ADVERTISEMENT

I understood Pitino to Boston.

UL job made perfect sense. It was a basketball school, in a basketball state. He was looking for work, they were offering.

There was never any malice in the decision. We didn't fire him, he left. He wasn't looking to get at us in anyway. In fact, I think he liked the state, people, their passion for the game. It wasn't a "I'm gonna get UK..." type of deal like people make it out to me. It was more of a "This is a great place to coach basketball..." type of decision.

They're our rival, but nowhere near what some of the other big college sports rivalries are. Hell, the series went dormant for big chunk of history, and we didn't even play. Not in the same conference. Didn't and don't really compete for the same recruits, or types of recruits too often.

They weren't and aren't close to us in resume. He didn't go on some historical run there. He did great for them and put them back on the map.
I kinda agree with this. While it sucked, I always looked at it as a business decision he took UL and it wasn’t personal attack against UK.

Reactions: cat tat2
I never understood him taking the U of L job. He knew first hand that only the Duke - UNC rivalry equaled the UK-UK rivalry. He could have easily taken the Michigan job and all would have been well. I think him being at U of L had some bearing on the demise of Coach Smith. We all were bitter and had reasons to be. Pitino self destructed when Cal came to UK. I am thankful Pope brought him back to mend fences. We need to honor Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal when he returns in January. All three brought us our only titles in the last 45 years. Time to show some class and move on. Coach Pope is pushing all the right buttons and hopefully this translates into on court success.
Not mention 70 million contract alot of money at that time

I never understood him taking the U of L job. He knew first hand that only the Duke - UNC rivalry equaled the UK-UK rivalry. He could have easily taken the Michigan job and all would have been well. I think him being at U of L had some bearing on the demise of Coach Smith. We all were bitter and had reasons to be. Pitino self destructed when Cal came to UK. I am thankful Pope brought him back to mend fences. We need to honor Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal when he returns in January. All three brought us our only titles in the last 45 years. Time to show some class and move on. Coach Pope is pushing all the right buttons and hopefully this translates into on court success.
Ksr interview he stated he was at a low point in his life he was getting death threats from Boston fans and he signed with Michigan first then his wife told him he knew nobody in Michigan and he had alot of friends in kentucky so he took the Louisville job right or wrong it's over now forgive and move on right put your hands to the plow let the dead bury the dead

Rick thought he was so loved by Kentucky that the fan would come cheer for HIM at UofL… He’s got as big a head as Cal… He’s a great coach/better than Cal OMO… They both won Championships/yay!/made millions… Give’em a hand when they show up… Then whup their ass when they bring a team back👍👍

Maybe the early years Pitino was more humble and loving the job but he also thought he as bigger than uk before he left, remember his wife staying in NY cause ky just wasn’t good enough for her?? Then him taking the ul job was more than a jab, he peacocked around at our #1 rival then the comments along with that stupid tattoo he got. I am glad he’s turned 180 about uk cause he did not like cal being here. It’s good to see Pope mend that fence and Rick seeing that it’s better to be our friend vs foe. Way too early with cal, he’s got some humbling himself after all the comments and jabs he’s done over the last couple years.

Yes his fund raising was great for the state, no question.
His damages to the basketball program is a different story, as is his disgust for the fans. So glad he is gone
Cal isn't the first person to sprinkle in some good in an attempt to mask his bad/crap.

Rick thought he was so loved by Kentucky that the fan would come cheer for HIM at UofL… He’s got as big a head as Cal… He’s a great coach/better than Cal OMO… They both won Championships/yay!/made millions… Give’em a hand when they show up… Then whup their ass when they bring a team back👍👍
Really! I think not.

Ksr interview he stated he was at a low point in his life he was getting death threats from Boston fans and he signed with Michigan first then his wife told him he knew nobody in Michigan and he had alot of friends in kentucky so he took the Louisville job right or wrong it's over now forgive and move on right put your hands to the plow let the dead bury the dead
This is how I remember it. He was interested in Michigan, but his wife, who previously had disdain for Kentucky, wanted him to come back.

Maybe the early years Pitino was more humble and loving the job but he also thought he as bigger than uk before he left, remember his wife staying in NY cause ky just wasn’t good enough for her?? Then him taking the ul job was more than a jab, he peacocked around at our #1 rival then the comments along with that stupid tattoo he got. I am glad he’s turned 180 about uk cause he did not like cal being here. It’s good to see Pope mend that fence and Rick seeing that it’s better to be our friend vs foe. Way too early with cal, he’s got some humbling himself after all the comments and jabs he’s done over the last couple years.
We hired Rick and not his wife. So, I really don't care what his wife thought. It was Rick's job to handle that. Also, don't act like some UK fans weren't total jackasses in the way they treated the man every chance they got. It is unreasonable to think that coaches and players aren't going to give back as good as they receive to unruly fans when they deserve it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT