ADVERTISEMENT

I kinda think this hurts the ego

Jun 11, 2008
Stoops is now set to make $8.6 million per season plus his $400,000 base salary which puts him at $9 million per season.

When the raise takes effect in February 2023, Stoops will be making more than men’s basketball head coach John Calipari who will make $8.5 million this seaso

Stoops is now set to make $8.6 million per season plus his $400,000 base salary which puts him at $9 million per season.

When the raise takes effect in February 2023, Stoops will be making more than men’s basketball head coach John Calipari who will make $8.5 million this seaso

Can we all agree that neither of these dudes is worth $9 million a year? FFS

And as nauseating as I find Calipari anymore… at least he won a title. Stoops hasn’t even won the SEC EAST. Mitch is an idiot.

Just because Stoops failed miserably this season you don’t have to take your frustration out on Calipari, take this crap to the football side and discuss with the rest of the disappointed football fans. We are trying to focus on the Zags today to get our minds off Stoops disappointing season.

And as nauseating as I find Calipari anymore… at least he won a title. Stoops hasn’t even won the SEC EAST. Mitch is an idiot.
This is the way of college athletics and what coaches are getting nowadays. We do not have to like it but have to just deal with it

• Wow
Reactions: blue woman
To be honest, UK will never be a threat in football to win a national championship, let alone the SEC.

Stoops' ceiling, and UK football in general, is a 10 win season here or there.

Cal needs to perform this tournament, or his seat which is already very warm is going to be on fire.

Both are overpaid anyways.

Kentucky football brings in almost twice the amount of money basketball does. I was also surprised to find out that our basketball program does not bring in as much money as some others.

"It’s true. Kentucky football brings in almost twice as much in revenue as the basketball program. Not only that, Kentucky basketball comes in behind quite a few other basketball programs in terms of profit: Marquette, Northwestern, Pitt, and Louisville, just to name a few."

Quote was from a few years ago so it could be different now but, I know football generates more revenue than basketball so perhaps that is taken into account for salaries.

Last edited:
No wonder Cal was so butthurt this offseason. He was afraid lil ol' UK football was overshadowing his underachieving basketball program.

Cal better get his act together this season or next year will be his last.
Next year will not be his last regardless. Enjoy.

Reactions: jace2012
Just truly remarkable, Stoops is an average at best coach, barely winning over 50% of the games he coached.
He may never win the SEC. In ten years, he’s only tied for second in the east twice and it was during years that the historically good teams were bringing in new coaches. But I doubt UK will ever find anyone better than Stoops and he might threaten to look at other schools but I don’t ever see it happening.

Reactions: kl40504
This is the way of college athletics and what coaches are getting nowadays. We do not have to like it but have to just deal with it
Yep----IU has a fukin HS coach----He makes $4 million. He's terrible, but IU cannot fire him---Yet.

Why?

Because his buyoutis north of $20 Million....

Sheesh.

Yeah but even Calipari will tell you this is a basketball school, so the success that Stoops has taken them is still pretty impressive considering the teams he goes up against.

Sure Calipari has won a championship but so had every other UK coach that has been here as long as he has. It’s a basketball school that gives coaches the opportunity to succeed. Football on the other hand is harder to have success. There was a guy named Bear Bryant (maybe you’ve heard of him); he won 6 national championships but none in his 8 years at UK. In fact he finished 8th or worse in the conference half of his seasons here. Any person with a brain knows it’s easier to succeed at UK as a basketball coach than as a football coach.

He may never win the SEC. In ten years, he’s only tied for second in the east twice and it was during years that the historically good teams were bringing in new coaches. But I doubt UK will ever find anyone better than Stoops and he might threaten to look at other schools but I don’t ever see it happening.
This^^^^-----Stoops is 100% worth every.single.dime he makes. What he has done at UK is crazy.

Reactions: fabcat
Just truly remarkable, Stoops is an average at best coach, barely winning over 50% of the games he coached.
Usually takes a good 3-4 years for a football coach to get his system, his guys, etc.....So I tend to wait until about that 4th year and beyond to accurately judge. Now that doesn't mean you can go 1-9 4 straight seasons...

With that being said, Stoops is 46-27, for 64% since Year 5. First 4 he was 19-30(including 2-10 Year 1), for 38%. He has been to a Bowl game every year since Year 4......

Now is that worth $8 million? Well,that depends. At Alabama, UGA, no----MOF, those #'s get you fired at places like Bama, UGA, LSU, Forida, etc.....But well UK isn't Bama, UGA, LSU, etc.....So well its different. He's making Bama cash, but not producing Bama results----Well, who is besides Clemson, OSU and UGA? In other words, is he worth the $$$ at UK? To me that answer is , "yes".

He has won 64% of his games since 2017. Has been to 6 straight bowls....I mean what other UK coach has done that? And if you fire a guy who has been to 6 stright bowl games, has won 64% of his games, what coach worth a shit is gonna take the job? Exactly what message is UK sending?

Stoops might very well be overpaid, but if we are being fair, dude has eaerned that "overpaid" salary.

Kentucky football brings in almost twice the amount of money basketball does. I was also surprised to find out that our basketball program does not bring in as much money as some others.

"It’s true. Kentucky football brings in almost twice as much in revenue as the basketball program. Not only that, Kentucky basketball comes in behind quite a few other basketball programs in terms of profit: Marquette, Northwestern, Pitt, and Louisville, just to name a few."

Quote was from a few years ago so it could be different now but, I know football generates more revenue than basketball so perhaps that is taken into account for salaries.
Pretty sure the reason UKFB brings in more money is the SEC FB TV rights are a gold mine. The SEC is the undisputed #1 FB conference and it's not even close. I don't think it can be argued that the product on the field/court is comparable even though I'm sure some will try.

Most programs sell alcohol at games. Kentucky does not. I do not know about all teams but I do know that the UL revenue relies on alcohol sales.

Pretty sure the reason UKFB brings in more money is the SEC FB TV rights are a gold mine. The SEC is the undisputed #1 FB conference and it's not even close. I don't think it can be argued that the product on the field/court is comparable even though I'm sure some will try.

No argument. Simply bringing a little perspective as to maybe why Stoops is now making what he does.

Reactions: Bungalow Bill
Stoops has done a lot better in the postseason the past 5 years.

Stoops has OVERachieved considering history and toughness of the SEC.
Calipari has UNDERachieved considering the same factors.
Over achieved based on being one of the worst 2 teams in the SEC, wow, yes Im sure he's worth 9 million. Embarrassing. No matter what happens going forward with Cal the title is worth every penny.

Thank god stoops got us to the Gator Bowl, I've always wanted to win that.

facepalm-really.gif
Has a loosing record in the sec hate to say it but Cal has better results than Stoops

Yeah, if you over look the fact that the SEC E is home to the likely National champion, that might be noteworthy. But never let a few facts get in the way of some deep seething KY Cats hate.

I feel like the SEC has been down until this year due to coaching changes. You still have the top two or three SEC teams but after that it’s a little better than average at best. But the Volunteers are getting better as is UF so we will see

Over achieved based on being one of the worst 2 teams in the SEC, wow, yes Im sure he's worth 9 million. Embarrassing. No matter what happens going forward with Cal the title is worth every penny.

Thank god stoops got us to the Gator Bowl, I've always wanted to win that.

It's been almost 1400 days since we won a NCAA Tournament game. What has Cal been doing? They should take salary away from him until he wins one.

The program has been going downhill since 2015. Facts. Football has been going uphill. Facts.

Comparing glorified exhibitions to a real post season tournament is apples to oranges to me.

Love the Pumpkin

Just because Stoops failed miserably this season you don’t have to take your frustration out on Calipari, take this crap to the football side and discuss with the rest of the disappointed football fans. We are trying to focus on the Zags today to get our minds off Stoops disappointing season.
Some people are actually able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Not me, but some people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT