ADVERTISEMENT

I hope BBN doesn't travel for tourney

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Honestly, I hope we are sent out West or as from KY as possible. I know BBN is far and wide but the less fans we have the better for this group IMHO.

Our worst performances (with exception of SC game) this year have been in front of our home crowd and in Nashville which was the equivalent of Rupp.

For whatever reason, this team plays better away from the spotlight of our home crowd.

Maybe it is coincidence but we have really only played one good game all year in front of a massively pro UK crowd and that was Alabama. Every other game was meh or a mess.

Send us out West....and save your money folks.

Edit: In no way am I saying not to support the team...I am simply saying we play better in non-pro UK environments.

Last edited:
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this. But a portion of our fanbase is straight up stupid. Too casual to really understand, go look at the NIl fund. People are still donating 100 dollars or more. And leaving supportive messages of Cal. And yes, some people as we speak. Are saying ''ah, it was just one bad game, we're built for march, the sect doesnt mean much anyway''. And have their tickets bought, reservations made. People who are fans of movie stars, not movies.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this. But a portion of our fanbase is straight up stupid. Too casual to really understand, go look at the NIl fund. People are still donating 100 dollars or more. And leaving supportive messages of Cal. And yes, some people as we speak. Are saying ''ah, it was just one bad game, we're built for march, the sect doesnt mean much anyway''. And have their tickets bought, reservations made. People who are fans of movie stars, not movies.
Or people with optimism in life in general and some disposable cash in their pocket that are called stupid by others that can’t afford it and vomit it all up as jealousy.

This thread is a little over the top. People can do what they want with their money, when they want, and they understand the risks of any travel or expenditure. What one person may call a waste (for whatever reason) is rarely the way everyone else thinks, even if you believe they should think like you.

The risk for only seeing one or two games next weekend is pretty high thanks to Cal, but I'm not going to knock our fans for going and supporting the team. Hell, I'd do it if it were a little closer than what is now projected as Dallas. Doesn't make me "stupid".

EDIT: I probably should have quoted the poster that said people are stupid for spending money because it appears that Cal gets support. Might be one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen, ever.

To the OP, see my response just above. It's a bit wacky to think that fans are going to contemplate no fan support because our team supposedly plays better as part of their decision to attend an NCAAT game. The risk is and has always been - buy the ticket package and risk only seeing one game. Granted, the probability is much higher we lose in the first weekend than it ever used to be, but I'm sure fans are completely aware of those risks. However, this has nothing to do with your thread context (which is still pretty wacky).

Last edited:
Reactions: G-Bloo and Old Jim
This thread is a little over the top. People can do what they want with their money, when they want, and they understand the risks of any travel or expenditure. What one person may call a waste (for whatever reason) isn't always the way everyone else thinks.

The risk for only seeing one or two games next weekend is pretty high thanks to Cal, but I'm not going to knock our fans for going and supporting the team. Hell, I'd do it if it were a little closer than what is now projected as Dallas. Doesn't make me "stupid".
The point is this team plays better when confronted with opposing fans.

Colecovision 1980s GIF - Colecovision 1980s Videogamesystem GIFs

This thread is a little over the top. People can do what they want with their money, when they want, and they understand the risks of any travel or expenditure. What one person may call a waste (for whatever reason) is rarely the way everyone else thinks, even if you believe they should think like you.

EDIT: I probably should have quoted the poster that said people are stupid for spending money because it appears that Cal gets support. Might be one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen, ever.

To the OP, see my response just above. It's a bit wacky to think that fans are going to contemplate no fan support because our team supposedly plays better as part of their decision to attend an NCAAT game. The risk is and has always been - buy the ticket package and risk only seeing one game. Granted, the probability is much higher we lose in the first weekend than it ever used to be, but I'm sure fans are completely aware of those risks. However, this has nothing to do with your thread context (which is still pretty wacky).

That is not what I meant. I simply meant our team seems to be better when fewer of our own fans are there.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. I'm just hopeful we aren't close to KY when the brackets are announced.

If any of you can figure out this team, you're way ahead of me.
I think we've all figured them out. We know exactly what lineups should see more time together. The stats freaks out there regularly post to social media to exhibit the data that proves the "Three Rs" logging as much time together as possible, including starting the game, is our best recipe for winning.

The challenge is how to figure out convincing that stubborn mule coach to do what the entire sports world knows must be done in order to make a deep run. Not going to games because we think the team will perform better in front of opposing fans is, well, pretty laughable of a proposition. Calling fans "stupid" because they choose to spend their money to see the Cats for maybe the only time this year, fully knowing the risks of a loss, well, that's stupid in and of itself.

I'm done with the Cow, but I'm not angry, nor do I hate the man. However, there are a lot of folks on RR that literally hate him to his core, so much so that they now are projecting their hate for him onto this general population of "nut hugger" fans, or fans that are not as over-the-top about the current state of UK basketball to the point where they are stupid for traveling to see UK in the NCAAT.

People can dislike, hate or whatever for Cal all they want. It's his fault we are where we are, and I think most fans recognize that. I just don't understand the transfer of that hate onto fans in general - those "nut huggers" aren't responsible for keeping Cal in that position. Them going to the games isn't going to be a "sign" that he has support and thus can't be fired.

That is not what I meant. I simply meant our team seems to be better when fewer of our owns fans are there.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. I'm just hopeful we aren't close to KY when the brackets are announced.
I got this now, cleared it up in later responses. This was directed more at Running whoever's response and also the other thread topic about fans traveling/wasting money and the wacky responses there.

Good way to show future coaching candidates and recruits how easily fans quit on their team.

Whether we agree Cal is the man for the job or not, we should ALWAYS support our team. Screw the coach, but support OUR team!

"Easily"?

That ship sailed 8 years ago. If people were going to "quit on their team" easily it would've had to happen after 2015. Enduring 5 years of mediocre results from consistently top 5 recruiting classes is NOT giving up easily.

This fan base has approached sainthood in terms of patience with their coaches,and I have yet to see them "quit on their team" in the decades I've lived in KY.

Honestly, I hope we are sent out West or as from KY as possible. I know BBN is far and wide but the less fans we have the better for this group IMHO.

Our worst performances (with exception of SC game) this year have been in front of our home crowd and in Nashville which was the equivalent of Rupp.

For whatever reason, this team plays better away from the spotlight of our home crowd.

Maybe it is coincidence but we have really only played one good game all year in front of a massively pro UK crowd and that was Alabama. Every other game was meh or a mess.

Send us out West....and save your money folks.

Edit: In no way am I saying not to support the team...I am simply saying we play better in non-pro UK environments.
After watching Houston yesterday, I want to be in the region where they are #1.😉

Program or the coach?

I’m not sure there’s a functional difference when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. It’s really on Cal at this point, we can’t “best fanbase” our way into postseason success.

So if I’m picking one, it’s coach.

I think people who play golf are stupid. But folks do what they enjoy and they spend money to do it and that has nothing to do with me. I’m not donating to NIL either and I haven’t been to a game in a few years. But I’m glad someone is.

Reactions: Girthang
"Easily"?

That ship sailed 8 years ago. If people were going to "quit on their team" easily it would've had to happen after 2015. Enduring 5 years of mediocre results from consistently top 5 recruiting classes is NOT giving up easily.

This fan base has approached sainthood in terms of patience with their coaches,and I have yet to see them "quit on their team" in the decades I've lived in KY.
So many people left this board after April 2015. That killed a lot of the fanbase off.

Reactions: Girthang and ck-2
I live two hours away from Dallas. I wouldn’t buy tickets for the S16/E8 there if you gave me the money up front. I just don’t trust this program enough anymore.
I live 1.5miles from AZ Cardinals football stadium and I did not buy FF tix- I did last time it was here a few yrs ago and then a couple yrs later to the FF in Minneapolis- KY should have been in both FFs- never again will I buy tix in advance for a team coached by Cal

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this. But a portion of our fanbase is straight up stupid..
Why in the world would you get flamed for this? All you did was call some of the supportive fans stupid.

Life is too short to be so concerned with what other people do with their money, but by all means, continue on hating on people because they are trying to be positive and encouraging.

Why in the world would you get flamed for this? All you did was call some of the supportive fans stupid.

Life is too short to be so concerned with what other people do with their money, but by all means, continue on hating on people because they are trying to be positive and encouraging.
Spare me with the bleeding heart BS. Messages need to be sent. Ala Vandy vs UK 2012.

That is not what I meant. I simply meant our team seems to be better when fewer of our own fans are there.

Most understood exactly what you meant. This team does seem to be play better when every fan around is against them or neutral. Some teams just thrive on that stuff.

Last edited:
All depends on what UK team shows up. A motivated UK team can beat UH IMO.
The issue I have is that we're to the postseason and there's a question of "what UK team shows up?". That's just indefensible. This time of year you can lose. That's basketball/sports in general. But if you have to question whether your team is going to be ready to engage in a fight when you know that opponent is going to fight-they may not be skilled or half as talented but they compete every game, it's not very inspiring for a successful run.

This falls 100% on the Head Coach and his staff. It's also a major issue that we fans have to hope that the starters don't get the team in a 3 or more possession hole for the better players to come off the bench and dig out of. The Head Coach at Kentucky is willing to piss away minutes to hold up some promise or personal loyalty to spite the rest of the team, the employer, and the fans. It's coaching malpractice. Cal is treating this program like it's a Youth Basketball team that starts the kids whose parents pay for everything. It's pathetic.

Years ago my wife and I spent six grand to attend the final four in Houston. Lost first game and plane did not go back until Monday . Long,long weekend . We have never done it again . You can’t see in big arenas either .

Honestly this team plays the best when backed into a corner with nobody giving them a chance…games against decent competition that we “expect” to win have been problematic.

I went to games and supported the coach and team during Tubby, Billy, 2010, 2015, 9-16 team, and this year. I've been at SEC tourney wins and bad losses. I'll do it next year snd every year I'm able no matter the coach or quality of team. I'll be at the first round next weekend if it's not out west. It's what fans do. It's not stupid. Calling for fans to not travel or not support the team is stupid.

I went to Nashville for the SECT. I won’t go to another as long as Cal is at the helm. Friday night was brutal and the fans were so pissed and expressed it loudly the other night. I’ve been to roughly 300 UK basketball games in person… most of them in Rupp. The other night had some real venom from the base. Different tenor… uncomfortable and revealing. Guys, Cal is loathed by MANY in the base.

I’ve lost so much money going to tourney games and others non conference big games at neutral sites the last several years. We usually lose most of these games I attend, and it’s disheartening… and expensive. I lose so much money trying to resell after Cats are eliminated. I really love this team and hoped… but once again paid the price.

I will go to 1-2 games in Rupp per year for nostalgia sake, but need new vision and a coach that is dying to win before investing anymore in events like this weekend.

With that said… to each his own on this. I understand why people would still go and why they wouldn’t.

Decision for me has been made easy… Cal has burned me too many years now!

Last edited:
I went to games and supported the coach and team during Tubby, Billy, 2010, 2015, 9-16 team, and this year. I've been at SEC tourney wins and bad losses. I'll do it next year snd every year I'm able no matter the coach or quality of team. I'll be at the first round next weekend if it's not out west. It's what fans do. It's not stupid. Calling for fans to not travel or not support the team is stupid.
I arranged my schedule. If I can get there, I’m going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT