ADVERTISEMENT

I quit UK Basketball for about 8 hours.

Mike-D

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
WADD
And now I'm back.

First things first, I fully support our coach. Time to show out as fans for the press conference, and donate money for NIL.

I'm basically done with Mitch, but that's for another day.

Now go build a roster that can compete for a Final-4. I've heard our big donors are gonna get us around 8 million for the incoming portal class. Go do something with it.

And now I'm back.

First things first, I fully support our coach. Time to show out as fans for the press conference, and donate money for NIL.

Now go build a roster that can compete for a Final-4. I've heard our big donors are gonna get us around 8 million for the incoming portal class. Go do something with it.

If you would have stayed gone that would have made it easier for me. Im always getting tricked by your screen name and the one that I believe is Mike-McD or something like that 😁

Reactions: chroix and Mike-D
Everyone just needed to sleep on it. The board has become a whole lot more positive than last night. I to thought Mitch did a poor job with the hiring, but I still liked the Pope hire. I even mentioned I would be happy with Pope as the replacement during the season when I hoped Cal would ultimately get fired.

I don't feel like this is the usual iffy from the family hire like at other places that failed. Pope won a championship and played under possibly the best coach besides Rupp in Kentucky history. He was always energetic and spoke highly about what it meant to play here. I think he will refuse to fail here and hopefully be the 6th Kentucky coach to win a championship.

Last edited:
Those that wanted Cal gone, and I finally joined you after the debacle at the end of the season, got your wish. Mark Pope may not be our first choice or a "sexy" hire but he is now our head coach and I'm going to back him 110%. I think he will build a great program here if we just give him time to do it.

And now I'm back.

Stop being so emotionally attached. Very unhealthy. These players and coaches don’t know you and vice versa. They could care less about your “status” as a fan.

And now I'm back.

OK, so if Mark Pope works out and builds a title contender, will you still be done with Mitch?

And now I'm back.

Let’s go Mike! I knew you would be back with us. You didn’t agree with my thread/post earlier but I know you are with it. Let’s go.

Last edited:
it’s like quicksand, you die quicker if you fight it.

I was more angry about this last night than I have been anything in a long time…even counting some important stuff. Have no issue with pope and look forward to fam and friends making me eat crow later. Still baffled but this is out of my hands so I will try to enjoy having zero expectations next year. Will be interesting to see the pre season ranking. Feel like normally they over rank us early based on high school kids and then eat pop corn all winter as we plummet. They try that this year it’s on them.

Last night I was ready to just be done as well. My sports viewing is UFC, UK, NFL. Don't watch much else passionately. I all but crossed my beloved Cats off lost last night after Pope hire.

After sleeping on it an it sinking in. I love my alum . I went to UK I'm 96 when Pope was on team. I always liked Mark. I think it was a TERRIBLE panic hire cause IT WAS. However nothing I csn do about it but get behind new coach and be hoping he shocks us again by being a elite Coach.

it’s like quicksand, you die quicker if you fight it.

I was more angry about this last night than I have been anything in a long time…even counting some important stuff. Have no issue with pope and look forward to fam and friends making me eat crow later. Still baffled but this is out of my hands so I will try to enjoy having zero expectations next year. Will be interesting to see the pre season ranking. Feel like normally they over rank us early based on high school kids and then eat pop corn all winter as we plummet. They try that this year it’s on them.

Last year we started in the mid to high teens, IIRC.

shout out to r.kelly

I hope Mark does well here and I believe he will. One thing I know is that the cloud has been lifted and UK basketball will be enjoyable again. It wrings all the fun out of being a fan when the Coach is sitting there claiming that he doesn't even want to win. He should have been canned the first time he said it.

Stop being so emotionally attached. Very unhealthy. These players and coaches don’t know you and vice versa. They could care less about your “status” as a fan.

Wasn't talking to "players" or "coaches."

Was talking to some of the fans I've chatted with on here the last 22+ seasons.

welcome back Mike .. yesterday was a wild ride , we go from showering cash on Hurley to hiring Pope .. it took a while to set in , but our options were not that great . Some of the names thrown out were ridiculous .Pitino ? Pearl ? Oats was the only one that left me scratching my head .. we didnt seem to go hard after him , but maybe he was a hard NO , and there was no use wasting time . I think Pope might be a great hire . Players are easily bought these days , go buy some , Pope will come them up , and lets get back to Ky being fun . Arky can crash n burn in gasoline fashion

I believe there is a reason for everything that Mitch does and I feel like he leaked this and got this going at the wee hours of the night so everyone could vent and then wake up with a better sense about the situation.
Also bought him and the uk team to put stuff together about the hire.

Reactions: chroix
welcome back Mike .. yesterday was a wild ride , we go from showering cash on Hurley to hiring Pope .. it took a while to set in , but our options were not that great . Some of the names thrown out were ridiculous .Pitino ? Pearl ? Oats was the only one that left me scratching my head .. we didnt seem to go hard after him , but maybe he was a hard NO , and there was no use wasting time . I think Pope might be a great hire . Players are easily bought these days , go buy some , Pope will come them up , and lets get back to Ky being fun . Arky can crash n burn in gasoline fashion

I hope Arkansas enjoys the one and done model as much as we do.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I sure hope he gets this thing together quickly. I don’t think I’ll survive if we lose to Duke, Cal at Arkansas and UL next year. Gotta win 2 of those please for my sanity.

I’m glad some fans are figuring out that over reacted and were sounding like little spoiled children. The negativity does absolutely nothing good and makes the fan base look foolish.

I hope Mark does well here and I believe he will. One thing I know is that the cloud has been lifted and UK basketball will be enjoyable again. It wrings all the fun out of being a fan when the Coach is sitting there claiming that he doesn't even want to win. He should have been canned the first time he said it.

Yep. What was Cal’s next attempt at lowering the bar going to be, while cashing his huge checks? Figuring out the absolute minimum amount of wins needed for the NCAAT??? Then after losing (again!) the first game of the SECT… we’re on the bubble at 18-14.

“It’s a process. Kids aren’t robots. Built for March, baby!”

I’m ready… more than ready… for whatever Pope does next season.

And now I'm back.

Right there with you Bro

Reactions: KFuqua and Mike-D
I will give Pope the benefit of the doubt only because he is a UK guy. OTOH, I'm a Georgetown (Hoya) alum, and I thought Ewing was a solid hire. We live in interesting times.

• Haha
Reactions: catfaninJaxFL
We really don’t have much of a choice- but count me in. The low floor scares me to be frank. Better than Kal imo so that’s a big plus.
The floor hasn't been changed at all. Now, Vandy's is low. With BBN's support Pope will tend to fare better, and recruits will want to play here. Hopefully this crap with people taking up season tickets and just SITTING THERE will end with the bringing on of a coach who bleeds blue.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
We really don’t have much of a choice- but count me in. The low floor scares me to be frank. Better than Kal imo so that’s a big plus.
Is the floor really that low? BYU has had higher Kenpom rankings than we have for three of the previous five years. I think the floor is exactly where we are now. Pope can clearly coach and was winning just as much as we were with talent that was a lot worse. He was only getting players who agreed to sign a pledge to no longer drink caffeine. Get him some better players and I can't see the floor being low.

And now I'm back.

We'll never have to hear Cal's favorite expressions ever again. "I haven't seen him" "youngest team in the country" "they're not robots" "players first" pushing guys out to the NBA, and on and on. At least you've got that. Pope is not in any way at fault here, and I know you are aware of that. He hasn't won any NCAA-T games but he's shown he has basketball acumen and won 23 games this year (won at Kansas and vs Baylor) with a bunch of guys who had to sign papers about not having sex, not drinking alcohol, and doing a 2-year mission. So, he can coach. And he's all about the name on the front of the jersey, which is very refreshing. We just need to help him get a team on the court.

I wasn't happy at all at first, either. But I'm gonna support him. Go Pope! Go Cats! 😀

And now I'm back.

1 mil each to 8 good players. Boom.

Reactions: Mike-D
And now I'm back.

Yeah. Long night. But the sun did rise this morning. I am all in on Pope.

Is the floor really that low? BYU has had higher Kenpom rankings than we have for three of the previous five years. I think the floor is exactly where we are now. Pope can clearly coach and was winning just as much as we were with talent that was a lot worse. He was only getting players who agreed to sign a pledge to no longer drink caffeine. Get him some better players and I can't see the floor being low.

I wanted Kal gone. But Pope doesn’t have anything on his resume to justify this hire.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Everyone just needed to sleep on it. The board has become a whole lot more positive than last night. I to thought Mitch did a poor job with the hiring, but I still liked the Pope hire. I even mentioned I would be happy with Pope as the replacement during the season when I hoped Cal would ultimately get fired.

I don't feel like this is the usual iffy from the family hire like at other places that failed. Pope won a championship and played under possibly the best coach besides Rupp in Kentucky history. He was always energetic and spoke highly about what it meant to play here. I think he will refuse to fail here and hopefully be the 6th Kentucky coach to win a championship.
I guarantee if someone said after the Oakland loss that we could trade Cal for Pope right now the majoirty would have said let’s do it. It was just time for a change. Maybe not what we hoped but it’s not terrible.

I guarantee if someone said after the Oakland loss that we could trade Cal for Pope right now the majoirty would have said let’s do it. It was just time for a change. Maybe not what we hoped but it’s not terrible.
I think we will see fairly early if he is ready for UK.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT