ADVERTISEMENT

If AI was coaching our team

Right. Reed and Rob are major projects. Surprised they get any run at all. Cal is so gracious.
You don't have to be a project to not have reached the potential the NBA is drafting them for.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

At this point it’s hard to argue against Caliparis approach. While it doesn’t seem logical to not start them, at the same time Edwards and Wagner might not have progressed the way they have which is really helping to create a lot of balance. I didn’t like it even until recently but the proof is in the pudding. March will let us all know if it was the right move or not.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
Well, heck my 1992 Compaq with 28 k of RAM and a whopping 40 meg hard drive could have told the same thing.

You can bet your bottom dollar Reed and Dilly would START!

Not come off of the PINE over where they been picking pine splinters out of they're BUTTS from being ignored by the person who is the so-called "COACH!" (That would be CCC!)

Watch it watch it.... You may be included with the coach Cal haters..... 😉

Cow and Barn Door... Gotta go....

Reactions: catzcan
It doesn’t bother me much when Reed/Rob don’t start, when they come in at like 17:30 on the clock.

It has bothered me when Cal thought the starters were cooking so he left them in until the 13 minute mark and threw off rotations.

It has bothered me when we had weird subs, like Burke coming in with Reed/Rob. You aren’t being treated like a 6th and 7th starter when you are inserted with end of the bench role players.

It bothered me when Reed was benched the second half at USC for…no discernible reason.

It makes me a little nervous when Cal rolls with the same starting lineup every second half, even when he already has a clear idea of who is/isn’t playing well.

I firmly believe that Cal’s bungling of lineups has cost us at least a couple of seed lines in the tournament. I hope that won’t bite us, but it usually does.

I know some believe Cal walks on water, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we haven’t had either a one seed or a Final Four in 9 years.

Not come off of the PINE over where they been picking pine splinters out of they're BUTTS from being ignored by the person who is the so-called "COACH!" (That would be CCC!)

"Whoah, whoah, whoah Dave.... cut that line and it's going to cost you!!!!!!!" 😂

Wait a minute, surely you are just toying with us! No way you took the CCC red pill. Be honest!

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

where they have been picking splinters out of their butts? They are getting plenty of minutes, just not the first 3.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
It doesn’t bother me much when Reed/Rob don’t start, when they come in at like 17:30 on the clock.

It has bothered me when Cal thought the starters were cooking so he left them in until the 13 minute mark and threw off rotations.

It has bothered me when we had weird subs, like Burke coming in with Reed/Rob. You aren’t being treated like a 6th and 7th starter when you are inserted with end of the bench role players.

It bothered me when Reed was benched the second half at USC for…no discernible reason.

It makes me a little nervous when Cal rolls with the same starting lineup every second half, even when he already has a clear idea of who is/isn’t playing well.

I firmly believe that Cal’s bungling of lineups has cost us at least a couple of seed lines in the tournament. I hope that won’t bite us, but it usually does.

I know some believe Cal walks on water, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we haven’t had either a one seed or a Final Four in 9 years.
Reed was a hot mess @ South Carolina. Cal took him out and Sheppard never asked to come back in. Cal even mentioned this, he said he ask Reed "are you good ?" There was a game after that where he struggled again, he went over to Cal and said "stick with me coach I am good." Cal let him play thru it because Reed responded to him. So Cal didn't bench him for "no reason", he could tell the kid was rattled and he never came back to the coach and said he was OK. It happens, he is very young tough road game in a hostile environment, everybody has an off game. Dillingham and Mitchell was the only 2 guys who had a good game, Reeves had 15 points, but it took him 18 shoots to get it (6-18). Cal loves and believes in Reed, he just didn't respond to him in the SC game, and Cal told Reed "let me know if you are OK" .

where they have been picking splinters out of their butts? They are getting plenty of minutes, just not the first 3.
But the point AI would make is that it is important to not fall behind at the start of the game and to dig a hole you sometimes cannot get out of. .

And if Reed and Rob are going To play 35 minutes it makes more sense to start them and give them a two minute breather about the ten minute mark in each half .

Does anyone know if there is any precedent for not starting your two best players ?
I don’t think Wooden, coach K, Jay Wright, or Brad Steven’s ever tried to do that . Correct me if I am wrong . If it’s such a good idea why havent any of the best coaches have done it?

Reactions: Eagles_Ball
They get more run than the starters! 🤦🏻‍♂️
That’s WHY it’s SOOOO strange they don’t start. That’s the point. lol The ONLY reason to start that lineup is stubbornness. Cal won’t admit to fans he was wrong. Two years in a row he has played his projects when the Bennies pointed out who should be playing by the numbers. Two years he has stuck to his guns and NOT made a change.

At this point it’s hard to argue against Caliparis approach. While it doesn’t seem logical to not start them, at the same time Edwards and Wagner might not have progressed the way they have which is really helping to create a lot of balance. I didn’t like it even until recently but the proof is in the pudding. March will let us all know if it was the right move or not.
Yeah it is working but March especially Madness means better teams, you fall behind early it’s much harder to catch up. I’d rather get a big lead and Coast, rest players but what do I know I’m just a beanie!!!

Reactions: crestcat and chroix
That’s WHY it’s SOOOO strange they don’t start. That’s the point. lol The ONLY reason to start that lineup is stubbornness. Cal won’t admit to fans he was wrong. Two years in a row he has played his projects when the Bennies pointed out who should be playing by the numbers. Two years he has stuck to his guns and NOT made a change.

Or $$$

Why don't we just ask AI?

Observe.

Prompt 1) As a big Kentucky basketball fan, please tell me why Kentucky's starting lineup is so successful?
  1. Talented Freshmen:
    • D.J. Wagner, a 6’3" freshman guard, is ranked No. 6 in his recruiting class. His versatility on both offense and defense makes him a valuable asset.
    • Adou Thiero, a 6’6" sophomore forward, is the only scholarship returner on the roster apart from Antonio Reeves. His experience and skills contribute to the team’s stability1.
  2. Antonio Reeves’ Return:
  3. Coach John Calipari’s Expertise:
    • Calipari has a history of building successful programs around talented freshmen. Despite the trend toward more veteran-oriented college basketball, he continues to mold young players into a cohesive unit.
    • His coaching acumen and ability to develop talent contribute significantly to the team’s success.
  4. Depth and Youth:
    • The Wildcats have an abundance of new players, including eight scholarship freshmen. While this youth presents challenges, it also brings fresh energy and potential.
    • The mix of experienced returners and promising newcomers creates a balanced roster.
In summary, Kentucky’s starting lineup combines talent, experience, and coaching expertise, making them a formidable force in college basketball this season

Prompt 2) As an ardent defender of letting basketball metrics dictate lineup, please explain which starting 5 for Kentucky's current basketball team optimizes offensive and defensive output

Certainly! Let’s analyze the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team’s current roster to determine an optimal starting lineup based on both offensive and defensive metrics. Here are the key players:

1. D.J. Wagner (PG): A talented guard with a scoring ability and playmaking skills. His offensive contributions can drive the team’s performance.
  2. Robert Dillingham (SG): Another guard who can create his own shot and has a scoring mentality. His shooting efficiency and defensive prowess make him a valuable asset.
  3. Antonio Reeves (SF): A versatile forward who can score from beyond the arc and defend multiple positions. His three-point shooting can stretch the floor.
  4. Justin Edwards (PF): A forward with good size (6’8") who can rebound, protect the rim, and contribute offensively. His defensive presence is crucial.
  5. Tre Mitchell ©: A graduate student with experience. As a center, he provides interior scoring, rebounding, and shot-blocking. His presence in the paint impacts both ends of the court.
Optimal Starting 5:

• PG: D.J. Wagner
  • SG: Robert Dillingham
  • SF: Antonio Reeves
  • PF: Justin Edwards
  • C: Tre Mitchell
This lineup balances offensive firepower, defensive versatility, and rebounding. Of course, game situations and opponent matchups may influence adjustments, but this starting five should optimize both ends of the court for the Wildcats.

Reactions: BBBLazing
Prompt 3) In a furious tone, make an argument for why Reed Sheppard should start for Kentucky this season

Listen up, Wildcats faithful! I’ve had it up to here with Coach Calipari’s cautious approach. It’s time to unleash the beast, and that beast goes by the name of Reed Sheppard. Let me break it down for you, and I won’t mince words:

1. Clutch Factor: Did you see that game against Mississippi State? Sheppard, the 19-year-old Kentucky kid, stepped up when it mattered most. Buzzer-beating runner in the lane? Check. Game-winning shot? Double check. That’s the kind of icy veins we need in the starting lineup. Forget the “experience” argument; this kid’s got ice water running through his veins! 1
  2. Scoring Machine: Sheppard dropped 32 points in that game. Thirty-two! And 23 of those came in the second half. He’s like a microwave – heats up quickly and scorches the nets. You want offense? You want buckets? Sheppard’s got 'em1
  3. Mr. Basketball: Let’s not forget he’s the reigning Mr. Basketball in Kentucky. That’s not a title you hand out like candy on Halloween. It means he’s the best high school player in the state. Well, guess what? He’s still the best – now in college1
  4. Dynamic Duo: Pair him up with Rob Dillingham, and you’ve got a backcourt that’ll make opponents lose sleep. They’re like Batman and Robin, but with better jump shots. Dillingham’s got handles, Sheppard’s got range – it’s a match made in blue-and-white heaven2
  5. Wagner and Edwards: Yeah, I know they’re supposed to be the stars. But let’s face it, they’ve been fumbling around like a bunch of kittens in a yarn shop. Sheppard’s the hungry lion waiting to pounce. Let him loose, Coach! 23
  6. Kentucky Pride: This kid grew up dreaming of wearing that Wildcat jersey. He’s living the dream now. You think he’s gonna settle for a spot on the bench? Nah, he’s hungry for glory, and he’s got the heart of a lion1
So, Coach Cal, stop playing it safe. Start Reed Sheppard. Let him light up Rupp Arena like a Fourth of July fireworks show. And if you don’t, well, I might just have to storm the court myself and demand justice for Sheppard!

Reed was a hot mess @ South Carolina. Cal took him out and Sheppard never asked to come back in. Cal even mentioned this, he said he ask Reed "are you good ?" There was a game after that where he struggled again, he went over to Cal and said "stick with me coach I am good." Cal let him play thru it because Reed responded to him. So Cal didn't bench him for "no reason", he could tell the kid was rattled and he never came back to the coach and said he was OK. It happens, he is very young tough road game in a hostile environment, everybody has an off game. Dillingham and Mitchell was the only 2 guys who had a good game, Reeves had 15 points, but it took him 18 shoots to get it (6-18). Cal loves and believes in Reed, he just didn't respond to him in the SC game, and Cal told Reed "let me know if you are OK" .
I understand that you’re acting as Cal’s propaganda minister by repeating his clownish explanation of this event, but if you actually believe his spin, I’ve got a wonderful bridge that would look perfect in your living room. I’ll even let you rent it.

And by the way, not even Cal has said that he asked Reed if he was good at USC. Cal decided that he wasn’t good, and later said that Reed needed to be the one to tell him he was good.

Playing winning basketball repeatedly down the stretch of games wasn’t good enough to help our 9 million dollar coach evaluate his player.

He screwed up by not playing Reed because he doesn’t like the fact that he needs to depend on Reed. Cal wants his legacy player, DJ, to be better than the Pitino legacy, Reed.

So Cal made up a story when things went completely wrong, and hung it around a player’s neck instead of owning it.

A 5 point halftime margin spiraled into our worst performance all year, and that was largely because of Cal not sticking with his guys. But yeah, our marketer in chief certainly deflected blame away from himself.

Last edited:
Whatever you say. I guess Reed is a liar also. IF some of you knew a third of what you THOUGHT you knew, you could maybe have a half ass decent chance to debate topics. But lack of facts and basing it on your OPINION will lose it for you every time. Maybe jump off that make believe bridge you have (just like your viewpoints), it would do us all a favor, probably even yourself.

Whatever you say. I guess Reed is a liar also. IF some of you knew a third of what you THOUGHT you knew, you could maybe have a half ass decent chance to debate topics. But lack of facts and basing it on your OPINION will lose it for you every time. Maybe jump off that make believe bridge you have (just like your viewpoints), it would do us all a favor, probably even yourself.
Well that was an intelligent come back. You just told me to kill myself?

That’s one way to win a debate, I’ll grant you that.

I think our record with and without DJ and with and without Reed starting destroys your agenda. Maybe come up with a better complaint?

Wasn't talking about DJ you goober.

Start DJ, shep, reeves, thiero and Z.

It gives the starting lineup more balance and still have Dilly, edwards, mitchell, Bradshaw and ugonna to play as reserves.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Well that was an intelligent come back. You just told me to kill myself?

That’s one way to win a debate, I’ll grant you that.
I did NOT. I said "jump off the imaginary bridge." One, the bridge is not real, two, I said jump, not die. People jump off bridges all the time and survive. Especially if there is water under it. You didn't specify that, and I didn't say die. You lose AGAIN. Anything else I can slap you around on ? Before you say I threatened violence, slap around meaning "beating you in a debate." LOL.

I did NOT. I said "jump off the imaginary bridge." One, the bridge is not real, two, I said jump, not die. People jump off bridges all the time and survive. Especially if there is water under it. You didn't specify that, and I didn't say die. You lose AGAIN. Anything else I can slap you around on ? Before you say I threatened violence, slap around meaning "beating you in a debate." LOL.
I’m not scared of you either way. What do I care if you threaten me?

LOL, nobody said, nor should you be scared of someone on a message board. YOU are the one who said I wanted you to die. Maybe sarcasm or a little poke at you gets you all up in your feelings, I do not know. My post was a comical response to your insecurity.

LOL, nobody said, nor should you be scared of someone on a message board. YOU are the one who said I wanted you to die. Maybe sarcasm or a little poke at you gets you all up in your feelings, I do not know. My post was a comical response to your insecurity.

You are hilarious. Should probably take a run at stand-up.

Prompt 3) In a furious tone, make an argument for why Reed Sheppard should start for Kentucky this season

Listen up, Wildcats faithful! I’ve had it up to here with Coach Calipari’s cautious approach. It’s time to unleash the beast, and that beast goes by the name of Reed Sheppard. Let me break it down for you, and I won’t mince words:

1. Clutch Factor: Did you see that game against Mississippi State? Sheppard, the 19-year-old Kentucky kid, stepped up when it mattered most. Buzzer-beating runner in the lane? Check. Game-winning shot? Double check. That’s the kind of icy veins we need in the starting lineup. Forget the “experience” argument; this kid’s got ice water running through his veins! 1
  2. Scoring Machine: Sheppard dropped 32 points in that game. Thirty-two! And 23 of those came in the second half. He’s like a microwave – heats up quickly and scorches the nets. You want offense? You want buckets? Sheppard’s got 'em1
  3. Mr. Basketball: Let’s not forget he’s the reigning Mr. Basketball in Kentucky. That’s not a title you hand out like candy on Halloween. It means he’s the best high school player in the state. Well, guess what? He’s still the best – now in college1
  4. Dynamic Duo: Pair him up with Rob Dillingham, and you’ve got a backcourt that’ll make opponents lose sleep. They’re like Batman and Robin, but with better jump shots. Dillingham’s got handles, Sheppard’s got range – it’s a match made in blue-and-white heaven2
  5. Wagner and Edwards: Yeah, I know they’re supposed to be the stars. But let’s face it, they’ve been fumbling around like a bunch of kittens in a yarn shop. Sheppard’s the hungry lion waiting to pounce. Let him loose, Coach! 23
  6. Kentucky Pride: This kid grew up dreaming of wearing that Wildcat jersey. He’s living the dream now. You think he’s gonna settle for a spot on the bench? Nah, he’s hungry for glory, and he’s got the heart of a lion1
So, Coach Cal, stop playing it safe. Start Reed Sheppard. Let him light up Rupp Arena like a Fourth of July fireworks show. And if you don’t, well, I might just have to storm the court myself and demand justice for Sheppard!
35 minutes ain't enough

Great coaching move to wear out a players legs before the tourney . Says no smart person

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT