ADVERTISEMENT

I never thought I would see the day when being mediocre in BB at Kentucky would be tolerated...

Blame the Athletic Director. The #1 thing that should come from today's meeting is it should be relayed to both Barnhart and Calipari-this is it for BOTH of you. This program doesn't show improvement and growth, you BOTH are gone and the new AD will be making the new HC hire.

Say this realizing Barnhart supposedly made a great Women's Basketball hire. That doesn't bring in revenue so I don't care. Or this guy better find a Caitlyn Clark if he's going to move the needle but Barnhart needs Stoops to do something this Fall other than being mid after some false promise, and Cal to do something in Postseason.

That contract extension is why this program is where it is and Barnhart is equally responsible for this mess.

Haha, how old are you? Must not have been a fan through the Tubby years. They didn't call him 10 loss Tubby (mediocre) for nothing.
Tubby won 130 games his last 5 years. Tubby NEVER lost in the first round. Tubby NEVER went to the NIT.
Cal has won 105 games his last 5 years. Cal has gone out in the first round TWICE. Cal has been to the NIT TWICE.
If Tubby was mediocre....Cal sucks AZZ.

I remember thinking a S16 was a bad year lol. Hard to believe the last one we were in was 2019- I think 2020 would've got there too; but didn't get the opportunity.

Last edited:
When people thought it was a good idea to hire an outsider for AD that cared more about the football program has been a mistake imo. I guess they thought the basketball program would take care of itself, but if you neglect something it will go downhill. I know some people dislike C.M. Newton for whatever reasons but he hired 2 of the most exciting coaches in my lifetime (Basketball and football) I know Mumme got into trouble but he was an innovator and brought a lot of excitement to football. We all know what Pitino did here. He was UK alum and he really cared. I think the program misses that kind of AD

Haha, how old are you? Must not have been a fan through the Tubby years. They didn't call him 10 loss Tubby (mediocre) for nothing.
Last 4 years of each

Tubby 99-36...... 7 SEC tournament wins ... 6 NCAA tournament wins

Cal 80-44 .... 1 SEC tournament win ... 1 NCAA tournament win

Tubby never got close to being as bad as Cal has the last 4 years.

No UK coach ever has had a stretch this bad nor would be allowed to.

We have really lowered the standard. Looks like Cal will be back so yes. I will be watching next year but I expect nothing in the postseason any more. And I guess that's ok with the powers that be. Sad.
I fully agree, both with the title of this thread and with your post, Uncle Adolph. The present state of the formerly preeminent U.K. basketball program is nothing short of unbelievable ! ! ! CCC is the personification of contentment among the mediocre ! As you said ... sad, indeed !

Reactions: Catfan2226
You must be the one who isn't very old. Up until about 2 years before he left, we were the winningest team in college basketball for several years running. Sure - we didn't make Final Fours during that stretch, but nobody was winning more than us.

People lose ALL credibility when they bash Tubby as a reason to keep Cal. Back then, our standards hadn't yet eroded like they have under Cal. People were mad at the results that were FAR better than Cal has given us for years now. But we've gotten used to it so the anger isn't as much if you can believe that.

Last edited:
Looking forward to another 22-10 kinda season. Drop a couple of early-season home games to teams we should run by 50. Lose five or six games in the SEC, battle for one of the top 4 spots, only to be eliminated on Friday night of the SEC Tournament. It's ok though because the boys will have a few extra days rest to get ready for the big tournament as a 6 or 7 seed. Maybe we'll advance out of the first weekend next year! Who knows? We're either going to win, or we're going to learn.

Man the truth hurts like hell
Tubby was not a good recruiter, don’t know what his classes were ranked, but his teams were hard nosed and consistent in their play. He was an excellent out of a timeout. He would call a play and his guys executed and usually scored. Took Pitino’s players and won the NCAA championship in 1998. He is not given enough credit for his leadership that year, IMO. That team did not quit and were even keeled no matter the score - very mature. Different era when you kept your team intact year to year.

Kalipari, I have been spelling it wrong for years (thanks Lex Herald) had probably the best stretch of years in UK history until 2015. I read an article where unnamed staffers stated that the Wisconsin game broke COW and the next season the vibe was completely different. Known for being a great recruiter, I disagree, but not an X and O guy like Tubby. The facts are that is winning % and tournament resume the past 5 years are the worst of any coach of the past 40+ years. Vowed to change after the 9-16 season but I have not noticed anything different. To me, it is a no-brainer to let him go. Actually his teams seem to perform similarly despite the level of talent on hand. This year’s team was built up as the one that was going to go far in the NCAA tournament but performed similar to the previous 4 seasons. I don’t listen to COW rambling, he will say anything except, I am to blame. I am done, he does not deserve another year - he is stealing money. Only thing he should be applauded for is hiring a great agent to fleece the UK brass to giving the outlandish contract. That was a hall-of-fame like move

We have really lowered the standard. Looks like Cal will be back so yes. I will be watching next year but I expect nothing in the postseason any more. And I guess thats ok with the powers that be. Sad.
The only ones who understand our tradition down to the bone marrow is the FANBASE. Those in "control" are all carpetbaggers ... here just rationalizing away why it's OK to just look the other way and continue getting paid with pay raises on the way and the Program burns to the ground.

Wow, tell everybody you are a member of the Cal boys without telling us you are a member of the Cal boys.

FYI.
Tubby had 5 ten loss seasons in his ten years here.
Cal has 6 ten loss seasons in his last 12 years here.

And we never had to worry about 14 and 15 seeds when Tubby was coaching.

Reactions: cathead64
Folks, lets get excited! Next year we're gonna have no scoreboard/no feelings nights at home games along with surprise nights where we forfeit a game to a less fortunate mid major..........we may lose anyway. During two of our non conference games, the thousandth person into the arena.............if that many come, will receive a token to meet cow with the boys at half in the locker room for poetry readings and how to get in touch with your emotions on a deeper level. And, to top it off, generational poverty workshops for everyone before and after our loss.

We have really lowered the standard. Looks like Cal will be back so yes. I will be watching next year but I expect nothing in the postseason any more. And I guess thats ok with the powers that be. Sad.
Nobody did but that’s what happens when your AD is incompetent and hands out the dumbest contracts imaginable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT