ADVERTISEMENT

Ice Cubes Discussion

Ball ice is cool for the first month. Than you realize just how much easier it is to make a tray of large cubes. Same size as the sphere more or less.

Honorable mention to the ol' Lewis bag and mallet approach for crushed ice. That's next level.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Lineski - along those lines; A big, old school block of ice, and an ice pick, breaking off chunks of your desired ice is OG, and there is absolutely no better ice for "on the rocks"
It's incomparable for that application.
( and the whisky dulls the pain, as you're driving to get your tetanus shot, after you send that ice pick through the web of your hand)

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah you can get crazy with Ice. And you're right, large sphere and cubes will make for a stiffer drink, and sometimes that's good, and sometimes not so much.

Back when I was messing with mixology (when I didn't have a wife and kid), I was messing with various ice molds and trying to find a way to make clear ice. The only way to really do it from home, is to get a small cooler and use the Directional Freezing method.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
What is your favorite “cut” of ice? Cubes, crushed, pellet, shaved, ball, etc.

Personally I prefer ball. Preferably little balls. They don’t melt as fast and there’s nothing quite like the feeling of sucking on some balls. Ice balls that is.
Pellets and crushed

Scotch at 10:30 in the morning on a weekday, well 10:30 in the morning on ANY day is, well, it more than likely indicates a problem/a shit ton of baggage. LOL

Even "I" can't fathom THAT.
Listen, different places like the Keys have weird rules, work schedules and lifestyles. So drinking, even liquor at 10a is no big deal but drinking scotch that early ANYWHERE is a big deal, you’ve got way bigger problems than drinking if that’s where you’re at in life …UNLESS you’re 85+.

Listen, different places like the Keys have weird rules, work schedules and lifestyles. So drinking, even liquor at 10a is no big deal but drinking scotch that early ANYWHERE is a big deal, you’ve got way bigger problems than drinking if that’s where you’re at in life …UNLESS you’re 85+.

In these vacation destinations, it's almost normal to start boozing at breakfast. But at the same time you (generally), don't go hard all day. It's like you have a constant level of feeling good, all day. Instead of that mad rush of drunkenness when you start at 6pm.

Reactions: roguemocha
True, but again, scotch at 10a the stock market better have bottomed out or your wife left you for me or something, idk.

What is the kind that's kinda like a cube, but has an indention (for lack of a better term)?

Anyway. That's my ice champ. I lean toward any cut that will last a long time in the Yeti.

True, but again, scotch at 10a the stock market better have bottomed out or your wife left you for me or something, idk.

Oh for sure.. the only thing before noon would be like Mimosas or a beach tiki type of drink or even some scotch.

We’re on pace for a 13% decline in ice cubes by the year 2045. I guess what I’m saying is enjoy your precious little ice cubes while you can, rubes.
Comedy Central Summer GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Every once in a while I drop by the Circle K near my house for a huge Ale-8 with pellet ice and a Cow Tale. I probably wouldn't stop there if it didn't have the pellet ice.

134536-01_goetzes-mini-cow-tales-caramel-cream-sticks-candy-4lb-bag.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT