ADVERTISEMENT

I understood Pitino to Boston.

UL job made perfect sense. It was a basketball school, in a basketball state. He was looking for work, they were offering.

There was never any malice in the decision. We didn't fire him, he left. He wasn't looking to get at us in anyway. In fact, I think he liked the state, people, their passion for the game. It wasn't a "I'm gonna get UK..." type of deal like people make it out to me. It was more of a "This is a great place to coach basketball..." type of decision.

They're our rival, but nowhere near what some of the other big college sports rivalries are. Hell, the series went dormant for big chunk of history, and we didn't even play. Not in the same conference. Didn't and don't really compete for the same recruits, or types of recruits too often.

They weren't and aren't close to us in resume. He didn't go on some historical run there. He did great for them and put them back on the map.
I kinda agree with this. While it sucked, I always looked at it as a business decision he took UL and it wasn’t personal attack against UK.

I never understood him taking the U of L job. He knew first hand that only the Duke - UNC rivalry equaled the UK-UK rivalry. He could have easily taken the Michigan job and all would have been well. I think him being at U of L had some bearing on the demise of Coach Smith. We all were bitter and had reasons to be. Pitino self destructed when Cal came to UK. I am thankful Pope brought him back to mend fences. We need to honor Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal when he returns in January. All three brought us our only titles in the last 45 years. Time to show some class and move on. Coach Pope is pushing all the right buttons and hopefully this translates into on court success.
Not mention 70 million contract alot of money at that time

Reactions: cat tat2
I never understood him taking the U of L job. He knew first hand that only the Duke - UNC rivalry equaled the UK-UK rivalry. He could have easily taken the Michigan job and all would have been well. I think him being at U of L had some bearing on the demise of Coach Smith. We all were bitter and had reasons to be. Pitino self destructed when Cal came to UK. I am thankful Pope brought him back to mend fences. We need to honor Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal when he returns in January. All three brought us our only titles in the last 45 years. Time to show some class and move on. Coach Pope is pushing all the right buttons and hopefully this translates into on court success.
Ksr interview he stated he was at a low point in his life he was getting death threats from Boston fans and he signed with Michigan first then his wife told him he knew nobody in Michigan and he had alot of friends in kentucky so he took the Louisville job right or wrong it's over now forgive and move on right put your hands to the plow let the dead bury the dead

Rick thought he was so loved by Kentucky that the fan would come cheer for HIM at UofL… He’s got as big a head as Cal… He’s a great coach/better than Cal OMO… They both won Championships/yay!/made millions… Give’em a hand when they show up… Then whup their ass when they bring a team back👍👍

Maybe the early years Pitino was more humble and loving the job but he also thought he as bigger than uk before he left, remember his wife staying in NY cause ky just wasn’t good enough for her?? Then him taking the ul job was more than a jab, he peacocked around at our #1 rival then the comments along with that stupid tattoo he got. I am glad he’s turned 180 about uk cause he did not like cal being here. It’s good to see Pope mend that fence and Rick seeing that it’s better to be our friend vs foe. Way too early with cal, he’s got some humbling himself after all the comments and jabs he’s done over the last couple years.

Rick thought he was so loved by Kentucky that the fan would come cheer for HIM at UofL… He’s got as big a head as Cal… He’s a great coach/better than Cal OMO… They both won Championships/yay!/made millions… Give’em a hand when they show up… Then whup their ass when they bring a team back👍👍
Really! I think not.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Ksr interview he stated he was at a low point in his life he was getting death threats from Boston fans and he signed with Michigan first then his wife told him he knew nobody in Michigan and he had alot of friends in kentucky so he took the Louisville job right or wrong it's over now forgive and move on right put your hands to the plow let the dead bury the dead
This is how I remember it. He was interested in Michigan, but his wife, who previously had disdain for Kentucky, wanted him to come back.

Maybe the early years Pitino was more humble and loving the job but he also thought he as bigger than uk before he left, remember his wife staying in NY cause ky just wasn’t good enough for her?? Then him taking the ul job was more than a jab, he peacocked around at our #1 rival then the comments along with that stupid tattoo he got. I am glad he’s turned 180 about uk cause he did not like cal being here. It’s good to see Pope mend that fence and Rick seeing that it’s better to be our friend vs foe. Way too early with cal, he’s got some humbling himself after all the comments and jabs he’s done over the last couple years.
We hired Rick and not his wife. So, I really don't care what his wife thought. It was Rick's job to handle that. Also, don't act like some UK fans weren't total jackasses in the way they treated the man every chance they got. It is unreasonable to think that coaches and players aren't going to give back as good as they receive to unruly fans when they deserve it.

I didn’t understand it, I mean I do from the fact of wanting the job to see if you can coach the best but Pitino is not wired for the pro game. He needs complete control over his team and you can’t do that in the pros. They won’t run after making a mistake. They don’t like micro managing.
When Pitino took the Celtics job, the Boston Celtics became the favorite NBA team for a lot of BBN fans. Then he took the Louisville job & burned a lot of bridges. I'm so glad that he's now 100% back in the good graces of the BBN. It sure feels good to have him back.

Difference between Pitino and Cal's departures.....Pitino left the program on a high note. Cal, well.....

We hired Rick and not his wife. So, I really don't care what his wife thought. It was Rick's job to handle that. Also, don't act like some UK fans weren't total jackasses in the way they treated the man every chance they got. It is unreasonable to think that coaches and players aren't going to give back as good as they receive to unruly fans when they deserve it.
I’m sure there were unruly fans but he was paid millions to coach and be above that but yet he fed off it at ul & made comments of his own over the years. Why would you care what a few fans say when you know the majority were not that way??? Ego is why and he & cal were so alike in that then when you fire back and you’re that high profile……bad look and then continue to jab at uk while he was at ul. I used his wife as an example of when he was here & how he always seemed to entertain other options a lot of off seasons until he finally went to Boston. Rick brought alot of the strife on himelf over the yrs, I’m not going to give him a pass for it either. I’m glad he’s back being the old rick but to act like he was some kind of saint while he was gone & left where he did no wrong is completely a joke as well.

I’m sure there were unruly fans but he was paid millions to coach and be above that but yet he fed off it at ul & made comments of his own over the years. Why would you care what a few fans say when you know the majority were not that way??? Ego is why and he & cal were so alike in that then when you fire back and you’re that high profile……bad look and then continue to jab at uk while he was at ul. I used his wife as an example of when he was here & how he always seemed to entertain other options a lot of off seasons until he finally went to Boston. Rick brought alot of the strife on himelf over the yrs, I’m not going to give him a pass for it either. I’m glad he’s back being the old rick but to act like he was some kind of saint while he was gone & left where he did no wrong is completely a joke as well.
It is amazing how some people are so quick to judge others for their responses when under attack by others. As I previously stated, it is ridiculous to think that coaches and players should be ok with being disrespected just because of their status, salary, or position.

He took the best college job available. End of discussion.
Yeah, but I think he was expecting UK fans to accept him at Louisville, like that UK fans would support him as the Louisville coach, but that was never gonna happen. I understand Louisville was the best job available at the time, but he should have known he would be hated. I would have been happy for him at 99% of other schools, but not UofL.

Having said that, I was really happy for him at Big Blue Madness. I could see him tearing up and that it meant a lot to him, and that meant a lot to me as well. Good for him and good for Pope making that happen. That was great for all of us.

I never understood him taking the U of L job.the He knew first hand that only Duke - UNC rivalry equaled the UK-UK rivalry. He could have easily taken the Michigan job and all would have been well. I think him being at U of L had some bearing on the demise of Coach Smith. We all were bitter and had reasons to be. Pitino self destructed when Cal came to UK. I am thankful Pope brought him back to mend fences. We need to honor Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal when he returns in January. All three brought us our only titles in the last 45 years. Time to show some class and move on. Coach Pope is pushing all the right buttons and hopefully this translates into on court success.
He knew about it but he clearly did not understand it.

I understood his move to U of L. I know Rick knew the fans have a huge rivalry. But he never had ill will toward Denny Crum and dominated the rivalry while at UK. I think when he was offered 3 choices Michigan, UNLV, or Louisville he chooses Louisville to get as close as he could to what he loved the most and that is Kentucky Basketball. He just underestimated Kentucky fans hatred toward UL.

I think he thought he would be closer to what he loved so much in Kentucky, and he only had to cross paths with UK once a year and then compete in different conferences.

He knew he made a mistake leaving UK. He never could right than mistake. If he had not gotten stary eyed about leading the Celtics NBA Championship and being the coach to win both an NCAA Championship and an NBA Championship and stayed. He would have easily won 4 to 5 Championships and been seen in the same likeness as Rupp. Like Saban and the Bear in Alabama. He would have been able to retire on his terms and went out like Coach K at Duke. He just could never fix that one mistake. He has spoken about it numerous times.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don't think Pitino was going to stay at UK even if the Celtics hadn't come calling. He flirted with NBA openings almost every year.

Reactions: UKortho
No. Michigan, UNLV, Tennessee were also open. Michigan, it could be argued was in a better position back when he took the loserville job.
Pitino was also starting to get involved with horses at the time. Would you rather live in Ann Arbor or Louisville? I would rather live in Louisville, not that Ann Arbor is terrible or anything.

Pitino was also starting to get involved with horses at the time. Would you rather live in Ann Arbor or Louisville? I would rather live in Louisville, not that Ann Arbor is terrible or anything.
I concur in the context of a new horse owner but I still think Michigan (Nike school) in the Big 10, fixing what Amaker broke, was a better opportunity at that time than replacing legendary Denny Crum would've been at Louisville (Adidas school).

I kinda agree with this. While it sucked, I always looked at it as a business decision he took UL and it wasn’t personal attack against UK.
I don’t think it was a personal attack, but he knew as well as anyone what it meant to UK fans for him to accept that position.

Of course. Like I said it was the logical choice but man that was like “screw you rick”.

Social Media wasn’t as big then either so it was hard to know the circumstances going on so to a lot of us it looked lit he took that job out of pure spite.

I’m glad Cal was able to smack him around though. Can you imagine the crap talk if he wasn’t able to handle Rick most years?
I think people underestimate the reason he chose U of L. If the UK job was open he would have been here in a heartbeat.
While at UK, Rick began dabbling in the horse racing industry. He made good friends in it. Business ties. He still owns horses today. He probably came back because Keenland was in session to begin with.
I believe he chose Louisville because of his connection to the racing industry. He wanted to come back to Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT