ADVERTISEMENT

If Baylor and KU are the best two teams I feel pretty good

Baylor isn’t as good as anyone seems to think imo. I’m not worried about them at all.
Wasn't this their first game against a ranked team since becoming #1? Or was it the second? I can't remember I just know I heard that for a game in the past or this one. Thanks, KU. Now the most overrated team in the country the Zags will be #1.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
The only chance Azubuike has against Richard's is to get him in foul trouble. If he can't do that, Richard's will eat his lunch.

NR is in way better shape that Azubuike and will run him until his tongue his hanging out. Lol

Azubuike is gasping for air after every play!

Udoka is not gasping after every play. Also, we have played a tough schedule this year so it is not like Udoka has put together POY stats against scrubs. Toppin, Tshiebwe, Gillespe, Clark, Sims, Cary.

Reactions: UK90
I've never seen Garrett listed above 6'5". But, hey, why quibble, when I can post today's box score as the evidence:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401169753

As for you citing Enaruna ...a guy who didn't even get in the game and has only played scrub minutes ...LOL. I was talking about size that really matters, not benchwarmer size.

6'5 is taller than 6'3 (Hagans, Quickley, Maxey). Montgomery and Brooks don't need to be defended, because they can't score. Pressure Sestina with a 6'5 or 6'6 guard on the perimeter is just fine. If Montgomery, et al try to post up a guard, Udoka will simply block their shot.

Richards is a great player this year, but he is not at Udoka's level.

The Zags would beat the pants off either of these 2 over-rated teams. The big 12 is vastly over valued this year. I would say it is atrocious.

I think Azubuike (7') and McCormack (6 10) are a very strong front court. I think Azubuike's size is something that would be a huge concern for us. If he gets set in the paint, he scores. We haven't played against a guy like that.

McCormack has been relegated to a purely backup bench riding role. He only played five minutes today and that appears to be his role from now on ..only getting in when Udoka needs rest or is in foul trouble.

So, NO, they don't have the sort of imposing frontcourt you've been suggesting. Self seems to have settled on four guards surrounding only one big as the lineup he'll go with from here on out. Granted, that does include one really good big (Azuibuike) and a solid backup (McCormack), but it's still only one big you have to deal with at a time.

Last edited:
Well I watched part of the game and I wasn’t overly impressed. Two good teams certainly but nothing that blew me away. In years past there have always been that group of dominant teams at the top you felt would make a run in the tourney.

As has been said, it more wide open this year than I ever remember. Anyone who proclaims UK could not beat either of these teams is not being honest or reasonable. Also, I will always side with the team that is hitting their stride at the end of the regular season. If UK continues to trend in that direction, especially with regard to hitting their outside shots with confidence, I like our chances against anyone this year.

The beauty of this whole discussion is that
The NCAA settles this on the court. March Madness here we come!!

6'5 is taller than 6'3 (Hagans, Quickley, Maxey). Montgomery and Brooks don't need to be defended, because they can't score. Pressure Sestina with a 6'5 or 6'6 guard on the perimeter is just fine. If Montgomery, et al try to post up a guard, Udoka will simply block their shot.

Richards is a great player this year, but he is not at Udoka's level.
Udoka cant hit a jumper or a free throw. Give me Nick any day of the week.

The Zags would beat the pants off either of these 2 over-rated teams. The big 12 is vastly over valued this year. I would say it is atrocious.
I disagree. Kansas and Baylor and VERY good teams. You dont win 23 in a row with luck

Richards is prob the best offensive post guy and Udoka is the best defender, or right with Tilmon. It’d be a good matchup.

You forgot a name. The best center in the country is Luka Garza at Iowa. The rest are playing for second place.

But I'd put Nick right near the top of that second place race.

Last edited:
Reactions: gharding07
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wait for it... <a href="https://t.co/4COUyjsXXG">pic.twitter.com/4COUyjsXXG</a></p>&mdash; Kansas Basketball (@KUHoops) <a href=" ">February 22, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dang it, I didn't look to see who posted the video. The whole time I was watching Self's hair just waiting for it to fly off. Thanks for disappointing me.

I can't be the only one who thought it was coming lol.

Disagree. Neither one of those teams are great offensive teams and both are suspect from the line. Both shoot the 3 at about 34-35% as a team. Kansas can also turn the ball over quite a bit from time to time. Kansas is definitely more consistent than UK, though.
you may be saying this based on a couple games you have watched. Baylor's defense will make anyone look bad. the turnover issue is still there at times, but not like it was early in the year.
their offense is #9 in ken pom ratings, 9th in fg% and 6th in scoring margin. They are not a great 3 pt shooting team, but at 35.5%, they are still in the top 20%. that is more than enough offense when you have a top 3 defense.

McCormack has been relegated to a purely backup bench riding role. He only played five minutes today and that appears to be his role from now on ..only getting in when Udoka needs rest or is in foul trouble.

So, NO, they don't have the sort of imposing frontcourt you've been suggesting. Self seems to have settled on four guards surrounding only one big as the lineup he'll go with from here on out. Granted, that does include one really good big (Azuibuike) and a solid backup (McCormack), but it's still only one big you have to deal with at a time.
My view on it is mainly based on Azubuike. Again, we haven't seen a guy like him all year. He is a different animal and he would own the paint. He's a wider body 7 footer that is good enough to foul out our entire front court. We have seen it happen too many times to say it won't.

They are not the two best teams, they are the #1 and #3 best team.

My view on it is mainly based on Azubuike. Again, we haven't seen a guy like him all year. He is a different animal and he would own the paint. He's a wider body 7 footer that is good enough to foul out our entire front court. We have seen it happen too many times to say it won't.

The only guy I can even remember that even comes close to the size of Azubuike is Reggie Perry, but he is still about 25 pounds lighter and a couple inches shorter.

Reactions: kyjeff1
The only chance Azubuike has against Richard's is to get him in foul trouble. If he can't do that, Richard's will eat his lunch.

NR is in way better shape that Azubuike and will run him until his tongue his hanging out. Lol

Richards would have 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes if we played KU.

What I don't feel good about is our depth. We have 4 really awesome players but we have very little depth behind these guys. An injury here or foul trouble there to our big 4 in any game and we could easily be in trouble come the big tournament.

Every single game I watch I start the game worried that we will pick up a couple early fouls against our big 4 and they will have to sit out the rest of the half. It has happened to Nick and Hagans a few times already.

There are games against certain teams I almost wish we would start a couple of bench players and let them get hit with the ridiculously early fouls. Let us see how the game is being called before bringing in the key guys.

The only guy I can even remember that even comes close to the size of Azubuike is Reggie Perry, but he is still about 25 pounds lighter and a couple inches shorter.
That and Perry isn't close to Azubuike in the skill department. He is a better athlete, but Azubuike can carve good defenders up in the paint

@UK90
See what I mean? Florida doesn’t have a center anywhere near as big or talented as Azubuike, but we have 2 bigs in foul trouble, Brooks is scared to get in there and Richards has 2 fouls. Still 15 minutes left

You get a better whistle than Kansas at home. Your Kentucky brother posted the stats:

UK at home: Opponents are called for 5.5 more fouls per game and UK shoots 9.5 more free throws per game.
Kansas at home: Opponents commit 2.3 more fouls per game and Kansas shoots 6.2 more free throws.
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...ers-for-uk-and-other-notable-programs.316794/
considering Kansas is winning at the end 95% of the time, you would think they would be shooting more free throws than thst.

Last edited:

mcCormack was in foul trouble the entire game today. that is why he played 5 minutes. try to pay attention

LOL. this is hilarious.
you realize McCormack was in foul trouble today which is why Dok played more than 28 min.
this board is priceless sometimes.

Last edited:
i understand you all hate KU but come on. Lets use common sense and college basketball acumen

@UK90
See what I mean? Florida doesn’t have a center anywhere near as big or talented as Azubuike, but we have 2 bigs in foul trouble, Brooks is scared to get in there and Richards has 2 fouls. Still 15 minutes left

Richards gets away with a lot of traveling in the post. Shuffles his feet a lot.

Richards gets away with a lot of traveling in the post. Shuffles his feet a lot.

He uses both hands tho. He can pivot both hands. That makes it hard to defend. He doesn’t rush his shots either - play him tight he spins, both hands. Play off he his the J

His o game is advanced. You have to double him.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT