ADVERTISEMENT

I was wrong (again)….Heupel

C.W.S.pipesealer

All-SEC
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2010
I’ll eat crow once again. I must admit that the UT coaching search a few years ago in which 5 coaches said NO and ultimately yielded Josh Heupel gave me an unhealthy amount of joy. I thought UK had hit the jackpot with this scenario based on Heupel’s resume. Once again, I was wrong.

Heupel is proving to be a helluva hire and he’s showing real growth as a coach. How? He adjusts. Here’s a dude that’s hell bent on throwing the ball all over the field and did so last year with record setting success against SEC defenses. He then loses his stud qb, his top 2 WRs to the draft, and then loses his top WR this season to injury. So what does he do? He adjusts to his personnel and designs an offense built on the power run game to mask the the losses of those stud skill postion players while continuing to put pressure on opposing defenses with his signature break neck pace.

I think it’s likely that we’re seeing what will be UT’s least-talented offense of the Heupel era. He’s got QBs and WRs lining up to play for him. He has a staff of absolute junk yard dog recruiters. I think they’re gonna be a real problem in the SEC as long as he’s there.

I also think that offensive minded/aggressive coaches in the Kiffen/Heupel mold will always have the upper hand against a ball control philosophy team like Kentucky. Stoops is very lucky that we’ll no longer be playing UT every season based on the new SEC schedule format.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News