and makes us opine on whether we should leave Rupp Arena for an on-campus arena named Pitino's Palace.

(The only downside is that in this universe we have fewer NBA All-Stars than in our current one.)

I wish he would’ve never left.
I really believe we would have passed UCLA by now.
Exactly and it’s funny how many people in here that shit on him. He’s the best coach in my lifetime and I’m 44. People in here act like they’ve never made mistakes…… They are full of shit if they say they haven’t!!!!!!

I'm 45, and missed a lot of golden Kentucky basketball. But I wish our younger fans could've gotten to experience just how much damn fun Kentucky and Pitino were to watch. There's just no way to put into words want it felt like to see that press mixed with that offense, and the cast of players doing it. That friends, is Kentucky basketball.
Like I posted above I’m 44. If I could like this post a million times I would this younger generation doesn’t know Kentucky basketball….. Pitino coached it like it was meant to be played in Lexington Kentucky!

He would have never left Kentucky. Could have been a 1,000 win coach here, multiple titles. Would be interesting to see that timeline.
Well duh, that should have been the easiest decision of his life. He would be Coach K by now. Instead he banged a chick on a table, had another title taken away, and got caught in an FBI sting.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak

That guy thinks he’s smarter than everyone else so you’d be surprised at what he believes. When times are bad he’s out of here like a fat kid in dodge ball, but when it’s good he’s on here gloating. Only thing he brings to the board that I agree with is his hatred for Indiana and Kansas.

Exactly and it’s funny how many people in here that shit on him. He’s the best coach in my lifetime and I’m 44. People in here act like they’ve never made mistakes…… They are full of shit if they say they haven’t!!!!!!
Nah. I know I am anti-Pitino-would-have-been-the-best precisely because he (he!) made the poor decision to leave UK. That’s on him. He was great for a short while, but so was Donovan and Wright. I’m not going to re-write Pitino’s legacy in his favor because he now regrets his bad decision.

Of course we all made mistakes, doesn’t mean we can’t judge Pitino by his mistakes. For me, it’s thanks for the 1 ship, Pitino. And that’s it.

I look at Piteener as a former UK employee who was well compensated for his work here. Not that it matters, but I go back to the Rupp's Runts era.

I was thinking the same thing. Although he's proven to be a despicable human being, I think he's the best basketball coach ever at U.K. Yes, including Rupp. And I go back to Hagan and Ramsey. Saw my first game in 1954.
I'm glad Pitino finally admitted that he made a bad mistake. Such admissions are often the beginning of a road to redemption.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
Yes, he would have left. He despised Kentuckians and his wife even worse. They couldn't get to Boston fast enough, especially her since she did all her shopping there.

Get lost. Tried of hearing about this chump.
He would have gone nutso had he stayed in Lexington. He was a time bomb.

Pitino has said, “My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot," Pitino said in 2011.
He was always looking.
I remember those days. Nowadays at the end of a season, the “will he stay or will he go” drama is about the players going to the NBA, but back in the day UK fans were on edge at season’s end about Pitino leaving us for the NBA. Before he left, he knew he either needed to make a long-term commitment to UK or leave on a high note , which would end the speculation year after year. https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/sports/1997/05/02/pitino-keeps-his-distance/50614998007/

I think he wanted to leave UK on a high, and he did, reaching two Championship Games in two years, with one Title. In his 6 post-seasons at UK, we went to the Elite Eight in all but ONE year, and the Final Four three times. He wanted to go out with a record the fans would fondly remember and revere. And we did. And then he took his chances with that legacy in the controversial decision to coach Little Brother.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT