ADVERTISEMENT

I hope Southern Miss can handle our heat

Id say southern mississippi is no stranger to heat. The coastal areas of MS are tropical in climate. KY is sub-tropical.

I think this was a play on the jokes they made back in 2017 when we went to Southern Miss to open the season and it was Muggy AF down there. We ended up winning 24-17. 2016 was the year they punked us 44-35 in the infamous Drew Barker game. 35 points all in the first half. Zilch in the second.

Reactions: Nuke99m
I think this was a play on the jokes they made back in 2017 when we went to Southern Miss to open the season and it was Muggy AF down there. We ended up winning 24-17. 2016 was the year they punked us 44-35 in the infamous Drew Barker game. 35 points all in the first half. Zilch in the second.

Definitely is just that... I was in on that thread. There were some jokes made then, but there were legit concerns brought up, too.

I was one of the guys making the comment that the heat (moreso humidity) in the south is different than in Lexington, and I had concerns about the team depth going into that game. I grew up in KY, but I've spent a lot of time in southern MS (my wife is from there), and I now live in Tallahassee, FL. The humidity difference is huge, and it is draining. That was the point then.

Definitely is just that... I was in on that thread. There were some jokes made then, but there were legit concerns brought up, too.

I was one of the guys making the comment that the heat (moreso humidity) in the south is different than in Lexington, and I had concerns about the team depth going into that game. I grew up in KY, but I've spent a lot of time in southern MS (my wife is from there), and I now live in Tallahassee, FL. The humidity difference is huge, and it is draining. That was the point then.
I watched the weather forecast for Saturday a little bit ago. It's gonna feel like Southern Mississippi around here. Possibly some thunderstorms but really high humidity levels. Gonna be muggy AF. But hopefully any pop up storms clear out before the game. Really don't want any lightening delays with this being a later than usual game. Just hope it doesn't impact tailgating too much.

Yeah, that was a running theme/joke here, and still is.

FreeTaxReturn really has made a posting career out of the weather jokes from that trip to Hattiesburg on August 31st, 2017, a game I attended.

It was Hot! And we were in the Sun the whole game.

But, with reasonable precautions, . . . suntan lotion, floppy hats, small personal fire extinguishers, etc. we Cat fans made it through the inferno that is Southern Mississippi in August.

Reactions: CGblue and Nuke99m
Adam Sandler GIF

Yeah, that was a running theme/joke here, and still is.

FreeTaxReturn really has made a posting career out of the weather jokes from that trip to Hattiesburg on August 31st, 2017, a game I attended.

It was Hot! And we were in the Sun the whole game.

But, with reasonable precautions, . . . suntan lotion, floppy hats, small personal fire extinguishers, etc. we Cat fans made it through the inferno that is Southern Mississippi in August.
Friendliest opposing team crowd I’ve ever been around. If I heard “welcome to Hattiesburg” one more time, I was going to snap.

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Only 2 states I have found worse is Coastal LA. And coastal SC.

I seriously have to question how folks survived those warmest days/nights prior to AC.

I can generally tolerate heat in the day, so long as I cool down at night. But Kentucky usually drops to 75 degrees at night, even during the “dog days.”

But some places deeper South see the 80’s all night long.

How could they sleep at night?

Reactions: Nuke99m
I seriously have to question how folks survived those warmest days/nights prior to AC.

I can generally tolerate heat in the day, so long as I cool down at night. But Kentucky usually drops to 75 degrees at night, even during the “dog days.”

So, I had a good friend who grew up in deep south Alabama in a house with no a/c. He lived in a 2 story house, and his bedroom was upstairs. His and his brother's method... cover up with blankets until you get so hot you can hardly stand it, and then kick them off so it "feels" cooler long enough for you to fall asleep.

This came up as we were doing mission work together in Haiti in July... staying somewhere with no a/c or even power during the night, and it was WAARRMMM. The other catch was we couldn't leave doors open for airflow b/c there were so many large venomous tarantulas that hunted at night and would look for dark places (like our luggage) as daylight was approaching. Needless to say, we decided to deal with the heat rather than the tarantulas. 😆

The other strategy in Haiti was take a cold shower during the night if it got too hot and you woke up sweating...reset the body temp, and try again.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
The other strategy in Haiti was take a cold shower during the night if it got too hot and you woke up sweating...reset the body temp, and try again.

Me and a girlfriend spent a week in Antigua (the English Island) each in 2004 and 2005. We went in August, boarding a plane in Lexington both years at 95 degrees and 65/80 percent humidity.

We get to Antigua and there is NO air conditioning anywhere, but Antigua is pretty damn small, and there was a constant 15/20 mile-an-hour breeze off the ocean, that hit all portions of the island, and constantly blew curtains open, etc.

Every cabin had a huge ceiling fan.

My girlfriend was/is a self-described “Florida Cracker,” and the temperature at it’s worst was 88 degrees down to 70ish at night.

90 percent of the tourists in Antigua are Brits: and 90 percent of the Brit’s are from the London area. They complained constantly about the lack “of air con.”

But it was pretty cool to us. 90 degree temps are rare for London. We told ‘em what it was like in Central Kentucky and they nearly fainted hearing it.

I had tons of fun with the Brits: they are just as ego-centrict as are Americans . . . and they said I sounded just like Elvis Presley . . . “We’ll, thank ya’, thank ya’ vera’ much!”

So I’m at the all-inclusive-20-hour-a-day bar, and a young Brit leans in so the others can’t hear . . . “so Hack (it is my international nickname) is a ‘buck’ the same as a ‘dollar?’

I said, “yeah, . . . so is a ‘quid’ the same as a ‘pound?’

Have you ever been to the coastal region of Ms? Humidity and heat in KY is not even on the same tier. Only 2 states I have found worse is Coastal LA. And coastal SC.
Went to Talladega back in April 2011 for the Nascar race and camped a full week at the track.. Was miserable through the daytimes and that axed any chance of going back for the fall race.. Could only imagine July through Sept in that area.. I'm not made for that type of humidity..

White Lightning

I am 68 and I grew up without AC as did most of my friends. If you do not have something you do not miss it because you just accepted what you had as the norm. Houses had many more windows than they do today and floor fans were used in bedrooms and living areas. When you travel you will see old motels advertising AC on their signs, if we stayed in a motel my dad always tried to find one with AC. Closest thing to heaven at that time. I was about 14 when my parents got a window unit for their BR, I remember just lying on their floor on those extremely hot July and August days.

Houses had many more windows than they do today and floor fans were used in bedrooms and living areas.

I’m 61, and assumed my youth prevented over heating prior to AC, but I remember my folks had two de-humidifiers and frequently emptied water from them that was pulled from the atmosphere. Defeating the humidity was half or more of the battle.

They got a huge window unit when I was 12, and it could cool the house like a fridge.

The the hottest game I have been to is the UK/UL game in the late 90's. It was boiling hot and had to sit in those plastic pink seats. Fans were dropping like flies.

I’m 61, and assumed my youth prevented over heating prior to AC, but I remember my folks had two de-humidifiers and frequently emptied water from them that was pulled from the atmosphere. Defeating the humidity was half or more of the battle.

They got a huge window unit when I was 12, and it could cool the house like a fridge.
I did not know about dehumidifiers then, but, I have a place in MS. and a dehumidifier is worth it's weight in gold even with AC.

Reactions: The-Hack
The the hottest game I have been to is the UK/UL game in the late 90's. It was boiling hot and had to sit in those plastic pink seats. Fans were dropping like flies.

Yeah, the 1997 opening game of “Papa John’s” stadium . . . 98 in the shade. The Southern Miss game in 2017 was a similar feel. At the U of L game, IIRC, more than 200 were treated for heat problems. Card fans were pretty scarce by the early third quarter, as UK cruised to a 68-34 victory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT